Thailand ranks second in ASEAN for prevalence of obesity

Lite Beer

If their study were to include farang expats they'd be #1

I think they must have included the falangs already.

Another stereotype, i myself are 7ft tall weigh in at 66 kilo's ,i used to work for the post office.

What? Clearing mail boxes, where they had lost the key?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I am a bit of a health freak, so anytime I am out for a meal or just a coffee, before I even order, I say, "Please no sugar,syrup,salt,carnation milk " they must think I am a right pain, it every little,helps...

Like,I,said, Thai food, is heavily Salted And over sugared, and if they can throw in some carnation milk, they will..

Adults have a choice about diet and lifestyle. Children cannot make educated decisions for themselves and rely on parental guidance. What is emerging in Thailand ( and many other countries) will overburden the health system and consign many youngsters to misery. The merchants of death and disease should be made accountable...they are selling disease.

• 1 year later...

I never knew obesity is a disease:

"She said data from 2009 showed that Bangkokians were most at risk of becoming obese most, while the northeastern region showed the least risk of contracting the disease."

I always thought obesity was a condition or presumed dependency, such as alcoholism, as opposed to a contagious, tractable transformational disease?

Obesity is lessened in the likes of Laos and Myanmar because Western foods, such as Macs' and KFC are expensive and limited to the few financially adept.

Thailand's infrastructure is well bred for distribution of goods, albeit not for decentralisation of quality people.

Just another addiction, the poison of choice is sugar in large quantities. Maccas and KFC are both full of it, watch Michael Mores documentary on the golden arches. KFC make me feel sick here - it's sh!t. Why do coke and pepsi taste the same? I'll stick to my Thai diet, admittedly with limited sugary drinks. Diabetes is on the rise (the consequential disease).

Just keep the salaries low and you will avoid the obesity problems . 10000 baht per month should do it.

A few years ago it was considered a luxury to eat at McD here. Most Thais were slim back then, and more healthy than today , even if they ate the basic Thai food.

Edited by balo

I never knew obesity is a disease:

"She said data from 2009 showed that Bangkokians were most at risk of becoming obese most, while the northeastern region showed the least risk of contracting the disease."

I always thought obesity was a condition or presumed dependency, such as alcoholism, as opposed to a contagious, tractable transformational disease?

Obesity is lessened in the likes of Laos and Myanmar because Western foods, such as Macs' and KFC are expensive and limited to the few financially adept.

Thailand's infrastructure is well bred for distribution of goods, albeit not for decentralisation of quality people.

Just another addiction, the poison of choice is sugar in large quantities. Maccas and KFC are both full of it, watch Michael Mores documentary on the golden arches. KFC make me feel sick here - it's sh!t. Why do coke and pepsi taste the same? I'll stick to my Thai diet, admittedly with limited sugary drinks. Diabetes is on the rise (the consequential disease).

Burgers are only one thing. Dont forget about the French fries... And then... Supersize it. ?

Yep, noticed this... As a sex tourist (perv) of discernment, I stopped coming to Thailand over 2 years ago due the fact that I can't find slim girls to my liking any more. I now get my sex tourism fix in Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia now instead! The girls are still super-slim there! Sorry Thailand, but I'm just not attracted to doughy girls!

Wow!! Did he think he was typing in his diary. I think that comes under the heading of "too much honesty!!!" I have lost weight since i moved here. And I like slim girls too. Maybe I would lose even more weight too if i was in the abovementioned countries. (LOL)

Diabetes is on the rise too, as their Asian pancreases cannot efficiently break down the sugar being poured in by way of Coke, KFC, Starbucks and Maccas - hence the barge arse situation. It's a sellout; why is McDonalds even here, as it's a real estate company (maybe that's saying something) ermm.gif

• 1 month later...

Try coming to America! We put Asia to shame!

Been there, seen that, in downtown Austin Texas, many young females on the streets with arms and legs, and backsides sumo wrestlers would be proud of.

I took a team of Thai MBA students there to an international business competition. First morning we went to Wendys because it was 2 minutes walk from the campus, place was full of mostly young people eating themselves to death with multiple orders of everything on the menu, and every serving so big.

The Thai students were totally shocked, they ordered one portion for two to share.

I've been ogling the eye-candy in Thailand off and on for longer than I care to share, and I have noticed there are a lot more chunky young ladies than there used to be. It's inevitable when a country "develops" according to the IMF/World Bank etc paradigm.

And I'm not advocating women be undernourished, but the "nourishment" available in Thailand esp. in BKK since the '90s has taken a hard turn towards junk food and it shows.

Looks like I'm in the right country. I like chubby girls! tongue.png

thaifatty_zpsde1b92ac.jpg

Thai Food, is heavy salted and also heavy sugared, most drinks contain spoons of sugar or syrup....

Being Western it's so easy to pile on the pounds over here, we just have to watch what we eat....

Agreed!

Farangs are so quick to blame McDonald's or KFC for being unhealthy. Thai food is very unhealthy yet farangs get all excited when they see noodles an vegetables. Thai food is often fried, has lots of sugar and salt added an vegetables lose their nutritious value once you start cooking them. Those have to be eaten raw.

A plate of pad thai has more calories than a Big Mac.

Vegetables have to be eaten raw? You just make stuff up and post it online or who has lied to you about this?

• 1 month later...

Fatness in Asian countries is a sign of prosperity. These standards change according to social mores, a good example is white skin. For most of history white skin was considered desirable, because it meant you weren't working in the fields as a farmer. Then suddenly, around the 50s/60s, tanned skin became preferable, because it meant you weren't working as a pleb in a factory, and could afford foreign holodays. Thiness is down to the worship of youth. Most of us can remember the days we weren't ashamed to take our shirts off, in fact we'd do it at the first opportunity. For people of 30,40, or 50 to try and recapture that is rather sad really.

If it ain't sweet tasting Thais won't eat or drink it. Gotta have that sugar!!! And don't forget to throw in plenty of foods high in cholesterol. In a market have you even noticed how many of the stalls sell deserts, sweet foods, usually with bees flying around getting their sugar high...probably around 1 in 5 stalls.

I can't believe they put sugar in bread and milk here.

Fatty foods is not the cause of the current explosion in obesity, sugar is.

W

• 4 weeks later...

Ngaah, for the BKK area, of course, western fast foods are a factor. However, it is the total life style behaviors that need a review.. for example, with the internet and smart phones... people, children don't exercise like they used too back in the day. s

If it ain't sweet tasting Thais won't eat or drink it. Gotta have that sugar!!! And don't forget to throw in plenty of foods high in cholesterol. In a market have you even noticed how many of the stalls sell deserts, sweet foods, usually with bees flying around getting their sugar high...probably around 1 in 5 stalls.

I can't believe they put sugar in bread and milk here.

Fatty foods is not the cause of the current explosion in obesity, sugar is.

W

Actually there is sugar in bread and milk in the west also.

As a diabetic I take interest in the latest scientific studies. The most interesting was one made on two 30s twin doctors in the UK done by Cambridge University. In essence it found that for normally healthy people that exert a high sugar diet made little difference and far less of a problem than a high The high fat diet had higher sugar readings than the high sugar diet - for some reason the very high sugar diet caused the body to adjust its ability to cope. The fat diet was the opposite and had the additional problem that when heavy exercise was used to get weight off the high fat diet subject lost more weight (had also gained more weight) but half the weight loss was actual muscle. Not so with the high sugar twin who did not put on as much weight initially and lost less than the brother but most of his weight loss was actual fat and not muscle tissue. In fact a pure sugar diet or a pure fat diet almost self regulate as the subject just feels sick and eats far less. However, the study clearly showed that we can not resist foods that are roughly 50% fat and 50% sugar. This actually not only blocks our feeling of sickness at huge doses of one or the other but gives us cravings. So, ice cream and cheesecake are irresistible. Tests with pastries - where a mix was offered show that we are conditioned to chose the one that has the closest even mix of fat and sugar. Manufacturers know this and play on it. Try just eating a block of butter or just 16 oz of raw sugar. You most likely wont do it. But blend the two together and see the difference. By the way, they found not a single fad diet was worth while. In reality just avoid any processed food, eat raw vegies and if you are overweight constant, but not high stress exercise such as swimming or walking were the answer. Get your weight of and you will cope with sugar better. They also found that low GI products made very little difference - a bit disappointing as I have searched these products out. Of course a low fat and low sugar diet is what we should all try for. They are also looking at the genetic disposition of those that are especially drawn to that deadly mix of sugar and fat.