Exchanging THB for USD in Thailand

What is the best way to this? Is the Foreign Exchange counter at the airport the only way?

I went to my SCB branch where I have an account and tried to order 3,000 USD and they said they can't do it!! I was like "but you're a bank, I'm meant to be able to order currency even though it might take a few days"!! Apparently they have never heard of this in Thailand.

I can get at the airport I suppose but they always give a shitter rate than the bank. Anyone any ideas?

Got to another branch of SCB or another Thai bank like Bangkok Bank, Kbank, etc. You'll get the best rate at a Thai bank or money exchanger like SuperRich.

Look for the lowest "Selling Rate." A Selling Rate of 32.5 is better than 32.6 because you only have to pay out 32.5 baht to get 1 USD.

You can use the website at the following link to compare the exchange rates offered by Thai banks/SuperRich. Link. Since you are buying dollars/selling baht, be sure to set the first currency field to Baht and the second field to USD. I expect at an airport counter you might get screwed with a smile.

P.S. Kinda unrelated, but ignore the totally bogus statement where it says to for "ATM Rates Select TT currency type" as ATM's use the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate unless the ATM offers and you select the Bank's Rate which will be several percent lower. This bogus statement is meant just to keep people coming to the site for site count/ad purposes. But the other rates they publish are accurate.

Krungsri told me any amount, same day.

Do you need to have an account there? Are you in a big city??

I went in to pay for my girlfriend's visa. Not a customer, but I said what about $5000, and they said, no problem, they had that much every day.

I went in to pay for my girlfriend's visa. Not a customer, but I said what about $5000, and they said, no problem, they had that much every day.

notice is definitely required, e.g. when you want 50,000 EURos and the amount in €500 denominations.

Ok thanks. I will try in a bigger city. Maybe cos I'm in the country side they don't know what I'm talking about.

notice is definitely required, e.g. when you want 50,000 EURos and the amount in €500 denominations.

It's academic in this case, I know, but 500 Euro denominated notes will not be issued unless you have a very good reason for wanting them and even then it's unlikely that they would be issued.

It's academic in this case, I know, but 500 Euro denominated notes will not be issued unless you have a very good reason for wanting them and even then it's unlikely that they would be issued.

an absolute nonsensical anti-€U British bullsh... fairy tale (most probably invented by Nigel Farage and spread by "Daily Mail" or the "Sun").

over the years i have done it more than once and friends of mine do it regularly. you don't need necessarily a bank, even money changers like SuperRich, BKK and a few others are handling these amounts in €500 denominations.