What keeps you in Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

In front of my house is a large body of water and tankers drive up and down about a mile offshore. What I like about the ocean is the sea breeze. It keeps the air cooler than inland.

I lived on the ocean in the West; I've lived on the Great lakes too. I've lived by a little pond in the mountains and streams where trout swam. About the only difference I noticed is one has to varnish your hull more in salt water and here I can walk to the go go. The doctor said exercise so I like to walk.

A sea is not an ocean that's why its's called a sea and not an ocean. I guess you were not chair of the geography department at your college in the USA ... did you ride horses along the Great Lakes beaches like that WhipperSnapper guy? Who ever heard of driving a tanker -- guess you weren't a harbor pilot either.

http://www.port-authorities.com/product/2208/laem-chabang (Pilotage):

Compulsory and provided by official Harbour Department pilots. Procedure

for obtaining pilots is the same as Bangkok. Pilots can also be contacted on VHF

Channels 13, 14 and 16

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sea is not an ocean that's why its's called a sea and not an ocean. I guess you were not chair of the geography department at your college in the USA ... did you ride horses along the Great Lakes beaches like that WhipperSnapper guy? Who ever heard of driving a tanker -- guess you weren't a harbor pilot either.

It is perfectly acceptable to use the terms "ocean" and "sea" interchangeably for coastal waters, in casual conversation. They are not exactly the same but they are not mutually exclusive, either. Mr.Crab was not here for the 2004 tsunami, apparently. It was in Indian Ocean waters, destroying much of coastal Thailand.

It is perfectly acceptable for landlubbers to use the term "driving" a boat, lot's of boaters do it, too. But 'piloting', 'steering', 'sailing' or 'handling' should be used when appropriate.

-NG

• Like 2

I came here for a year, and ten years later still here. There are frustrations along the way, but I can't complain about my life or job. Met some great people along the way here to, and do feel disconnected from my country of origin. I'm realistic to know though, that it might not always be that way, and at some point through work or other reasons I may have to move on. As for the bitter people, they're bitter and resentful wherever they are.

It's a pity you didn't join TVF earlier, I enjoy your contributions to the thread, thanks for sharing.

You are right of course, there's bitterxxxx everywhere.

Thank you Sir Die.

I believe you are a bit of a legend on TVF

Edited by Rooo

I came here for a year, and ten years later still here. There are frustrations along the way, but I can't complain about my life or job. Met some great people along the way here to, and do feel disconnected from my country of origin. I'm realistic to know though, that it might not always be that way, and at some point through work or other reasons I may have to move on. As for the bitter people, they're bitter and resentful wherever they are.

It's a pity you didn't join TVF earlier, I enjoy your contributions to the thread, thanks for sharing.

You are right of course, there's bitter xxxxxx everywhere.

Thank you Sir Die.

I believe you are a bit of a legend on TVF

not likely. I don't rate one iota in this place little gobbler and neither do u. There's certain trolls that get to run around and constantly be derogatory about Thais and Thailand, they seem to get a good run, but that's it.

wink.png

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

It is perfectly acceptable to use the terms "ocean" and "sea" interchangeably for coastal waters, in casual conversation. They are not exactly the same but they are not mutually exclusive, either. Mr.Crab was not here for the 2004 tsunami, apparently. It was in Indian Ocean waters, destroying much of coastal Thailand.

It is perfectly acceptable for landlubbers to use the term "driving" a boat, lot's of boaters do it, too. But 'piloting', 'steering', 'sailing' or 'handling' should be used when appropriate.

-NG

1. I was here for the 2004 Tsunami. When there is an earthquake a sea can experience waves. Otherwise a sea does not have waves barring a typhoon.

2. Ill informed landlubbers might talk about driving a boat; but consider that the person who said it has never claimed not to be an expert in anything.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

"In terms of geography, a sea is part of the ocean partially enclosed by land".

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceanorsea.html

Deny it all you want crab, it wont change the facts.

And say what, "a sea doesn't have waves apart from a typhoon"!

What ever you're on, I don't want any.

Edited by chiang mai

-NG

1. I was here for the 2004 Tsunami. When there is an earthquake a sea can experience waves. Otherwise a sea does not have waves barring a typhoon.

2. Ill informed landlubbers might talk about driving a boat; but consider that the person who said it has never claimed not to be an expert in anything.

Oh, my! A sea does not have waves? The Andaman sea, like other ocean seas, has ocean waves and ocean tides. Perhaps you are talking about the Sea of Cortez, or the Dead Sea.

-NG

Come on Capt Crab, you screwed the pooch on this one, give up

• Like 2

-NG

The Irish Sea or North Sea doesn't have waves?

What about The English Channel, is that a sea, ocean or just a channel?

I'm here, because I can see around beautiful ladies like you.(As your Avatar)

I'm here, because my money can go a loooong way further than in Europe.

I'm here, because I found a lady to take care of me, even me being an old fart.

I'm here, because Thai people smile and greet me, not as in Europe that you don't even meet your neighbour.

I'm here, because I love Thailand and it's people.

I agree, and I add that I am in love for thai language

Well for me it's good news and bad news.

I'm here until I achieve the title of being the first guy to have a TV wedding, ie, to meet someone from TV and marry them.

The bad news for the OP is, I've decided I'm going to marry her.

smile.png

• Like 1

-NG

If sex with dogs amuses you why don't you start a discussion in the pets forum.

It's too cold in Europe, don't like Africa, don't like the Middle East, Australia is too far, so does South America, don't like Christians, don't like Muslims, it's too cold in China, don't like India, what's left?

Florida, California? Spent too much time in USA to really considering moving over there.

I now have invested in house and cars in Thailand, spend my time between Thailand (10 months Thailand 2 months Europe)

Returning living full time anywhere in Europe is not an option, adopted a 1 year young girl here, she hangs on me all the time. Her education is a main concern for me.

Guess I will continue living like this for the foreseeable future.

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

I came here because I started working offshore and I was damned if I was going to give >35% (tax) of my salary to a bunch of freeloaders living off our welfare only to play the racist card if we object!

I haven't paid tax in the 16 years of being here, two birds with one stone there I suppose...

I do miss my country, but I miss MY country.. Something it isn't anymore... It's being/has been taken over by "them" because the politicians opened the immigration gates to let them flood in...

I'm not allowed to go into detail so I'll just keep it short and say because of Tax, Immigrants & Politicians.

Hope it's not too P.I. Mr Mod? [emoji120]

lol! as he brags about being an immigrant himself

• Like 1

-NG

a sea does not have waves? lol. try the north sea in winter or the bay of biscay, or lake superior. and many savvy boat owners refer to it as driving

To me it's a toss-up. Lived in Calif. prior to meeting my wife (Thai). She is actually the one who wants to live in Thailand (Family and friends here ...none in the US). I am retired so can live where ever I want ....as long as its with my wife ...."Happy wife ....Happy life!". Both places have their pluses and minuses ....just different..

Have to say though, after 10 years in Thailand ...I love it...The people's attitudes, food, and prices!

You don't mind the double pricing, 555.)

Even with the double standard of pricing in Thailand for farangs it's still cheaper than the states. Always willing to walk away if I don't like the price. And if my wife or I find out that a vendor charged us more just because I am a farang .....they never get our business again! Have to add also, if I think they might jack the price up because they see the farang ....I just send my wife in to negotiate (generally have a price in mind when I do this)

I think it happens less now with double pricing system.

(Wikipedia) Waves in the oceans can travel thousands of miles before reaching land.

Waves on other bodies of water are generated occasionally by wind.

and where do you think the ocean waves come from?

The tooth fairy -- so far on this topic I have been taking exotic medications and fxxxing dogs so what the heck.

Edited by JLCrab

Well for me it's good news and bad news.

I'm here until I achieve the title of being the first guy to have a TV wedding, ie, to meet someone from TV and marry them.

The bad news for the OP is, I've decided I'm going to marry her.

smile.png

555, you might regret with your decision.

• Like 1