Applying For a Credit Card in Thailand

They are all useless ! Either they can't provide me with further details or they can't speak proper English and they keep saying cannot cannot which I find quite stupid and useless ! Lol thanks

Hmmmm! I am curious of your statements. You say you have a Thai passport + a UK passport..... That would suggest you were either borne in Thailand of Thai parents or mixed parents, for only a Thai citizen is able to have a Thai passport, just like only a UK borne Citizen or a sibling of a direct borne UK citizen is able to hold a passport of that country. I know that y7ou already know this but for those that don't to become a citizen of Thailand, you have to speak the language fluently, write the language better than proficiently, and have been living in Thailand a minimum of 12 years; that is if you are were not borne in Thailand. so based on that criteria; why are you having difficulty with the bank and finding the lack of English a problem to you.

If as you say you have savings accounts in 5 different banks in Thailand, it is simple to get an ATM card attached to anyone of those savings accounts so Are you wanting a debit card or a credit card? .... Speak with your bank manager in any one of those banks in Thai; I'll bet you'll get favourable results

krungthai bank... drop 100k, get a limit of 90k

Not really a credit card in the true sense of it though is it, might as well just get an online virtual card and spend your own money.

Thinking about these "secured" cards though.... what are the interest rate on them, are they the same as an unsecured card ?

Edited by Spoonman

They are all useless ! Either they can't provide me with further details or they can't speak proper English and they keep saying cannot cannot which I find quite stupid and useless ! Lol thanks

Welcome to Thailand injoy yor short stay here unless you adapt

I went to Krungsri a few month ago, saying I am retired and I need a Thai bank to put the 800.000 Bahts for immigration. Yes sir no problem how much your deposit? To day 100.000 , no problem do you want a visa card? Yes of course, 5 minutes later I had my visa Krungsri, I even choose my 4 digit code which is not the case in my country, a week later I made the transfer of the 20,000 euros from my bank, more easy absolutely impossible! Yes I have shown my visa, (first year), and a certificate of residence from my owner nothing more.

By the way it is a saving account. Why? The guy insisted??

Yeah a visa debit card attached to a saving's account is nothing like an actuall visa credit card.....

Anyone can get the card you have.

I do no understand your answer anyone can get the card I have, very well so what, where is the problem? I do not give a damn if it is not an "actual" (?) Visa I just need it to withdraw my money in Bahts from Krungsri ATM, anyhow I keep my HSBC premier for anything like planes hotels and so on, this one sure not anyone could get it!

I went to Krungsri a few month ago, saying I am retired and I need a Thai bank to put the 800.000 Bahts for immigration. Yes sir no problem how much your deposit? To day 100.000 , no problem do you want a visa card? Yes of course, 5 minutes later I had my visa Krungsri, I even choose my 4 digit code which is not the case in my country, a week later I made the transfer of the 20,000 euros from my bank, more easy absolutely impossible! Yes I have shown my visa, (first year), and a certificate of residence from my owner nothing more.

Yeah a visa debit card attached to a saving's account is nothing like an actuall visa credit card.....

I do no understand your answer anyone can get the card I have, very well so what, where is the problem? I do not give a damn if it is not an "actual" (?) Visa I just need it to withdraw my money in Bahts from Krungsri ATM, anyhow I keep my HSBC premier for anything like planes hotels and so on, this one sure not anyone could get it!

The OP is asking about a credit card.

The OP is talking a "credit" card; you seem to be talking the "debit" card that automatically comes with a Thai bank savings account if you want the debit card.

I have Thai AmEx, Citi VISA and Citi MasterCard.

All were issued without problems.

Of course I have a non-immigrant visa, work permit and a decent salary, supporting documentation was a 'letter of employment' from my employer, 6 months pay slips and a reference from the National Credit Bureau.

All three gave me a credit limit of about 1.5 times my monthly (AmEx slightly less).

Historical note - some time ago AmEx invited me to take up their credit card and did state that they are the only credit card company to give out cards to foreigners without a work permit. At the time I didn't take them up on the offer so cannot comment further.

The OP is talking a "credit" card; you seem to be talking the "debit" card that automatically comes with a Thai bank savings account if you want the debit card.

If you say so gentlemen I believe you, but with what we call a "debit card" in my country one could "only" withdraw money from ATM and certainly not pay online or shopping with it, with this one I paid HomePro, so I was convince it was a real credit card" LOL

By the way if Spoonman could tell me the difference between an "actual" visa" and this one I would be grateful.

Plus I suddenly realize for the first time there is not my name on it, only "privileged member", probably I could not buy online? Which I do not intend anyhow I have two other for that.

On the other end there is a 3 digit CVC code near my signature, so?

Common for Thai debit cards not to have your name on it although you can get it with your name on it but usually takes an extra week or two to get the card. Most Thai debit cards work online...sometimes you have to have the bank activate them for online use also...seems to vary from bank to bank. I've used my Bangkok Bank debit, without my name on it, for online purchases and didn't have to do anything to get it to work. I even had it linked on my U.S. PayPal account once...but then I had to get the card replaced since it cracked and I just didn't relink the new card number on PayPal.

Historical note - some time ago AmEx invited me to take up their credit card and did state that they are the only credit card company to give out cards to foreigners without a work permit. At the time I didn't take them up on the offer so cannot comment further.

I got a similar offer, or rather I was invited to apply, I don't have a Work Permit, just an extension based on retirement, so I didn't really expect it to be approved. I completed the form and my card was couriered to me a couple of weeks later, a credit limit of almost three times my, then, monthly pension.

Don't really need a credit card, but it can be useful as a back up and if properly managed. I do admit to juggling the points and other promotions, we've just returned from a trip to Japan paid for using Thai points earned on my card.

Have multiple cc here but have a work permit ... OP mentions he has Thai passport, so understand no need for Work permit...

A bit surprised he is having issues if Thai citizen... Although not sure about what his salary is..

Would suggest for him to try applying for AEON or KTC credit cards, as they seem to have the lowest requirements and easiest to get (as far as I have heard)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not unheard of. There have been a few times shown my Thai ID card and the idiot across the counter and they ask for my passport and work permit.

Having said that, if the OP isn't providing the paperwork needed by the bank, he'll have issued, even if applying as a Thai. They like their paperwork!

Edited by samran

Just one more questions to Thai CC - does anyone know any better deal than the usual grace period of 30 days and 20% interest? In Europe I had 3 months and interest around 12% ... I have Platinium Kasikorn, Gold TMB, KTC and CitiBank - all the same terms...

Hmmmm! I am curious of your statements. You say you have a Thai passport + a UK passport..... That would suggest you were either borne in Thailand of Thai parents or mixed parents, for only a Thai citizen is able to have a Thai passport, just like only a UK borne Citizen or a sibling of a direct borne UK citizen is able to hold a passport of that country. I know that y7ou already know this but for those that don't to become a citizen of Thailand, you have to speak the language fluently, write the language better than proficiently, and have been living in Thailand a minimum of 12 years; that is if you are were not borne in Thailand. so based on that criteria; why are you having difficulty with the bank and finding the lack of English a problem to you.

If as you say you have savings accounts in 5 different banks in Thailand, it is simple to get an ATM card attached to anyone of those savings accounts so Are you wanting a debit card or a credit card? .... Speak with your bank manager in any one of those banks in Thai; I'll bet you'll get favourable results

I'm British Thai , to a Thai Mother and a British Father . My Problem is I can't speak Thai , and pretty much when i go to any bank they consider me a foreigner rather than a Thai citizen , and even the bank managers are useless they can't even speak English they have to call the english call center for me which is not any better !

Have multiple cc here but have a work permit ... OP mentions he has Thai passport, so understand no need for Work permit...

A bit surprised he is having issues if Thai citizen... Although not sure about what his salary is..

Would suggest for him to try applying for AEON or KTC credit cards, as they seem to have the lowest requirements and easiest to get (as far as I have heard)

Not unheard of. There have been a few times shown my Thai ID card and the idiot across the counter and they ask for my passport and work permit.

Having said that, if the OP isn't providing the paperwork needed by the bank, he'll have issued, even if applying as a Thai. They like their paperwork!

Yeah I provided them with loads of Paperworks , I reckon it has something to do with my Credit Score here in the country that i haven't established a sufficient credit score yet i believe i've been in the country for almost 10 months now , they asked for my House Registration , Salary Slips for the last 6 months , employment letter , I provided all ! Still i got rejected not quite sure why ! and yeah they do the same thing with me they treat me as a Foreigner even tho i carry a thai passport , Im just wondering if there's a agency or something same as we've got back in the UK provides Credit services , like Credit History and stuff Credit management like .

Thanks

Yeah I provided them with loads of Paperworks , I reckon it has something to do with my Credit Score here in the country that i haven't established a sufficient credit score yet i believe i've been in the country for almost 10 months now , they asked for my House Registration , Salary Slips for the last 6 months , employment letter , I provided all ! Still i got rejected not quite sure why ! and yeah they do the same thing with me they treat me as a Foreigner even tho i carry a thai passport , Im just wondering if there's a agency or something same as we've got back in the UK provides Credit services , like Credit History and stuff Credit management like .

Thanks

National credit bureau

https://www.ncb.co.th/Default.htm

Another idea is to walk around your local Mall and find the stand trying to get folks to sign up for credit cards.

As at these booths, the hawkers only get paid based on how many new credit card accounts they can get signed up.

So they are very happy to try and help you and to advise you

Where if you just want into a bank branch... They could care less if you get approved or not , as they do not get any bonus if you are approved... Yu are just extra work...

As said above Bangkok Bank are far more forthcoming with credit cards. I am retired here with the necessary visa extension and not only do I get 2 credit cards but they are provided free with no annual or other fees.

As said above Bangkok Bank are far more forthcoming with credit cards. I am retired here with the necessary visa extension and not only do I get 2 credit cards but they are provided free with no annual or other fees.

Secured card with accompanying locked deposit (i.e., the collateral) or unsecured card? Or if maybe married to a Thai, you really got a supplemental card off your spouse's credit card approval?

If a secured card, they are not hard to get because the locked deposit takes all risk off the bank. I'm also on a retirement extension of stay and Bangkok Bank has offered me a secured credit card with no annual fee several times over the last few years but a secured deposit is required. Last time they offered me such as deal was Dec 13 at their Silom Rd branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building when I was opening another savings account. I politely turned them down since I have several no foreign transaction fee U.S. credit cards and establishing a locked savings account as collateral for a secured card turns me off...you are basically just using your own money to back the card and take all risk off the bank...and the bank gets to use the money in the locked savings account to do other business like making loans.

Yeap, definitely a good deal for the bank. But if the customer is OK with the setup then so be it.....say establishing a Bt100K locked deposit to get Bt100K line of credit card.

Secured card with accompanying locked deposit (i.e., the collateral) or unsecured card? Or if maybe married to a Thai, you really got a supplemental card off your spouse's credit card approval?

If a secured card, they are not hard to get because the locked deposit takes all risk off the bank. I'm also on a retirement extension of stay and Bangkok Bank has offered me a secured credit card with no annual fee several times over the last few years but a secured deposit is required. Last time they offered me such as deal was Dec 13 at their Silom Rd branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building when I was opening another savings account. I politely turned them down since I have several no foreign transaction fee U.S. credit cards and establishing a locked savings account as collateral for a secured card turns me off...you are basically just using your own money to back the card and take all risk off the bank...and the bank gets to use the money in the locked savings account to do other business like making loans.

Yeap, definitely a good deal for the bank. But if the customer is OK with the setup then so be it.....say establishing a Bt100K locked deposit to get Bt100K line of credit card.

Yes I did did need to make a deposit(interest bearing) to get the cards. 50K in total though I note the max on each card is 50 K.

Thanks...that what I figured...didn't want folks to think just having a retirement extension of stay made an real difference. Pretty much anyone can get a secured Thai credit card...just make the accompanying locked saving account deposit and you can get a Thai credit card.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if OP has figured things out. I was in the same boat couple months back. The exact same background as OP.

Was rejected by Citi and standard chartered. I then tried SCB where my salaries go to every month and the exact same branch I opened my account at.

On a side note, I have learned how to say " Apply creditcard" and "I grew up overseas and can't write/read Thai." in Thai and the guy across the counter wrote my application for me (I was fully aware that I'm supposed to write my own application, but I let it be. )

I signed the form, got a call a couple days later, managed to answer a few questions in very broken Thai, the lady on the phone did ask if I was Thai, once again, "I grew up overseas" works just fine.

Got that CC two days after the call.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that Bangkok Bank (Siam Paragon branch) gives the credit card easily; no income/job proof required at all as long as I opened a fixed deposit in the same amount as the credit limit requested (the job/income might even reduce chances of getting the card; as the credit analyst may base your application on income/job instead of your deposit guarantee.)

I chose and highly recommend Bangkok Bank's ultra-convenient "Rabbit" Visa credit card if you live in the city. It has triple function as a 1) Visa credit card 2) BTS card, and 3) digital cash card for many merchants such mall food courts, fast food outlets, grocery stores, etc. (and you get "rewards" for using it in all these different establishments); so it reduces the number of cards to keep in your already thick wallet.

Not to be confused with Bangkok Bank's Rabbit Visa *debit* card; but I'd guess that has the same non-credit benefits.

biggrin.png

Edited by junkofdavid2

Close the accounts where they will not issue you a Credit card.

Bangkok Bank seem to throw them at you.

But you have to put an amount the same as the 'credit' limit on fixed deposit,so it isn't really a credit card.

That's right it's only a 'convenience card', that carries 20% interest.

But you have to put an amount the same as the 'credit' limit on fixed deposit,so it isn't really a credit card.

True, but you can close/end your fixed deposit after the initial term (I think they asked me how long I wanted my fixed deposit to be; as though it was up to me); and by that time you'll already have an (I assume good) credit history established with which you can even get credit cards in other banks; you'll probably even start getting "pre-approved" offers by then as the other card companies find your name in the credit bureau as having good credit (which may be one of your objectives).

I don't have 20% interest since I always paid my full credit card bill ever since, even in my home country. So yes, it could be considered a "convenience" card for me with rewards points, BTS transportation, digital cash, etc.

Edited by junkofdavid2

Haven't paid a satang in interest, and it has been very convenient.

Above post:

No, I have to keep the 3month FD to support the card. They would not let me move it to a better yielding term either. So I now have this account that really is not any use or benefit to me and another book.

Edited by jacko45k

Other than the convenience, I forgot the real reason I wanted one was that I would DROOL at the benefits my Thai friends with credit cards got... such as buy 1 get 1 movie ticket promos, 50% off 5-star hotel buffets, etc.

...plus a great accounting in realtime (via card website login) of what I spent on, where, and when. Can easily manage my budget as long as you're disciplined. (But for undisciplined spenders, credit cards have been found to increase spending by around 15%)