Army finds wooden planks worth Bt100m

Lite Beer

Army finds wooden planks worth Bt100m
The Sunday Nation

Bangkok: -- The Army's inspection of two warehouses in Tak's Mae Sot district yesterday uncovered wooden planks reportedly worth Bt100 million.

The Army contacted the Customs Department in an attempt to identify the place of origin of the planks.

Colonel Terdsak Ngamsanong, the superintendent of the 4th Infantry Regiment, led the team that searched a warehouse storing processed wooden planks in tambon Mae Pa, while another Army team inspected a warehouse in tambon Mae Kasa.

As the two warehouse owners claimed the planks were legally imported from Myanmar, the Army asked Mae Sot customs officials to provide documents to support the claims.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-15

• Like 1

Stealing wood from the forest is as heinous as any crime committed against an individual or a corporation. Why is it that some Thai people think it's Ok? When I lived in Australia I never thought about stealing wood from the state forest. What's wrong with these people?

• Like 2

The real problem is the de-forestation going on in the north and in some area of the northeast. I ride my scooter around different area and over a 3 year time span I can see the difference.

The hill tribe people are destroying the northern forest for planting crops but without trees there will be no water.

• Like 1

I doubt your post falls within the forum rules but I don't know if it will be removed or not so here is my response.

In the past month, I have seen the Army make more headlines for fixing the very chronic problems everyone on TV has spent years complaining about.

The Army has aggressively settled the violence of the protests and possibly stopped an unravelling of civil order.

They have cleaned up the criminal taxis and tuk-tuk operations in tourist areas. They have seized illegal logging operations. They are forcing accountability from the police force (who most here would say is the actual most corrupt organization in Thailand) The list is so long.

So I see the Army as making positive strides that are benefiting the Thai people , the farang and the tourist.

Perhaps you are just one of the many people here on TV who suffer the perpetual empty glass and its obvious you are an incredibly rude individual. I would love to have this conversation with you over a pint so if you are ever down in Lower Sukhumvit please do send me a message.

You wouldnt happen to know the hotline to report taxi scams? My wife was told she would have to pay 100 baht to go 1 kilometer without the taxi meter being turned on. She had to make the driver leave her on the street. So the army has yet to put an end to this form of taxi robbery

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Stealing wood from the forest is as heinous as any crime committed against an individual or a corporation. Why is it that some Thai people think it's Ok? When I lived in Australia I never thought about stealing wood from the state forest. What's wrong with these people?

You're posting in the wrong thread, this report says nothing about theft from a "state forest". It's a report about apparently legally imported timber.

Wooden planks ? Are they talking about Thai politicians again ?

No, they're talking about posters on certain forums.

Don't sell yourself short and most of us do have some pity for you, sort of.

Touched a nerve, did I?

I doubt your post falls within the forum rules but I don't know if it will be removed or not so here is my response.

In the past month, I have seen the Army make more headlines for fixing the very chronic problems everyone on TV has spent years complaining about.

The Army has aggressively settled the violence of the protests and possibly stopped an unravelling of civil order.

They have cleaned up the criminal taxis and tuk-tuk operations in tourist areas. They have seized illegal logging operations. They are forcing accountability from the police force (who most here would say is the actual most corrupt organization in Thailand) The list is so long.

So I see the Army as making positive strides that are benefiting the Thai people , the farang and the tourist.

Perhaps you are just one of the many people here on TV who suffer the perpetual empty glass and its obvious you are an incredibly rude individual. I would love to have this conversation with you over a pint so if you are ever down in Lower Sukhumvit please do send me a message.

You wouldnt happen to know the hotline to report taxi scams? My wife was told she would have to pay 100 baht to go 1 kilometer without the taxi meter being turned on. She had to make the driver leave her on the street. So the army has yet to put an end to this form of taxi robbery

A bit off topic I think, but..............

You failed to mention the area where the taxi refused to take your wife. Was it Bangkok, Phuket of Korat?

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/09/how-to-report-a-taxi-in-bangkok/

Edited by ratcatcher

A bit off topic I think, but..............

You failed to mention the area where the taxi refused to take your wife. Was it Bangkok, Phuket of Korat?

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/09/how-to-report-a-taxi-in-bangkok/

Bkk mochit bus terminal

Not really sure how the wood scam works. I think Thai trees are felled , and then the story

is that the wood is imported from Burma, with of course all the right " paperwork" produced.

Interesting with the army taking over, suddenly there are a lot of illegal wood stories......

Must be an ongoing effort to gut red shirt finances..

• Like 1

My wife got told off by a tree hugger for picking an everlasting off the road shoulder of the freeway.

There is a wood shortage in Thailand .

One thing they could do is to reduce the import taks on wooden planks , think its 40%

Squared logs are 10% , but its hard to find a decent sawmill .

I can buy oak and larch planks and beams in europe cheap , but add the shipping and the taks calculated over the product and the shipping its just

not worth the effort .

And not to forget the extortion from the customs officers .

• Like 1

You're posting in the wrong thread, this report says nothing about theft from a "state forest". It's a report about apparently legally imported timber.

Apparently or allegedly? Those in possession (I am reluctant to describe them as owners) apparently don't have the Custom's documents to support their alleged legal importation, or, apparently, bills of sale, or, apparently, any proof that the lumber was cut legally if it did come from Myanmar; hence the request for customs to supply said documents. I would think more to prove their claims of ownership and importation as false.

I certainly wouldn't but expensive items without some proof of provenance, but up to you.

My wife got told off by a tree hugger for picking an everlasting off the road shoulder of the freeway.

You were lucky it wasn't a friend of mine who works for Forestry. She would have fined you $2000 AU.