Junta cancels free flights of THAI board members

webfact

It would be better for them to address the free tickets for family, friends, acquaintances of Thai staff...ie, 20,000 as opposed to the tiny number of board members.

The devil is in the detail.

If the Board can't take free flights, who else can? That's the clever bit, don't you think?

• Like 2

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On every Thai flight I have ever been on (Europe / Australia to or from Thailand) there have always been vacant seats. Unless the staff are taking up seats that would otherwise be filled by paying passengers I don't know that it will save money.

The extra administrative costs and the fuel to transport a 70kg person and their 20kg of luggage is negligible so how will it save money?

They might make money by doing some work. You are aware that Thai Airways are broke, don't you?

So you're inferring they won't save money by stopping the free flights? The money will be saved because the board members are actually taking the free flights during the times that they should be working?

That does not make sense as the board members would be on quite a high salary I would assume so the cost of a flight ticket will be insignificant and would not dissuade them from taking the flights that you infer impedes constructive work output.

If they are in fact taking flights that impede on work output then the General should implement a different work culture or put the board members on probation. Why are the board members still working if they take time off when they should be working. This is a question for the government and the share holders as it is state owned with public shares as well?

So what you're really saying is that the government and the shareholders are responsible for allowing the board members to get away with this "flights during work time" scenario?

Thai airways are not broke. They had a net lose of 12 billion baht in 2013 and expect the same this year.

So if anyone can answer my question it would be appreciated.

It would be better for them to address the free tickets for family, friends, acquaintances of Thai staff...ie, 20,000 as opposed to the tiny number of board members.

The devil is in the detail.

If the Board can't take free flights, who else can? That's the clever bit, don't you think?

Anyway, Thai staff don't have free tickets for themselves or their families. Like any other airline around the world Thai has a system with reduced prices for their staff for travel.

However, these tickets like any other airline only come into play with empty available seats (seats not sold).

These seats cannot be booked in advance, only listed, and they will not be given free for staff until shortly before departure.

All the free tickets for government positions is a completely different story.

The prices the staff pay for these seats are actually higher than the real cost, so the airline do not loose anything. They actually generate a little amount of profit on these empty seats.

regards

• Like 2

Most members of any Board Of Directors are grossly over paid and get really big money while workers that actually perform get very little . Eliminate their high salaries and present bonuses. Pay them only if there are profits.

you better go and live in communist country.....

yes communists got big because some super rich abused the poor.

• Like 2

Thai airways are not broke. They had a net lose of 12 billion baht in 2013 and expect the same this year.

In addition, if the Board are paying for their first class seats then they'll be contributing to reducing the huge deficit.

Thai Airways remain broke and 5000 jobs are being axed to streamline the company. Jeez.

On every Thai flight I have ever been on (Europe / Australia to or from Thailand) there have always been vacant seats. Unless the staff are taking up seats that would otherwise be filled by paying passengers I don't know that it will save money.

The extra administrative costs and the fuel to transport a 70kg person and their 20kg of luggage is negligible so how will it save money?

They might make money by doing some work. You are aware that Thai Airways are broke, don't you?

So you're inferring they won't save money by stopping the free flights? The money will be saved because the board members are actually taking the free flights during the times that they should be working?

That does not make sense as the board members would be on quite a high salary I would assume so the cost of a flight ticket will be insignificant and would not dissuade them from taking the flights that you infer impedes constructive work output.

If they are in fact taking flights that impede on work output then the General should implement a different work culture or put the board members on probation. Why are the board members still working if they take time off when they should be working. This is a question for the government and the share holders as it is state owned with public shares as well?

So what you're really saying is that the government and the shareholders are responsible for allowing the board members to get away with this "flights during work time" scenario?

Thai Airways is effectively broke, just like 90% of the world's airlines. It is being propped up by the govt. It will not survive a deregulated ASEAN market without ongoing govt support.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that many International airlines operate a "free/reduced rate" flight for employees/directors, if these board members are on official business, wouldn't a free flight on their own air line be part and parcel of the trip?

It's not any different than making bogus expenses claims, which has been happening with many UK MP's.

It seems a strange thing to have done, I guess you need to be careful these days with the "perks of the job" attitude?

I purchased a promotional fare ticket for international travel then tried to upgrade to business class a few days later. I was told I couldn't pay for an upgrade unless I also paid a 3,000 Baht change fee. Ridiculous! I wanted to give them money and they wouldn't take it! Of course, there were empty seats in business on the outbound flight. We in economy didn't even get alcohol! And my promotional fare got me my choice of seats...as long as they were in the last 4 rows of the aircraft!

An insane way to run a business.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bet the Army was reading TVF before the coup. Because they're addressing pretty much all of the problems being complained about here. Since they are listening, how about those extensions of stay for unmarried under 50's with $$, single proprietor companies for freelancers, getting the PR process up to speed and other immigration pet peeves, eh ?

It would be so easy to kick out the dross and leave the jewels to the great benefit of Thailand as well as the individuals concerned. Maybe someone will have the sense to see it but I wouldn't hold my breath

• Like 1

In addition, if the Board are paying for their first class seats then they'll be contributing to reducing the huge deficit.

Thai Airways remain broke and 5000 jobs are being axed to streamline the company. Jeez.

You still can't answer my question. So in other words you don't know either. Don't be ashamed, I don't know too and the best response I got so far is from Prbkk who stated it was a token gesture. Nice one and it makes sense. Thanks Prbkk!

5000 jobs being axed does not mean a company is bankrupt. If they were bankrupt they would not have been able to absorb the 12 billion baht loss last year. Show me ONE link where Thai airways have filed for bankruptcy and I will show you a blue flying pig. They are in finical difficulties, but rest assured they are not broke.

Are you Fab4's brother?

<EDIT> According to aviation links Thai are not broke either? See here and here.

Edited by djjamie

The junta are doing things that should have been done long ago. Only difference is that they actually have the balls to do it. Every little thing counts. Bravo!

Looks like the junta have clearly examined what made the likes of Thaksin Shinawatra and other authoritarian Thai leaders past popular. Well done. Let's see where this goes...

A net lose of 12bn baht and they're not broke. I'm now going to bang my head against a wall.

All you have highlighted here is that finance is not your strong point.

If you cannot answer my question. Don't say anything Fab5!

They're are national carrier, djjamie. National carriers invariably don't go to the wall. It's a national embarrassment if they did.

You're being argumentative for the sake of it. Thai Airways remain broke whether you like it or not.

Show me? Where have you read they are broke? Where did they file for bankruptcy? It didn't make news.

You have even contradicted your own statement!

National carriers invariably don't go to the wall So they are not broke,

Thai Airways remain broke But they are broke.

They are either broke or not broke. Which one is it?

Edited by djjamie

I have a feeling that many International airlines operate a "free/reduced rate" flight for employees/directors, if these board members are on official business, wouldn't a free flight on their own air line be part and parcel of the trip?

It's not any different than making bogus expenses claims, which has been happening with many UK MP's.

It seems a strange thing to have done, I guess you need to be careful these days with the "perks of the job" attitude?

Yeah I'm pretty sure board members of any airline would get discount or free flights as the cost is negligible in the scheme of things. This is clearly a PR stunt but it's in line with many of the moves the junta has made so far. Like I say, they've obviously studied history and looked at the likes of Thaksin, not to mention Sarit, Phibun et al, and what made them initially popular. Cracking down on entrenched interests is no doubt a positive move, but we'll see down the line whether new interests haven't appeared in the stead of the old "influences".

• Like 1

They're are national carrier, djjamie. National carriers invariably don't go to the wall. It's a national embarrassment if they did.

You're being argumentative for the sake of it. Thai Airways remain broke whether you like it or not.

Show me? Where have you read they are broke? Where did they file for bankruptcy? It didn't make news.

They are not broke, but they are. They are either broke or not broke.

The Government and now Junta have not allowed them to go to the wall and are propping them up, Jamie. Get over it.

The Junta are now battening down the hatches and endeavouring to turn the company around. It's quite simple but you prefer to argue semantics.

They are not broke, but they are. They are either broke or not broke.

The Government and now Junta have not allowed them to go to the wall and are propping them up, Jamie. Get over it.

The Junta are now battening down the hatches and endeavouring to turn the company around. It's quite simple but you prefer to argue semantics.

Get over what? I said they were not broke. I was right.

So after all that you agree that I was right. I stated about 5 posts ago and tried to convince you which you now begrudgingly admit.

Thank you.

Please Gen Prayuth, for the love of Mary, do not relinquish control back to the Shinawatras. All your good work will be undone in days. The good news just keeps on rolling in, something we have not seen since the dark day that Thaksin ascended to power. Hooray for Gen Prayuth!!

Agree, a quote from a Professor of International Politics for when elections are held in the future.

"To choose the Thaksin regime is to guarantee the death of democracy for Thailand's foreseeable future"

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0529-thompson-thai-coup-20140529-story.html

And that quote went on to say............. To support the army, may, just may, be the only way to restore it. It has been a general historical truth that regimes bringing order at least make a democratic transition possible. The converse is seldom true. Permissive regimes tend to lead to crackdowns that doom enlightened rule.

So if you agree with the Professor of International Politics you must agree that the PTP were a permissive regime. Yet we are constantly told on here that the PTP were a dictatorship - what's it to be?

Easy----both

The prices the staff pay for these seats are actually higher than the real cost, so the airline do not loose anything. They actually generate a little amount of profit on these empty seats.

Not if they are ID90's they don't! Maybe if they are ID50's on certain routes and classes, depending on seniority.

They would be fools to stop these though, they are a relatively inexpensive industry-standard perk that makes a job with an otherwise relatively miserable salary more attractive.

• Like 1

Please Gen Prayuth, for the love of Mary, do not relinquish control back to the Shinawatras. All your good work will be undone in days. The good news just keeps on rolling in, something we have not seen since the dark day that Thaksin ascended to power. Hooray for Gen Prayuth!!

The people will decide thru voting, not GENERAL PRAYUTH

I would love the General to get all the donations back off Suthep, must be hundreds of plastic bags full of money,that he collected from unlawful protests

Been on a space flight have we ?? returned in a time warp.

• Like 1