Pickups Comparison: Triton/Vigo/Wildtrak/D-Max/Navara

Dear all,

I'm having itchy fingers wanting a change of car to try a pick up.

I am inclined only towards the automatic models though.

which of these actually have a more reliable gearbox?

I saw that the triton has a relatively lower selling price (2nd hand) as compared to the others. even the 3.2L automatic has a decent selling price.

Is there a particular reason?

I would prefer to get a vigo as it's a toyota but there are so many variants that it's abit confusing. Maybe I'm looking at the 3 litre. Does it come with turbo for automatic as well?

I'm also sold on the D-max turbo 3.0

The ford and nissan i've not done any research yet so I'd appreciate any inputs.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of them have known issues with the AT.

The 3.2L Triton was discontinued in 2011 (replaced with a more powerful 2.5L), so has taken a depreciation hit. The 2.5L models still sell for reasonable prices (comparatively) when you take into account their actual new cost (Mitsu usually offer very good promotions)

3.0 Vigo auto is a turbo charged engine and now has a 5 speed auto box which is sufficient for this ride that has oooodles of torque at low RPM. In fact the previous 4 speed was adequate. smile.png

previous 4 speed meaning the 2005 models?

Toyota started using the 5 speed auto after the chump update late 2011.

The current generation Japanese pickups mostly use versions of the Aisin AW5 auto.

With similar engine performance, trans reliability should also be close.

Edited by Crossy
fixed non PC abbreviation

3.0 Vigo auto is a turbo charged engine and now has a 5 speed auto box which is sufficient for this ride that has oooodles of torque at low RPM. In fact the previous 4 speed was adequate. smile.png

previous 4 speed meaning the 2005 models?

No, think it changed a couple of years back, can't remember exactly. smile.png

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

• Like 1

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

Your saying Toyota trucks are typically under powered...?........blink.png

None of them have known issues with the AT.

The 3.2L Triton was discontinued in 2011 (replaced with a more powerful 2.5L), so has taken a depreciation hit. The 2.5L models still sell for reasonable prices (comparatively) when you take into account their actual new cost (Mitsu usually offer very good promotions)

My 2010 Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4-door has a 2.5-liter variable geometry (VGS) turbo with a rated

output of 178 HP. My fuel consumption (mostly urban driving) averages about 10 km/liter, which

works out to about 3.2 baht per km.

This truck is smooth, relatively quiet and reliable. I drove an Isuzu D-Max first, but I liked the feel

of the Mitsubishi. Acceleration is brisk, plenty of power even on mountain roads. Haven't found

anything about this vehicle I don't like, however trading up from a small car does require some

adjustment in parking strategy -- which means parking options are somewhat fewer.

The transmission, steering and brakes are flawless.

I like the wildtrack 3.2L but the waiting list was horrendous so bought the top of the range fiesta instead so easier for the wife to park although still interested in a wildtrack for the future. Had a 3L toyota 2wd which I thought was very good and good on fuel unloaded. Know lots of people with Toyotas and Isuzu's and very happy with them.

• Like 1

What is this prejudice against Ford all about?

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

expensive here in Thailand.

This ain't the USA, we do not get USA trucks here...........coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

That is true, though the world's best selling pickup is still the F-series. The Ranger, which is what we get is still now rated I think the highest, though perhaps not by sales in its markets and of course it gets its DNA from Ford, so they are doing something right. There are one or two nutty Ford haters on this forum (you Transam are not one) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Forget the Ford. As an Aussie we tend to like them so I persuaded my Thai business partner we should get a Ranger. We are in Nan so the small town may work against us but a few after sales issues were not easily attended to. Everything took days or weeks to remedy. And then in early April the front of it was wiped out in a smash. We have been told it could take up to 5 MONTHS to fix!! Standard wait time according to the local dealer!!

Forget the Ford. As an Aussie we tend to like them so I persuaded my Thai business partner we should get a Ranger. We are in Nan so the small town may work against us but a few after sales issues were not easily attended to. Everything took days or weeks to remedy. And then in early April the front of it was wiped out in a smash. We have been told it could take up to 5 MONTHS to fix!! Standard wait time according to the local dealer!!

I don't think there's any doubt that Toyota and Isuzu have the best dealer networks for service in remote places in Thailand, and if that is the main concern I think it's valid.

• Like 1

Not entirely true. Metro, our local Cat dealer has a couple of Kenworths, Caterpillar powered of coarse!

But yeah, the F150 would be a rare sight in LOS.

The old model Ranger was as reliable as any Hilux. Bit early to tell for the new model Ranger but the current Hilux is not a durable as the earlier versions so no doubt the Ranger is heading the same direction.

Edited by Jitar

I have a 3.0 Toyota 4x4 and really love it. Gets 28 mpg (had to convert to make sense to me) but I don't drive it like I stole it either. Goes through just about anything save quicksand. Pulls a trailer with ease and has room for most of the junk I carry around. I read the reviews before I bought it, and some said that it seem a little outdated. I'm not sure what they meant but they have obviously never driven a Ford 250 4x4 with its legencary log truck ride and horrible reliabilty ratings. Happy as a clam with this Toyota and there seem to be quite a few of them on the market right now.

I had a Vigo and exchanged it when I went for a new Mazda BT-50 2 yrs ago. Class it as better than the Vigo I had, 2.5. Turbo fantastic vehicle not one fault in over 2 yrs except for new battery. If I decided to upgrade to new one again I would go Mazda again

The Ford is awesome. That is if you want something that randomly breaks down and the service dept cannot diagnose (after it has sat there for weeks before they even look at it) then have the audacity to say it is your fault so your warranty is void.

Ohh and we should have told you before we pull it apart that you should involve your insurance company incase we do void your warranty. But because we forgot to tell you this and we have pulled it apart your insurance is also void.

The above is not isolated to Thailand either.

Edited by Spoonman

I've driven for work in Thailand, 3 Isuzus, 1 old style Mitsu, 1 old style Ford

I've owned a 2001 Toyota Sport Rider and 2008 Vigo and 2014 Ford Wildtrack.

Best of the work trucks, my first Isuzu in 1998 that was a warrior off road for a year and half. The latter models weren't built anywhere near as tough, same with the Toyotas.

Current Ford Wildtrack 3.2L is the best small truck I've ever had. Anywhere.

Edited by kwonitoy

Consider the New Chevrolet Colorado, built by GM in partnership with Isuzu in Rayong. 6 speed AT with 2.8 turbo Duramax (Dmax) diesel delivers same power as the 3.2L Ford. Service interval 25,000 KM

Can you direct me to where the prices are listed? I can't find much info online, only that prices start at around 570,000 baht.