Backup software - any recommendations?

bino

After going through another hard disk failure (Seagate disk was only a few days beyond a year old), I'm looking for a bit of software to automate a weekly backup to a second hard disk in my computer.

I'd like something that is somewhat "selective" only back up specified folders, and only the new and modified files within.

Othe solutions I have tried seem to back up the entire folder only, and soon I have several sets of folders and the hard disk gets filled up.

If anyone has good ideas, I'd be interested to hear about them.

I use a software called SyncBack....very satisfied.

Have a complete backup made with "True Image" so I don't need to start with a fresh installation. And the data weekly with SyncBack.

I used to use the Norton Ghost for a complete system backup, but it doesn't support Windows 8 anymore.

now I use SecondCopy to copy my DATA to a second harddisk in the machine. different from a backup, it is a 'native' copy of the data in its original format into the second location. more or less a mirror.

in some active folders, I sync or secondcopy every 2 hours. good to protect overwriting of data, and I could retrieve the data immediately in its original format. and of course it serves the purpose of data backup.

well, get a big and affordable spinning HD for it.

There are hundreds of options out there. Any of the file sync options mentioned above are good. I would also make an image of at least the C partition of your disk too. You could use Windows' built in imaging do do that, or perhaps something like Macrium Reflect free. Or you could use something like EaseUS backup free to do both file and image backup. Also - though I don't do it myself - I can't help thinking backing up your personal data to the cloud, using something like Crashplan, makes a lot of sense. You have many options..

Did you puechase the drive in Europe?

If so it should still be under warranty.

Unfortunately no- bought it here. It was in an HP PC, with one year warranty. Amazing how stuff always breaks almost always within days after the warranty expires. Incredible engineering.

Thanks for all the replies -Syncback is getting the most recommendations... It looks good.

Cobian also looks good... highly customizable and free. Liking that part a lot!

Another option is something like a Western Digitial MyCloud NAS drive, which comes bundled with backup software for Windows, or supports the built-in backup utility (Time Machine) on Mac's.

This isn't going to backup to your second internal drive though, but it does have the benefit of being able to backup your files on phones/tablets too, and also supports DLNA streaming of video/music to PC's, Phones, Tablets, TV's, Media Players/Bluray Players.

I am a vendor/contractor for the hard drive industry. I have spent WAY too much time in the fans and cleanrooms. You didn't ask, but I'll give you my opinion... Stick with Seagate. Sorry yours crapped out after only a year... Seagate should be more reliable than WD. They are MUCH more automated with a fraction of the employees making particles that destroy the drives. They are also much more serious about cleanliness while processing drives. WD seems to pay less and employ more immigrant workers who only care to get a paycheck....
Look I to WD my cloud NAS, qbit(?), or... Crap one other name I can't remeber. Can hook NAS up via Ethernet port so data transfer is FAST

<link removed>

Edited by Tywais
Link to forum plus illegal in Thailand

At home, I use EaseUS for boot drive imaging and system backup/restore.

At work, where I will be sharing files between a clients workstation and my laptop using either a USB3 external HD or a USB3 dongle, I use the free Microsoft utility SyncToy.

However, with many clients workstations requiring Admin permissions to install SyncToy, I use FreeFileSync as a portable application on the USB3 dongle. I use PoratbleApps to manage about 15 portable utilities that I may need while on the client workstation.

The dongle is bootable and has Ubuntu for those BSOD moments!

Comodo Backup represents what a truly full functional free backup software should be. Although lacking a wizard for novice users, the essential functions are clearly laid out. Installation notes; you can opt out of using the cCloud 10GB free storage. The software will reboot your system after installing, so make sure you don't have any other applications open. Comodo Backup starts out with the option to perform a System backup with their default settings when you run it for the first time, I skipped this step. To begin creating a backup, click the Backup menu from the left sidebar to configure specific source files and folders or select from the Shortcuts menu to easily backup common folders like My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and My Music. Once a backup has been configured and run, on-demand is easily selected from the Home Summary list of backups already performed. Like most backup software once configured, it's easy to do again. Tip: in the backup window there is an option to choose Fewer Options or More Options. Select the view you are most comfortable with. Comodo does offer full backup, incremental and differential as well as Shadow Copy. There are options to choose the level of compression from none to maximum, and the backup format. Types of backup formats include CBU file, simple copy, ZIP file, ISO file, self-extracting CBU file and file sync. Comodo can only restore CBU and Simple Copy formats. Comodo does offer scheduling. From the backup screen, near the bottom in the middle is a gray clock icon to use for setting the backup schedule. The good, this program is full of usable features. The bad, they take time to learn and it lacks GPT format support. I recommend their online help guide as a resource to getting familiar with the program. The step by step image filled help is easy to navigate and very informative. If you are short of drive space and need another source, try Comodo's free 10GB of cloud storage. Comodo's extensive online help includes RSS feeds in the lower left corner of the main console view to the latest news releases and video's explaining many of their features and offerings. I really like this program for it's unrestricted functionality.

Acronis a True Image Homebshould suffice. Based on your needs set for incremental. Therefore it just updates new files and changes rather than progressively getting bigger. It also uses the better method of an "image" of your stuff. But yes, there's many out there. This product consistently rates high.

• Like 1

If you are using Win 7 or Win 8.x they have backup/imaging capability built-in. That's all I use...works fine.

And as MikeWill recommended above AOMEI Backupper is highly rated and easy to use backup/imaging/cloning software (and its free).

• Like 1

There are hundreds of options out there. Any of the file sync options mentioned above are good. I would also make an image of at least the C partition of your disk too. You could use Windows' built in imaging do do that, or perhaps something like Macrium Reflect free. Or you could use something like EaseUS backup free to do both file and image backup. Also - though I don't do it myself - I can't help thinking backing up your personal data to the cloud, using something like Crashplan, makes a lot of sense. You have many options..

Forget "cloud" - how are you going to access when site is down or internet not accessible? Use an external hard drive attached to computer to back up data. And are you sure that the cloud provider is safe against hacking?

• Like 2

Forget "cloud" - how are you going to access when site is down or internet not accessible? Use an external hard drive attached to computer to back up data. And are you sure that the cloud provider is safe against hacking?

Actually I wouldn't advocate relying solely on the cloud, nor solely on an HD. I would want cloud + HD, or HD + HD. The former seems better as you then remove the risk of fire/theft/brown-out etc.

Yes the cloud provider might not be safe, but in reality you're MUCH more likely to have your backup HD fail then have your cloud-based backup hacked.

• Like 2