discrimination local businesses

epicstuff

I dont think its right either, the costs involved are the same so why should double pricing exist,

that being said, if they are going to blatently take advantage of you being a foreginer, I would hope you could take advntage of being a foreigner, but Im not sure how you could benefit, or what tax laws there are or anything

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From time to time I start to get really pissed off with being treated differently as a farang living here. Especially when I have to pay double ( or more) my Thai friends , to do the same thing, even if it is me paying for the rest of my family Thai family.

I could understand say, having a price for tourists and maybe a discount for residents. There are some businesses that will on offer a Thai price cost of admission etc when showing a Thai driving licence. But having a pricing policy based on race alone really gets under my skin

. When I last queried the price of a local attraction to take my son for his birthday I was really surprised how unapologetic the staff were telling me yes your a farang so you pay more......

I queried it by email and their response was confirmation of that policy and there reasoning was everybody else does it. And that I could buy a resident card for 3500 that would get me a discount.

It is one of the things that leaves a bad taste in my mouth and not many countries left in the world that accept this kind of attitude. Can we start a name and shame thread on businesses attractions and locations that are blatantly discriminate against people from the color of their skin.

I am sure these businesses shoot themselves in the foot as I would never recommend these places to anyone asking my advise on where to go. why would I ?.... Maybe we can make a difference and introduce fairer treatment.so we hard-working Farang resident here, who struggle to make ends meet much of the time holding up businesses with massive bureaucratic overheads and Thai families to support, can occasional relax and enjoy some attractions with the people that share their neighbourhood without the feeling of being raped

I'll kick off with..

Adventure Mini Golf, in Bantao beach, surprisingly Farang directors.....so it is purely a greed driving this blatant discrimination, there policy isn't working for them as the place is like a morgue every time I drive past it., Shame because it is the sort of place that I could imagine being full and fun and getting a lot of my business.But not Now!!!

And this golf place charges 150 bht for a beer, rip off!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Alwayssunny

Seems to me that this OP has grown out of control and hard to decipher anything anymore with so many toxic views.

We Farangs get overcharged as a matter of principal - their principal.

We either cough up - or walk away - there is no other option. It’s ludicrous to think that by all these posts albeit ‘pro or anti’ will help the situation. I get my back-up as well. However, such is life, there are more important issues in one's life than trying to make changes that are set in concrete. Regrettably, this malpractice is seen as a perk that is replicated around the world. As tourists flock in to their domain, can assure you nobody gives a flying
whether you’re on holiday or a resident.

All these people who say you must accept or boycott it are ‘unfortunately’ or characteristically right no matter which way you care to look at it. There’s no point airing your views so strongly, if there is no chance for change now or in the said’ future. I believe it won’t happen in my life time since familiarity breeds contempt.

Anyway, for what it’s worth hope this helps a little – but suspect not – if the TV hardliners have anything to say about it !!!

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 1

On the flip side, I went to a bar that was either managed or owned by a Farang and when he saw me enter the line he waived me in without admission. I had to look around and thought something was up but I looked over and he was charging some Asian guys a fee. I don't know if he though I was a somebody or what but it was the Bamboo on Soi 3 Suk.

Mind you, this was awhile ago and it could have been an isolated incident, but it was weird...

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Getting annoyed easily is a farang trait. The longer you live here, the more patience and tolerance you will have to the point that eventually you will develop a "mai pen rai" like Thai's. Life is not always fair and will never be so we learn to adapt otherwise the frustration and unhappiness eats you up.

So true. My favourite used to be motorcycles on the sidewalk vooming past me and I almost lost it when one clipped my girlfriend. This and many other things no longer bother me so you're right as tolerance had settled in.

So true. My favourite used to be motorcycles on the sidewalk vooming past me and I almost lost it when one clipped my girlfriend. This and many other things no longer bother me so you're right as tolerance had settled in.

Tolerance, or resignation?

They ain't the same thing.

Tolerance, or resignation?

They ain't the same thing.

I think it is resignation... sad, but it's how I sometimes feel also. Seems everyone is right and wrong all at the same time.

Is it possible to tolerate someone peeing in your face? Literally. For me no, but if I can't do anything about it then... I would have resigned to the fact, even though it is intolerable.

It is not based on race but nationality. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. all pay the foreigners price. And it hardly ever happens, so far I have not been anywhere where I could not get in for the Thai price.

I understand the policy for (semi) government attractions (locals pay less), for private enterprises it should IMO not be allowed.

I made a FAKE (cut & paste) newspaper report about Disney USA charging double prices for (foreign) Asians, because the Asian economy was so much stronger than the American economy. LOL ... you should have heard the anger and disgust from my Thai colleagues.

French people booking a day trip to Disneyworld in Paris using the local internet pay a lot less than UK residents doing the same from the UK.

It is not based on race but nationality. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. all pay the foreigners price. And it hardly ever happens, so far I have not been anywhere where I could not get in for the Thai price.

I understand the policy for (semi) government attractions (locals pay less), for private enterprises it should IMO not be allowed.

I made a FAKE (cut & paste) newspaper report about Disney USA charging double prices for (foreign) Asians, because the Asian economy was so much stronger than the American economy. LOL ... you should have heard the anger and disgust from my Thai colleagues.

French people booking a day trip to Disneyworld in Paris using the local internet pay a lot less than UK residents doing the same from the UK.

Yes well the French never did understand cricket - and it's just not cricket is it - in France or Thailand or anywhere else for that matter. Just plain rude and offensive.

Tony's Fitness has even signs with two prices, one for Thai and one for the others

So does the Bangkok Aquarium in Siam Paragon last time I visited.

If we did this sort of thing in our country, we'd hear the cries of racism from all over the globe. We already do without this sort of policy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, what's the point of your post ? I'd guess 99% of TV members agree with you. But as someone previously commented, it's been this way for like forever & ain't likely to change. It's their country, their culture, their rules.... It's inbred, they don't know any better. Get over it.

Hell no, don't get over it, boycott all places who charge falang twice or more from what Thais pay bah.gif

Everything you say is the same in USA. Go to a Virginia historical site and show your USA ID. Discount given. Many places do that. Do you think Americans discriminate against Mexicans, etc. You bet they do. You should be discriminated also but not necessarily in a negative way all of the time.

There is no USA ID. Do you mean a State driver's license? You don't have to be a US citizen to get one of those, just some kind of local address.

At Virginia historical sites run by the national park service there is no need to show ID, nor are you asked to, as the admission fee is the same for everyone.

You can google nps dot gov and click the fees and reservations page yourself.

Note that a day pass to the biggest one, Manassas National Battefield Park, is $3 (100 baht). A year pass is 640 baht.

Edited by john_bkk919

I prefer to shop at "mom and pop" stores, and the local market.
However, there were a few of them, that charged me different prices than Thais. (charged me more)

Same with some of the stands at the market.

I don't like to see (at least I didn't when I first moved here), western chains like Tesco Lotus, Big C, Mc'Donalds, etc. kind of stores moving in.
I feel that they (western franchises) take away from the culture here and also take money out of the local economy.
However, they do charge the same to everyone, so, I started going there. mostly for that reason.
Now, most all the "mom and pop" stores are gone.
More and more convenient chains are everywhere, where the small family run places used to be.
The Thais can blame it on themselves IMO>
Of course they wont' and won't blame the dual pricing system,
But, that's the reason I moved on.
So, IMO things will sort themselves out.
But, it's not a good thing.
The culture will eventually die out and you will all get what you wish for: All the same rules that you have where you came from.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

However, there were a few of them, that charged me different prices than Thais. (charged me more)

I don't like to see (at least I didn't when I first moved here), western chains like Tesco Lotus, Big C, Mc'Donalds, etc. kind of stores moving in.
I feel that they (western franchises) take away from the culture here and also take money out of the local economy.
However, they do charge the same to everyone, so, I started going there. mostly for that reason.
More and more convenient chains are everywhere, where the small family run places used to be.
The culture will eventually die out and you will all get what you wish for: All the same rules that you have where you came from.

Western chains take over in Denmark too and we don't do double pricing. All this arguing of double pricing is for people

there wants to kill time. Thaipeople get a discount because most Thai not have the sort of Money like outsiders. OK for me. People complaining shuould be happy they can stay in cheapThailand. If doublepricing upset them so much, they couldn't afford to live in there homecountry. Be happy for Amazing Thailand instead of complaining and mouning about this and that. You have a free choise to stay or leave.

• Like 1

I totally disagree with you. It is not a higher fee for farangs. It is a lower fee for Thais. Everything you say is the same in USA. Go to a Virginia historical site and show your USA ID. Discount given. Many places do that. Do you think Americans discriminate against Mexicans, etc. You bet they do. You should be discriminated also but not necessarily in a negative way all of the time.

Really you should stay in the country where you were born but you live in a foreign country. There is a huge difference being in another country - language, cost of living, culture, etc

For example, what does $10 mean to you. That is a whole day's wages for a Thai. They would like to go out also but cannot because you have increased their cost of living by simply being here as a tourist, as a business owner, big corp selling into this market, etc. You caused the inflation along with foreign companies that want to do business here. You have actually ruined many of their lives. Now - get on track - pay more!!!!!! Let the Thais - who own this land and are citizens of this land - have their normal price that should go along with $10/day income. You pay more! I am American and have no problems paying more. I should.

Most Thais I know make 3-5 HUNDRED THOUSAND baht per month; I make a fraction of that so what u say is utter crap

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I totally disagree with you. It is not a higher fee for farangs. It is a lower fee for Thais. Everything you say is the same in USA. Go to a Virginia historical site and show your USA ID. Discount given. Many places do that. Do you think Americans discriminate against Mexicans, etc. You bet they do. You should be discriminated also but not necessarily in a negative way all of the time.

Really you should stay in the country where you were born but you live in a foreign country. There is a huge difference being in another country - language, cost of living, culture, etc

For example, what does $10 mean to you. That is a whole day's wages for a Thai. They would like to go out also but cannot because you have increased their cost of living by simply being here as a tourist, as a business owner, big corp selling into this market, etc. You caused the inflation along with foreign companies that want to do business here. You have actually ruined many of their lives. Now - get on track - pay more!!!!!! Let the Thais - who own this land and are citizens of this land - have their normal price that should go along with $10/day income. You pay more! I am American and have no problems paying more. I should.

Most Thais I know make 3-5 HUNDRED THOUSAND baht per month; I make a fraction of that so what u say is utter crap

Not crap ! You just proved my point. You can survive in Thailand and obvious not in Your home country.

Not crap ! You just proved my point. You can survive in Thailand and obvious not in Your home country.

I can survive quite well in either, you know nothing about me or what I do

Point is, there are enough rich Thais to make your point moot, this aint cambodia

Western chains take over in Denmark too and we don't do double pricing. All this arguing of double pricing is for people

there wants to kill time. Thaipeople get a discount because most Thai not have the sort of Money like outsiders. OK for me. People complaining shuould be happy they can stay in cheapThailand. If doublepricing upset them so much, they couldn't afford to live in there homecountry. Be happy for Amazing Thailand instead of complaining and mouning about this and that. You have a free choise to stay or leave.

And how long have you lived in Thailand, and do you pay any sort of tax here?.

Some Thais are very well off, more so than many Farangs, not all but some.

Yes we have a free choice to remain here or leave, the same as we have a choice to support any establishments that discriminates against us.

Yes we have a free choice to remain here or leave, the same as we have a choice to support any establishments that discriminates against us.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thail

My personaly stay and econony has nothing to do with my attitude.

Just keep mouning an see a half emty glass of Water instead of seeing a haf full

If You pay so much more for Your needs in Thailand than Thais do, it must be You whom don't know how to cope out there.

Final from me

Hope You one day wil find happiness in Your life out there.

Screw me once, shame on you.
Screw me twice shame on me.

I used to buy a coconut water from the a lady at the local market.
One day, I caught her charging a Thai (and let he butt in line, in front of me als), a lower price than me.
That was about 4 months ago.
I haven't bought one since.
Many times (including just today) she gives me a sad look, as if to say: Why don't you buy from me anymore?
If I knew how to say the above quote in Thai (screw me once..................) I would.

Anyway, someone said, there's no more Mom and Pop stores in my hometown.
We have a local farmers market there too, that's expanded into T-shirts, shoes, yes, even the Chinese guy selling everything under the sun out of cardboard boxes, as well as local produce of course.
It's where I buy most of my food when I'm back there.

I like dealing with real people.
And, those people don't need a calculator to figure out how much change to give you if the price is 95 and you give them a 100 either. (extra rant there)

• Like 2

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thail

My personaly stay and econony has nothing to do with my attitude.

Just keep mouning an see a half emty glass of Water instead of seeing a haf full

If You pay so much more for Your needs in Thailand than Thais do, it must be You whom don't know how to cope out there.

Final from me

Hope You one day wil find happiness in Your life out there.

I think your attitude may change when you have been here longer than a tourist.

Not only do I not like this form of discrimination, neither does my Thai wife and her family, they also complain, according to you perhaps they should also leave Thailand.

I guess that point is arguable .. the Jews are Caucasian but it is still considered racist to gas them.....

Should be a law against blatant discrimination.. it doest send the right message to anyone one on so many different levels.

Well this Adventure mini golf is adamant that they have a different price for Farang no apologies, no exception, and from their email they believe everywhere else is the same.....

The Jews originate in Ur and therefore are Sumerian which is Mesopotamia: Modern day Iraq! So not Caucasian. They will however, probably have to pay the dual pricing like the rest of us.

Sometimes I think I must be living in a parallel world.

Edited by Bpuumike

Screw me once, shame on you.

Screw me twice shame on me.

I used to buy a coconut water from the a lady at the local market.

One day, I caught her charging a Thai (and let he butt in line, in front of me als), a lower price than me.

That was about 4 months ago.

I haven't bought one since.

Many times (including just today) she gives me a sad look, as if to say: Why don't you buy from me anymore?

If I knew how to say the above quote in Thai (screw me once..................) I would.

Anyway, someone said, there's no more Mom and Pop stores in my hometown.

We have a local farmers market there too, that's expanded into T-shirts, shoes, yes, even the Chinese guy selling everything under the sun out of cardboard boxes, as well as local produce of course.

It's where I buy most of my food when I'm back there.

I like dealing with real people.

And, those people don't need a calculator to figure out how much change to give you if the price is 95 and you give them a 100 either. (extra rant there)

My 'hometown' has a thriving daily farmers' market and dozens of Mom & Pop stores.

There's also a Lotus Express but few can afford to shop there.