Applying For a Credit Card in Thailand

If anyone could help with this would be much appreciated , I've tried to apply for a credit card at 3 banks now (Kasikorn, standard chartered bank , aeon ) but they're all rejected , the letter I'm receving from them saying that I don't meet the bank conditions which is the thing I don't really understand , bear in mind I carry A Thai passport as well along with my UK passport , my salary is adequate enough , been with my current. Employer more than 6 months about 9-10 months now , I've been living in this country for 10 months now , well obviously I don't have any due bills or any credit cards here at all , I do have like 5 bank account saving ones here with different banks , also my Payroll is with Kasikorn bank , I'm just wondering what could be possibly the reason behind my application rejection I don't want apply again and get the same results , and if there's any credit check services here in the country where I can approach and seem their advice . Thanks in advance

Well, instead of asking TV members to guess the bank's reason for rejection, you may be better off asking the bank...

Thats hardly a useful reply.... if someone can't offer anything of benefit why do they feel the need to spread their inane negativity ?

Op: You may require a longer working history.. additionally, having been rejected from one Bank your credit rating may have been effected, in which case applying with further Banks becomes difficult.

There are options that other members of this forum have taken such as obtaining a 'secured' credit card (i.e. leaving a deposit which covers the limit of your card).

In these circumstances folk have required a credit card to process transactions etc where only credit cards and not debit cards will suffice.

Other options also include e-credit cards, where there is no physical card, but a number is issued which you can use online etc...

Much of the above depends on your required use for a card.

I expect you are applying for an "unsecured" credit card and I can't help (guess) as to why they do not approve a card. However, you might want to apply for a "secured" credit card which requires a locked savings account deposit while you maintain the card. Secured cards where you say open a locked savings account of Bt100K and get a credit card with a line of credit of Bt100K should be easy enough to get because you basically pose no financial risk to the bank. Seems from posts quite a few farangs get secured credit cards whether they have employment or no, no work permit required, etc.

OP, are you a Thai or UK citizen? You mention about having passports for both.

Even for non-Thai citizens, the Thai banks are usually willing to issue regular credit cards to farangs who have work permits and a decent salary.

For non-Thai citizens who don't have work permits or salaries, a couple of the Thai banks (I believe including Ayudhya and a couple others) usually are willing to issue credit cards that are secured by a deposit balance the card holder agrees to keep with the bank that more than covers their credit line.

For Thais, I believe AEON usually wants to see at least a six- month salary history with monthly pay of 30,000 or better to start in order to issue a credit card.

I had had a large bank deposit at SCB for years [and sitll do] and asked for a credit card. I had a work permit and was a regular customer. The bank said, 'no problem'. The application was promptly rejected by VISA in Bangkok. I was in the bank and asked them to call the credit facility and it was simply stated because 'we don't issue cards to foreigners'. So, while still on the phone, I suggested that I give them a fixed deposit of 100k baht for a monthly credit limit of 40k. They keep the bank book at the bank. My credit charges are automatically booked from the savings account each month. The locked deposit has been there for more than 10 years and I have never had a problem with the VISA people. They are very helpful and have temporarily increased the limit multiple times when I need to book a flight to Europe or America. This isn't really the purpose of 'credit card' but it serves my purposes of doing online transactions well.

I am not sure why you are having such problems. I am a US citizen. I have two credit cards here which are both unsecured. Both are with Krungsri. One is their First Choice card. The other is their Platinum Visa. I didn't want two cards. They said First Choice is easier and faster to obtain. They had me apply for that first. They said the Platinum Card was quite difficult to get, even for Thai citizens. They were correct. The First Choice card came within two weeks. The Platinum card came 5-6 weeks after I applied. They wanted my work permit and 6 months of bank statements faxed over from my bank (UOB). I have an account with Krungsri, but that is not where my salary goes. They had no interest in that account.

Probably they may give it to you if your are working and may be someone guarantee. We are all expat here and if some dishonest misuse the credit card then who has to pay? Also you are lucky you don't have Thai credit card as you are not insured against any misuse. If you can hold on to your homeland credit card.

I had had a large bank deposit at SCB for years [and sitll do] and asked for a credit card. I had a work permit and was a regular customer. The bank said, 'no problem'. The application was promptly rejected by VISA in Bangkok. I was in the bank and asked them to call the credit facility and it was simply stated because 'we don't issue cards to foreigners'. So, while still on the phone, I suggested that I give them a fixed deposit of 100k baht for a monthly credit limit of 40k. They keep the bank book at the bank. My credit charges are automatically booked from the savings account each month. The locked deposit has been there for more than 10 years and I have never had a problem with the VISA people. They are very helpful and have temporarily increased the limit multiple times when I need to book a flight to Europe or America. This isn't really the purpose of 'credit card' but it serves my purposes of doing online transactions well.

"Visa" didn't reject the application; the bank you applied to did. Banks issue their credit cards under the Visa/Mastercard/AmEx/etc., logo/network and the banks set the application rules, the majority of the fees, etc. Don't blame Visa; blame the bank.

My wife and I have been here 8 months, we are retired and have ample income, we tried many banks in Thailand, including Citi Bank Bangkok, no one would issue us a card without holding our money in a separate account. We finally chose Bangkok Bank, put down 900.00 US and got a credit card with that limit, they have raised the limit once so far to 1500 US. We only use the card to pay our bills, TOT,True Vision, Ais, and so forth. We hope in the future we will have a high enough credit limit to be able to use the card for airline tickets.

My wife and I have been here 8 months, we are retired and have ample income, we tried many banks in Thailand, including Citi Bank Bangkok, no one would issue us a card without holding our money in a separate account. We finally chose Bangkok Bank, put down 900.00 US and got a credit card with that limit, they have raised the limit once so far to 1500 US. We only use the card to pay our bills, TOT,True Vision, Ais, and so forth. We hope in the future we will have a high enough credit limit to be able to use the card for airline tickets.

Secure more money against the card and they will raise the limit to what ever you want.

Why do you actually need a credit card?

If you have a KBank account , then you can apply for a number that enables you to shop on line or purchase airline tickets etc.

Try and avoid credit cards- they can cause problems and the interest rates are horrendous- saying that if you can pay off every month when the pay check comes in they are useful. It can however be a bit tempting when you fancy a new Armani suit or something you really don't need.

One of the problems with debit cards is debit cards are not accepted by all merchants, online or at counter....some airlines, rent-a-car, and hotels are just a few examples. But a credit card will be accepted. Guess for a merchant there are more problems/issues with debit card transactions than with credit card transaction.

"Visa" didn't reject the application; the bank you applied to did. Banks issue their credit cards under the Visa/Mastercard/AmEx/etc., logo/network and the banks set the application rules, the majority of the fees, etc. Don't blame Visa; blame the bank.

Agreed and find this post very strange, I had an unsecured CC from SCB 6 weeks after arriving in country to start work, all I could really say is the poster must not have qualified due to the salary requirements

I have had multiple credit cards from several banks. Pay stubs for most recent 3 month... and of course work permit, with salary of +100 000 .

No problems, but some banks took a while to process.

Citibank - after never using the card for more than 2 years, I finally rang up like 20 000 in a month. The next cycle the immediately doubled my credit limit. I could and in fact... I have had more than 500 000 in credit available on cards here.

I dont understand peoples problems with this. If you have a work permit and history with credit stubs 3 or 6 months it should be not problem to get credit in excess of your monthly pay. I have seen it.

It is smart to see which cards have the best rewards programs. All give you points. Some allow points applied to things like Thai Airlines frequent flyer programs which give you access to the global group, for example. This is great. Having said that, if you can use your credit card, do it. I use it as often as I can and manage to run around 150 k a month through it, and after a while I have a good number of points which I use at my discretion. But credit cards linked to airlines are probably the best deal I have seen.

Do not know how much extra cash you have. I have a Credit Card through Bangkok, put $5,000.00 US on hold and have 150,000THB limit Credit card. They pay a little interest on the escrow funds and if I do not pay off each month they charge interest. The expensive part is if you take cash withdrawals they charge the same as anyother bank I have deal with. So I do not do anymore. you also get discount points etc.

Jerry

I believe that most Thai banks do not like issuing credit cards to foreigners. Back in the days of the 90s crash a lot of frang filled up their credit cards and fled the country. I got one back in 2001 and it has been a never ending circus ever since. For a few months I was stalked by a mystery biker interested in my credit card. Eventually it turned out he was on a mission from Visa to upgrade my card to Gold. When head office saw that they had upgraded my card they couldn't figure out how I had got a card in the first place.

I went to Krungsri a few month ago, saying I am retired and I need a Thai bank to put the 800.000 Bahts for immigration. Yes sir no problem how much your deposit? To day 100.000 , no problem do you want a visa card? Yes of course, 5 minutes later I had my visa Krungsri, I even choose my 4 digit code which is not the case in my country, a week later I made the transfer of the 20,000 euros from my bank, more easy absolutely impossible! Yes I have shown my visa, (first year), and a certificate of residence from my owner nothing more.

By the way it is a saving account. Why? The guy insisted??

Edited by Tchooptip

My wife has got one from Kasikorn and I have one as the secondary partner...reason being is that I didn't have permanent residency in Thailand.

Not sure if this helps but that was the reason I couldn't be the major card holder

Kbank told you a porkie PR isnt a requirement to be issued a cc

I went to Krungsri a few month ago, saying I am retired and I need a Thai bank to put the 800.000 Bahts for immigration. Yes sir no problem how much your deposit? To day 100.000 , no problem do you want a visa card? Yes of course, 5 minutes later I had my visa Krungsri, I even choose my 4 digit code which is not the case in my country, a week later I made the transfer of the 20,000 euros from my bank, more easy absolutely impossible! Yes I have shown my visa, (first year), and a certificate of residence from my owner nothing more.

By the way it is a saving account. Why? The guy insisted??

Yeah a visa debit card attached to a saving's account is nothing like an actuall visa credit card.....

Anyone can get the card you have.

Have multiple cc here but have a work permit ... OP mentions he has Thai passport, so understand no need for Work permit...

A bit surprised he is having issues if Thai citizen... Although not sure about what his salary is..

Would suggest for him to try applying for AEON or KTC credit cards, as they seem to have the lowest requirements and easiest to get (as far as I have heard)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close the accounts where they will not issue you a Credit card.

Bangkok Bank seem to throw them at you.

But you have to put an amount the same as the 'credit' limit on fixed deposit,so it isn't really a credit card.

I expect you are applying for an "unsecured" credit card and I can't help (guess) as to why they do not approve a card. However, you might want to apply for a "secured" credit card which requires a locked savings account deposit while you maintain the card. Secured cards where you say open a locked savings account of Bt100K and get a credit card with a line of credit of Bt100K should be easy enough to get because you basically pose no financial risk to the bank. Seems from posts quite a few farangs get secured credit cards whether they have employment or no, no work permit required, etc.

Correct. I got a secured card at Bangkok Bank about two weeks after landing in Thailand three years ago.

Try CitiBank.......they doubled my limit within six months because I paid on time. They asked for my work permit.,passport, a letter from my work place stating my salary and 3 or 6 months of pay slips.

True Citi bank is the only card issuer I have seen that routinely ups the credit amount bases upon responsible use

But they have higher income requirements than others

So if OP is having issues with getting approved, Citibank would not be the first I would recommend to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk