Thai editorial: Time to derail this gravy train

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

Loving the positive garbage sweeping mission that the General has set as his bucket list as well but I disagree with the last bit. The crazy red, and 'coups are bad cause hisory is static', and 'the only requirement of democaracy is having elections' falangs serve a useful purpose for optimistic positive people to be able to identify quickly pessimistic negative people. And that is a neccessity in Thailand which sure does attract them.

• Like 2

Articles like this are as plentiful as those calling for education reform.

Can we dare hope the NCPO will really shake this tree and then avoid putting their own tame ' chosen people ' in post ?

Unfortunately with this and every other positive step the general has taken and will take what happens when the country is returned to civilian rule ?

For me it's a rhetorical question.

I tend to agree, and the ideas that are being bandied around like this are very much needed!, although THAI must have some serious other issues, than just the perks the Board Members have been attracting.

However as you allude, lets hope that when replacements are found, they are replacements with the prerequisite knowledge and experience, rather than 'friendly'faces which would just exacerbate the whole cycle.

Wonder if they will dare get their teeth stuck into the SRT, which is probably the one area in the most need of a shake up.

• Like 1

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa :)

Please enlighten us oh "All-in-the-name-of-democracy"... Who are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Articles like this are as plentiful as those calling for education reform.

Can we dare hope the NCPO will really shake this tree and then avoid putting their own tame ' chosen people ' in post ?

Unfortunately with this and every other positive step the general has taken and will take what happens when the country is returned to civilian rule ?

For me it's a rhetorical question.

I tend to agree, and the ideas that are being bandied around like this are very much needed!, although THAI must have some serious other issues, than just the perks the Board Members have been attracting.

However as you allude, lets hope that when replacements are found, they are replacements with the prerequisite knowledge and experience, rather than 'friendly'faces which would just exacerbate the whole cycle.

Wonder if they will dare get their teeth stuck into the SRT, which is probably the one area in the most need of a shake up.

I'd hate to be the person tasked with drawing up a priority list of departments, organisations etc. requiring ' attention '.

To play with the words of the old aphorism about equality this time we can say " all are bad and some worse than others. "

Talk is cheap they say... the proof is in the pudding... the road to hell paved with good intentions....

While I vigorously applaud at the well meaning junta plans to put this country on the right tracks

it yet to be seen.....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

meeting fees?

Aren't meetings part of the job description? Did they get paid extra to go to the toilet and read the newspaper?

Something like those Oxygen Thief's in OZ chooka, go to a meeting twice a year and pick up twenty grand

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

meeting fees?

Aren't meetings part of the job description? Did they get paid extra to go to the toilet and read the newspaper?

Yes meetings with a fee attached are normal in many such situations, nothing new at all.

But what you obviously are not mentioning is the factor of the amount of the meeting fee.

Let's not have any elections . . . the "junta" seems to be doing a great job so far and I would hate to see the politicians reverse all these positive steps forward. There's a long way to go, but I'm hopeful that at the end of the day this will be the start of something new and fresh for Thailand.

On the face of it, the junta is doing a lot of the things that need to be done - the pessimist inside me remains unconvinced that they will be able to change the underlying culture in many of the organisations that are being put under the spotlight. It took Lee Kuan Yew decades to convince Singaporeans that systemic corruption wasnt the way forward, and the General is talking about elections within a year : I guess time will tell if these changes have a lasting impact.

Lee took over in '59 but still had to deal with a corrupt politician in '86 - I wonder how many Thai politicans would feel the same degree of shame that the politician in question felt when he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar and subsequently trying to buy his way out of his predicament ?

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/my-mission-was-to-establish-a-clean-government-lee-kuan-yew

Prime Minister,

I have been feeling very sad and depressed for the last two weeks. I feel responsible for the occurrence of this unfortunate incident and I feel I should accept full responsibility. As an honourable oriental gentleman, I feel it is only right that I should pay the highest penalty for my mistake.

Yours faithfully,

Teh Cheang Wan

• Like 1

oh lordy lord i'm loving this. I hope the Generals next mission is to drive all the crazy red farangs from Thaivisa smile.png

Please enlighten us oh "All-in-the-name-of-democracy"... Who are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

haha. Yes, who are they?

Even they are too embarrassed to say they support the PTP now.

The amount of times I have read "The Junta is evil, the DEM's are evil. thaksin is misunderstood, yinglick is the smartest PM in Thai history, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts" or "I really thought the PTP were doing a good job and I believe in democracy and one vote, BUT I don't support the PTP or the red shirts"

It is like me having an Essendon avatar on TVF and going to a football match wearing an Essendon shirt, Essendon face paint and clapping every time Essendon kick a goal, BUT I don't support Essendon.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2