Overstay 6 months

Hey everyone I am new to the forum and just looking for some suggestions.

I arrived in Thailand January first and as it was my first time leaving the US, I was unfortunately a bit ignorant to the visa code... When I realized I was 2 months overstay, I asked a lawyer what I should do. He said to just wait out the 6 months (length of stay) until I leave and pay at the airport.

My question is: Due to the political unrest and recent declaration of Martial Law, should I risk bringing my 20,000 to the airport because their might be more frequent passport checks? Or should I go to the Immigration Office a day before I leave and "surrender" myself and show them my ticket home, money, etc?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hmmmm, good luck with that plan, haven't had any reports recently on how that goes, please post later with your story. Especially reporting on Friday with flight not until the next day. Might work, would be interested in how it comes out.

On the other hand, have had many successful reports of people on overstay just going to Swampy, checking in, heading to Immigration and the Overstay Desk, paying up, and on their way. Some returning the next day since at least for now, an overstay seems to have no real consequences.

Mac

• Like 1

Just make sure you go a bit earlier to the airport to take care of the fine. Be polite, pay up and leave the country. You will receive an overstay stamp in your passport which has no consequences for a future return .............yet.

Just go to the airport with 20,000 baht in your pocket, check in for your flight, proceed to departure immigration and inform the officer that directs people to the lines that you are on overstay. You will then be directed to the overstay office where they will take your money stamp your passport and give you a receipt for the 20k baht and then proceed to the gate for your flight.

If you to an immigration office with the 20k baht they might very well tell you to go to the airport and leave paying your fine on departure. Or you would pay the fine, apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht for it and get a stamp giving you 7 days to leave the country.

Just go to the airport with 20,000 baht in your pocket, check in for your flight, proceed to departure immigration and inform the officer that directs people to the lines that you are on overstay. You will then be directed to the overstay office where they will take your money stamp your passport and give you a receipt for the 20k baht and then proceed to the gate for your flight.

If you to an immigration office with the 20k baht they might very well tell you to go to the airport and leave paying your fine on departure. Or you would pay the fine, apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht for it and get a stamp giving you 7 days to leave the country.

"If you to an immigration office with the 20k baht they might very well tell you to go to the airport and leave paying your fine on departure."

...or they may not. They may arrest you, charge you with overstaying and have you appear in court, which will involve a stay in IDC, something that you really do not want to experience. It's a big gamble. Just keep a low profile and pay at the airport.

• Like 2

...or they may not. They may arrest you, charge you with overstaying and have you appear in court, which will involve a stay in IDC, something that you really do not want to experience. It's a big gamble. Just keep a low profile and pay at the airport.

The only people that I have heard of being sent to detention are those that did not have the money to pay the fine or raised a stink about having to pay it.

Just going to the airport can be the best option in most cases.

But if a person who only has one or two days of overstay and still needs a few more days before leaving going to immigration to apply for the 7 day extension would still be a good choice.

• Like 1

On a German website yesterday I read

Under current political situation, there is no court with no government avalible! Or Lawer that defend you!

People come on conflict with law have no possibility defend themselves !

The military court makes a decision and that's final !

Don't know is it a German hoax report or true ?

Proberbly you wait better one year a new gov comes back!

On a German website yesterday I read

Under current political situation, there is no court with no government avalible! Or Lawer that defend you!

People come on conflict with law have no possibility defend themselves !

The military court makes a decision and that's final !

Don't know is it a German hoax report or true ?

Proberbly you wait better one year a new gov comes back!

That is referring to cases that fall under the orders of the NCPO that are tried in military courts.

Those cases are basically for protesting or saying things against the coup, insurrection and etc.

Normal cases are still handled by the normal process.

So yes it is a bit of scaremongering.

• Like 2

OP, I guess we are all 'a bit ignorant to the visa code' when we first arrive in Thailand, but that's why they put a stamp in our passports to indicate the date we need to leave the country (or have some form of extension in place). I think anyone who comes to a country with enough cash for a 6 month stay (my assumption) can take 10 minutes to update himself on the conditions of his visa exemption. You're asking us to accept that you didnt even glance at the stamp in your passport ? Those first two months must have been awfully hectic, what with a new job and all ;)

• Like 2

Just make sure you go a bit earlier to the airport to take care of the fine. Be polite, pay up and leave the country. You will receive an overstay stamp in your passport which has no consequences for a future return .............yet.

Carib is right ... go early to the airport. pay the fine and go home..

Just check in to the flight, After the check in you can go through the passport control and there is a desk where people who overstayed their visit line up to pay their fines. Just make sure you have enough cash money with you to pay the fine. It is really no big deal. Just make you have enough time. So make sure you are first in line on the check in desk. Be nice and smile and all will go just fine.

Keep us posted here how it went after you are back in the USA. Just curious.

Good luck on your journey !!!

Edited by ThailandGuy

don't worry man; people on this website are always inflammatory and many negatives forgeiners here. You did what you thought was best at the time so do the same this time..they'll be happy to take the 20,000 baht as long as you look presentable and tell them the truth you'll have nothing to worry about...its dirty looking people with no money they want out of their country. Avoid police and Immigration at all costs.

make sure you shave and dress like a business person... get a haircut... don't drink before you go to the airport. Make sure you have a family member who is waiting for your email or text saying you made it after you get to the gate. Smile and look apologetic. Have at least 25 one thousand baht bills in your wallet.

Think about what you are going to say when they ask you why you over stayed so long.

Try not to think about the model who just got sent to prison in Thailand for 15 years for having 250 grams of cocaine.

'Just left through Swampy a couple of weeks ago (and also a couple of weeks prior to that). There were no stops, no papers checks, nothing unusual at all. There's no incentive to go to an immigration office. You're probably more likely to have a random RTP encounter on the city streets (which wouldn't be good, in your case...). Just do as many others are suggesting and be sure & have B20K (and a good attitude) with you when you get to the immigration counters (& overstay desk) at Swampy, which you should get on with the sooner the better. The overstay stamp you get may mean something down the road or it may not; for now there's no impact on your return chances. You don't really have a practical alternative. I wouldn't linger in Thailand in your current status...

Relax.

Those who might (and the odds are not very high) end up checking a passport , would check that one has a valid visa in the passport, and very unlikely will check 90 reporting.

Just wait until you leave the country...with 20,000 bahts in your right hand...

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, I guess we are all 'a bit ignorant to the visa code' when we first arrive in Thailand, but that's why they put a stamp in our passports to indicate the date we need to leave the country (or have some form of extension in place). I think anyone who comes to a country with enough cash for a 6 month stay (my assumption) can take 10 minutes to update himself on the conditions of his visa exemption. You're asking us to accept that you didnt even glance at the stamp in your passport ? Those first two months must have been awfully hectic, what with a new job and all wink.png

My thoughts exactly!

As I understand the position, if he went to his nearest Immigration office and applied for a 7-day extension, (having first purchased a ticket out of the country, he will not be arrested, provided he has the funds to pay his fine. If, however, the OP was stopped for any reason and required to produce his passport, He WILL go to prison until he pays his fine for overstaying and can prove that he has a ticket out of the country.

As others have said, dress smartly and be polite to the Immigration officers.

Alan

I have read few months ago, that if you overstay even few days, you go to jail, they said they will toghten the rules.......

but I guess they still allow overstay, which is ok with me....

There are always rumors that are nothing more than scaremongering going around about overstaying.

If you get caught with one you will have a problem. But leaving from the airport will not be problem unless you have other legal issues that show up when they check for them.

I just wouldnt want the BiB to have this kind of leverage over me if they happened to ask for my passport, crackdown or no crackdown. I met an American a few years back who openly admitted to having overstayed for several years, teaching English privately and raising a family in Thailand. For a guy who seemed to still have his marbles, I couldnt believe how laid back he was about it - 'I'll just go to the airport and pay the fine !' Amazing Thailand - Sabai Sabai ;)