how to get around town?

vento

Living out near the Ambassador, not having a good taxi service sucks. It's really hit and miss. Hopefully, they'll start doing what they did in Phuket and get rid of the mafia here.

What "mafia" have be gotten rid of in Phuket? Have any so called mafia members, or as Thais like to call them, "influential persons" been arrested, tried, or imprisoned for long terms for assault, kidnapping, corruption, extortion?

I didn't think so!

Living out near the Ambassador, not having a good taxi service sucks. It's really hit and miss. Hopefully, they'll start doing what they did in Phuket and get rid of the mafia here.

What "mafia" have be gotten rid of in Phuket? Have any so called mafia members, or as Thais like to call them, "influential persons" been arrested, tried, or imprisoned for long terms for assault, kidnapping, corruption, extortion?

I didn't think so!

Plenty of stories in the news forum about this. They seem to be doing a great job down there. Including arresting "influential" people.

I didn't think so!

Plenty of stories in the news forum about this. They seem to be doing a great job down there. Including arresting "influential" people.

Seems to me you guys are really drinking the Kool-aid on all these "reforms." Yeah, you can read about the [temporary] arrest of some of the minor flunkies involved in the various corruption rackets all around Thailand (airport taxis, mini-van services, tourist tuk-tuks, motocye taxis, etc.) When I start reading about MAJOR mafia figures in business and government being arrested and publicly tried and then executed or thrown in jail for long terms, as we have seen in China under the new leadership the past year; and when other such targeted individuals start committing suicide instead of going through the shame or arrest and conviction (as we've also seen in China) then I'll believe the anti-corruption campaign is for real.

All that is happening now is just window-dressing, with the major figures involved just stepping back into the background for the duration, only to surely re-emerge at a later date and resume their activities when the time is right. As for the government ministers involved in corruption cases going back a decade or more of both major colours, when they can just stop skipping out of the country and later returning when the statute of limitations is up to resume their normal lives and are actually hounded from country to country for extradition and trial and put in jail I'll believe there is hope for some reform in society.