Living just from the land.

Joey J

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a sitcom in America years ago called "Green Acres" with Zsa Zsa Gabor.....about a New York banker and his wife wanting to live off the land...

Google it, You tube it........good laugh.

Eva Gabor.

Just a thought... It will be very important what kind of family you are marrying into. We live in a compound with 10 other family members and we work as a team, absolutely honest and hard working. Not everyone is so lucky .

Paul,go for it!We are doing the same but we started small.Maybe start growing your own tomatoes,bananas and whatever you like to try.

After 3 years we are growing most of our veggies and even have a nice simple hydroponics set up for lettuce.

We have chickens and ducks and catch fish.

Start slowly and take it from there.

It is very rewarding to eat what you have grown and knowing there is no poison in it.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how tight restrictions are on this sort of thing, but I think developing some kind of rustic comfort into the infrastructure on the farm would allow marketing eco-tourist vacations to rich Americans, etc. potentially generating a lucrative source of income. A week living an "authentically" Tai way of life? >$1000, probably $1500 per person before transportation, tips, and free labor. A pain in the ass for a month or two each year, but you'd be able to hire a handful of in-laws, and just paying fair wages to farmers skilled in working local conditions would put you in a good place. -my two cents

Not first hand, but have a good friend from way up North married to a Buriram girl. Their farm started out as a garden, grew to be very large with her managing the workers, some family, others from nearby Lam plai mat. It got big enough where it made sense to by rice combines (at least that is what they look like) from Komatsu. I think they have 3 now, plus a back hoe or 2. The neighbours in the area started asking them to bring their machines over and harvest the rice on their properties as labour could be unreliable, or hard to find.

Now, I believe the land my buddy has with his wife has other than rice and the rice machines are still used every season, but turns out, they were of higher value than the rice on their own farm was worth, in selling the services out to other rice farmers.

Not sure how they are paid, but it does not cost my friend any of his personal income now for several years. The farm is self-sufficient. But it took about 10 years to work it out, and his wife is one smart lady!

Their was a lot of trust between both of them and still is. I don't see that really every stop working for them but it will not work for everyone.

But there are others with similar good outcomes, so it does still work for some.

Not sure how you pick the right Thai GF though to make it work. Maybe either some luck or karma involved in that for what it is worth.

Edited by jmccarty
  • Like 1

is a great life, like you is what i wanted to do, sold up in aus, have built a cool aus house on half an acre, is now surrounded by vegs fruit trees and heaps of good laying chooks, my wife never stops working , i have bought a big new holland tractor so now my wifes and her families fields are finally getting used correctly, of course the rest of the family uses the tractor but does our work as we want it, for free, i can see after two years with what we have done a small income of at least 300000 bhart for her, a year in the futuer , i am happy with that, i only advise the workers, we have so many workers now who work for us, they can see that some thing good is happening and the money is always there for them, and with the tractor and impliments ,they do not have to work as hard as in the past, is very rewarding to watch them, we are in far north issan

I'm about to do this. Have given up life as a lawyer and about to farm in the North of Thailand.

I don't think a person can fail Paul ... the weather's great for all year growing ... there's enough water.

I'll be growing the crops to feed the animals, after doing soil tests to see exactly what nutrients the soil has. I'll then fertilize the ground with fast growing nitrogen fixing crop, like alfalfa.

Just do a little research Paul about what to grow. My idea is to grow what Thais don't but the West buys ... maximum return against cheap land. Also I'm researching designs to maximize chicken housing. There are some very fast growing nutritional crops and fast reproducing animals if you look into it. And how about your own design for harnessing energy ... like adapting a windmill so it produces electricity ALL THE TIME. it's a challenge and its fun, and best of all, if you succeed, you can help raise the living standards of Thais.

• Like 2

Can be a good pastime if you do not need the money. My brother in law has chickens but there is no real profit, you get the eggs and can eat the chickens. It can be risky, he had about a couple of hundred and lost about 75 percent in a few days. Just died, disease I think. He is trying some turkeys at the moment, bought 3 hens and a cock and has had 8 chicks, about 4 months now. Should be ready for Christmas.

My sister in law does quite well with Jackfruit and Coconuts but they are from established trees, not an overnight venture. We had a good Mango crop this year and the sugar apples are on the go at the moment. They are quite fast growing and can be very prolific. We also have bananas but we just eat them.

I tried some vegetables but it was a waste of time, with the dogs,cats,chickens and insects it was a hiding to nothing.

Good luck and hope it works out.

Paul, I think in order for people to answer you honestly effectively, you should explain your situation better.

Many members here will be able to give you great advice based on real experience but in order to do so I think a clearer understanding of your situation is needed.

I have known "London Paul" for some years now and debated this matter with him on many occasions.

The problem Paul has are as follows;

no real savings of any kind

no pension

no investments

owns no property anywhere

has never lived in thailand (just short holidays over the past 4 or so years.)

he is not yet married to this girl he met in pattaya, so her farming skills are yet to be deterined....

I have no experience when it comes to farming, but have lived in thailand since i was a young boy and have grown up here.

As many posters have pointed out, there are many other costs that will be incurred whilst living in thailand.

money for visa extensions (annual)

medical/health insurance

vehicles etc

for someone of Paul's age and lack of financial security, i think he could be leaving to much to chance.

It is different if someone that is financially secure to pursue such a lifestyle, as they are in a position to walk away and still have money to live life in thailand.

But to have basically nothing in savings, no pension for retirement years, own no property, never spent any longer than a 4 week holiday in thailand and speak no thai what so ever. could be putting to many eggs in one very small basket in my opinion.

Basically Paul's whole existents in thailand would be based on "living off the land"

If Paul had a pension, some savings/investments aside, so basically if the farm thing didn't work out could still fund himself and have a life in Thailand (even a humble one) then i would say go for it.

Dreams cost money and unfortunately often turn out no to be the way we "dreamed" they would be.

I don't want to sound like a kill joy, but I have known London Paul for some years now and has discussed this matter with me many many times.

I don't blame him for seeking the opinions of others but I think that the people who will wish to respond to his post and offer some good advice, should also have a better understanding of his actual situation.

There a quite a few other flaws in Paul's plan due to other reasons which I will not mention out of respect for his privacy.

on a humorous note though, Paul does not work 12 hours days in the cold.... I had to laugh when I read that one paul....

Thanks for sharing. If Paul would have disclosed his true situation, he would not have received one single post on encouragement. For sure.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I only have half a rai and have mangoes, papaya, tomatoes, starfruit, limes, avacado, bananas and heaps of other vegetables like potatoes, courgette, asparagus and herbs. A few trees that grow really quickly with edible flowers. If I wanted to I would only have to buy rice. It takes very little upkeep.

Growing rice is a waste of time and effort. Instead grow something that takes no effort and sell it to buy rice.

I'd be happier and healthier if I didn't eat meat.

• Like 1

There's some good advice in this thread, I personally am in no situation to give you any, however I admire your dreams and the only way to make them happen is to go out there and do it, lots of research is needed though as I am sure your doing right now.

The only advice I can give is to make 100% sure you have an exit plan eg... if you need to leave the country at least make sure you can afford the flight and have a place too live in when back where you reside now.

Seriously. I wish you all the best in making your dream come true.

I agree. Especially if cooking from scratch can be a new hobby.

I came with Plan A,B, and C. I am now teaching English which was plan C. If you're happy with the backup plan, you'd be ecstatic

with the original plan.

Have some money for backup as well as that plan!!!

"You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not." Cat Stevens

That said, make sure this is a dream you really want. I have some land, no knowledge and have htought abt twisting my nephews arm to learn abt hydroponics, aquaponics & organic gardening… I think if I did, I would need a back-up plan as he may not be reliable, but I would not invest enough to hurt.

I do something like this and doing more all the time, it all depends on if you want to make a living from it. I'm planning and doing some of it a I speak, I keep a flock of ducks, and breeding more and looking to start a small self sufficiency type thing in the next few months. So far it's been a lot of fun. I do everything step by step without rushing in which saves a lot of hassle later. My present thing is mixing the ducks with a fish and vegetable small holding. Picture enclosed, just start small and there's alot of info and good people who can help you out.

post-154309-0-90240000-1402919252_thumb.

post-154309-0-72523500-1402919253_thumb.

Edited by sabian
  • Like 1

Westerners considering operating any sorts of agricultural businesses or working farms in Thailand should first seek legal advice as in most cases these professions are prohibited to farangs in Thailand even if they only intend to grow the produce or use the livestock for themselves. It is also illegal to use Thai names, including wives to front these businesses.

The ruling junta has begun clamping down on migrant workers and I guess that farangs who are illegally owning land, properties, businesses and working illegally will be targeted very soon, so beware.

Your desire to live off the land is a noble quest...it could become a life saver...should disaster strike and food shortages occur...start small...grow plants that are known to grow well in your area...create a safe haven for your animals...there will be many setbacks...as you learn what works best...but the rewards and comfort of growing your own...will be very satisfying...good luck...

is a great life, like you is what i wanted to do, sold up in aus, have built a cool aus house on half an acre, is now surrounded by vegs fruit trees and heaps of good laying chooks, my wife never stops working , i have bought a big new holland tractor so now my wifes and her families fields are finally getting used correctly, of course the rest of the family uses the tractor but does our work as we want it, for free, i can see after two years with what we have done a small income of at least 300000 bhart for her, a year in the futuer , i am happy with that, i only advise the workers, we have so many workers now who work for us, they can see that some thing good is happening and the money is always there for them, and with the tractor and impliments ,they do not have to work as hard as in the past, is very rewarding to watch them, we are in far north issan

Dear Bob, I am most curious about your post above.

"i can see after two years with what we have done a small income of at least 300000 bhart for her, a year in the futue" ... just how, on 2000 m2 do you think you can produce an income of Bt 300,000?

"i only advise the workers, we have so many workers now who work for us," on 2000 m2 how many workers do you emply and what work do they do.

Dear Bob ... What did the "big new holland tractor ... and impliments" cost you?

Dear Bob ...

• Like 1

I do something like this and doing more all the time, it all depends on if you want to make a living from it. I'm planning and doing some of it a I speak, I keep a flock of ducks, and breeding more and looking to start a small self sufficiency type thing in the next few months. So far it's been a lot of fun. I do everything step by step without rushing in which saves a lot of hassle later. My present thing is mixing the ducks with a fish and vegetable small holding. Picture enclosed, just start small and there's alot of info and good people who can help you out.

Your system would work much better if you farmed Prawns from that waste.

Have you sold any ducks yet?

What is your ROI on the Duck Hobby?

Many dream of this, many give up after a few years. We have chickens, fish and ducks , enough rice and vegetables, that's as far as it goes. If you never worked 12 hour days in the sun, you are in for a surprise.

Try working transition zone seismic and you will be in for a surprise.

Swissie

If you read my post you will see everything I said was about a dream. Tyler who is a close friend has always tried to give me sound advice but unfortunately in lives in a city and I would like to live in the country. Why other than the fact would I ask such a question. If I was rich in money I would still like to know if you can live from the land,like I said it's a dream. If you want to condemn me for that so be it, , but I'll tell you one thing anything you want to know about me I will speak 100pc the truth, I have no secrets in my life and I wear my heart on my sleeve, in other words its open to anyone. Please forgive me but I'm new to all this.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app