Dämn These Power Cuts!

JetsetBkk

Car and truck batteries aren't really suitable for this application. Deep cycle batteries are what you want and they can be purchased from a solar supply store. A small plug in 240v battery charger will keep the battery topped up and ready for emergency use. And if it is just low voltage items to want to run when the high voltage power is out, you won't need that expensive inverter. Simply keep a "female" 12-volt DC auxiliary car (cigarette lighter) outlet hooked up to the battery and you can power almost any electronic device that includes its own 12-volt DC car charger (laptop computer, cell phone, etc.).

This is true when it comes to for example off-grid homes which charge the batteries during the day and release the energy in the nights day after day.

But as the deep cycle batteries are often more expensive than normal car batteries I think it's time, at least to question, if it's actually more cost efficient to use car batteries in situations where the power outages happen few times a year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not living in Patong anymore, but have very likely, power cuts when it rains a bit stronger, in my up country village in Udon Thani province.

Sometime for half a day, or a whole night! blink.pngbah.gif

Car and truck batteries aren't really suitable for this application. Deep cycle batteries are what you want and they can be purchased from a solar supply store. A small plug in 240v battery charger will keep the battery topped up and ready for emergency use. And if it is just low voltage items to want to run when the high voltage power is out, you won't need that expensive inverter. Simply keep a "female" 12-volt DC auxiliary car (cigarette lighter) outlet hooked up to the battery and you can power almost any electronic device that includes its own 12-volt DC car charger (laptop computer, cell phone, etc.).

This is true when it comes to for example off-grid homes which charge the batteries during the day and release the energy in the nights day after day.

But as the deep cycle batteries are often more expensive than normal car batteries I think it's time, at least to question, if it's actually more cost efficient to use car batteries in situations where the power outages happen few times a year.

I agree. Deep cycle batteries would be preferable. You can buy deep cycle boat batteries, but, as yoy say, they are more expensive, and the cost to benefit ratio may not justify their purchase.

I agree to the headline. After 30 years in the same Pattaya house with recently installed new power lines, poles and transformers as well as a brand new substation only a few hundred meters away I still get power cuts regularly. So in 30 years the situation has not improved. Is that progress? I think not.

When they turn the power back on it comes with a vengeance trying to supply all that was lost during the black out. Fridges, various power supplies, TV have all been lost due to this sudden surge of power.

Worst still are those tiny small cuts that last a second or so. OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF... It's like someone is playing with the switch just as they do with the volume knob on sound systems at temple fairs or funerals, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN.

re. the Off - On - Off - On cuts, someone told me that they did indeed turn the power of two or three times a few minutes before they start maintenance work that required the power to be turned off for some considerable time. This was to let people know that the power would be going down for a while.

I have no idea if that is true! smile.png

It used to be the case that power would go off at about 6 am in Rawai for a few seconds. I think it happened every day, but I don't know for sure as I often slept through it. But when I did wake up, I'd look at the clock and see it was the "6 am cut", and a few seconds later the power would come back again.

I got the feeling it was done to reset some appliances or transformers at the start of each day. I can't think of any other reason why the electric company would do it.

i had a silly UPS some years ago, but deceided it was not worth charging it 24/7 for the little minutes you get in return when you have a black out

You need sensible big ones, not a silly little 'un. biggrin.png

I've got these:

post-35489-0-27268500-1403698974_thumb.j - APC Back-UPS RS 500: 300 Watts / 500 VA. Powers the TV and cable box.

http://www.advice.co.th/products/preview.php?code=A0046864

Beware the stupid output sockets at the back. Make sure you get cables supplied with it.

post-35489-0-01523300-1403698984_thumb.j - APC Back-UPS Pro 900: 540 Watts /900 VA. Powers the desktop PC, monitor, modem, Ethernet switch.

https://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR900GI

Beware the stupid output sockets at the back. Make sure you get cables supplied with it.

post-35489-0-07113100-1403699003_thumb.j - Syndome Star-1000: 600W / 1000 VA. Powers some fans and PC speakers.

http://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/5204/13/index.html

Now I'm looking at getting one of these:

post-35489-0-67059300-1403701769_thumb.j - APC Back-UPS Pro 1500

https://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500GI

http://www.advice.co.th/products/preview.php?code=A0051958

The more the merrier!

i had a silly UPS some years ago, but deceided it was not worth charging it 24/7 for the little minutes you get in return when you have a black out

I've got these:

attachicon.gifAPC UPS BR500CI-AS_B1.jpg - APC Back-UPS RS 500: 300 Watts / 500 VA. Powers the TV and cable box.

attachicon.gifAPC UPC Pro 900 .jpg - APC Back-UPS Pro 900: 540 Watts /900 VA. Powers the desktop PC, monitor, modem, Ethernet switch.

attachicon.gifups_syndome_1000va_star.jpg - Syndome Star-1000: 600W / 1000 VA. Powers some fans and PC speakers.

attachicon.gifAPC Bacp-UPS Pro 1500.jpg - APC Back-UPS Pro 1500

The more the merrier!

These are good units, but you will find them quite expensive, when compared to a battery, charger and power inverter, and you have the option of running 240v appliances off the inverter as well.

I've got these:

attachicon.gifAPC UPS BR500CI-AS_B1.jpg - APC Back-UPS RS 500: 300 Watts / 500 VA. Powers the TV and cable box.

attachicon.gifAPC UPC Pro 900 .jpg - APC Back-UPS Pro 900: 540 Watts /900 VA. Powers the desktop PC, monitor, modem, Ethernet switch.

attachicon.gifups_syndome_1000va_star.jpg - Syndome Star-1000: 600W / 1000 VA. Powers some fans and PC speakers.

attachicon.gifAPC Bacp-UPS Pro 1500.jpg - APC Back-UPS Pro 1500

The more the merrier!

These are good units, but you will find them quite expensive, when compared to a battery, charger and power inverter, and you have the option of running 240v appliances off the inverter as well.

Yes, expensive for sure. But I recently started a new job - the UK government is giving me thousands of baht every month to spend. Something to do with me getting old. So I thought I'd splash out a bit. smile.png

I've got 3 UPSs.

A relatively old APC protects the big TV, and cable box, but not much use when Rawai cable goes out with the power.

A new APC protects the Desktop PC, modem, Ethernet switch, etc

A really old Syndome gives me fans and speakers.

I will get another big APC - about 6,000 baht - so I can run the Desktop longer.

I just looked outside - everywhere is black. Could be all of Phuket!

Edit:

Thanks stevenl - so which end of Rawai are you? I'm south east corner - near Rawai Hardware shop.

There is a simple explanation why nothing improved the last 10 years.

There was no money to for investments, caused to much money disappeard in the big black corruption hole.cheesy.gif

I agree to the headline. After 30 years in the same Pattaya house with recently installed new power lines, poles and transformers as well as a brand new substation only a few hundred meters away I still get power cuts regularly. So in 30 years the situation has not improved. Is that progress? I think not.

When they turn the power back on it comes with a vengeance trying to supply all that was lost during the black out. Fridges, various power supplies, TV have all been lost due to this sudden surge of power.

Worst still are those tiny small cuts that last a second or so. OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF... It's like someone is playing with the switch just as they do with the volume knob on sound systems at temple fairs or funerals, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN.

re. the Off - On - Off - On cuts, someone told me that they did indeed turn the power of two or three times a few minutes before they start maintenance work that required the power to be turned off for some considerable time. This was to let people know that the power would be going down for a while.

Don't think so.......the usual pattern is that there are a few very brief power cuts during the 20 seconds before a long power cut. When the power goes off, I count off 4 seconds, and if it isn't back by then, I know it's gonna be a long one.

Don't think so.......the usual pattern is that there are a few very brief power cuts during the 20 seconds before a long power cut. When the power goes off, I count off 4 seconds, and if it isn't back by then, I know it's gonna be a long one.

I guess it's either autorecloser or sectionalizer which works in that way. These are to protect the grid not to drop down in case of fast short-circuit (tree falls to the lines, but clears itself in few seconds). If the problem does not solve itself, then the section of the grid is dropped down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorecloser

I guess it's either autorecloser or sectionalizer which works in that way. These are to protect the grid not to drop down in case of fast short-circuit (tree falls to the lines, but clears itself in few seconds). If the problem does not solve itself, then the section of the grid is dropped down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorecloser

That's interesting. Maybe the "myth" of someone turning off the power deliberately before a long power cut grew out of peoples' interpretation of what they experienced because of these auto-reclosers.

Meanwhile... I got a bigger UPS and now share the load of my PC stuff between the two:

post-35489-0-86373800-1404184680_thumb.j

I know a little off topic but: I have 5 UPS units all in need of fresh batteries. Zircon PowerRate 600 (pretty old), Syndome S5 and a CBC (not sure of model). So, who carries batteries for these, and is it worth my time and money to replace batteries...or buy new?

I know a little off topic but: I have 5 UPS units all in need of fresh batteries. Zircon PowerRate 600 (pretty old), Syndome S5 and a CBC (not sure of model). So, who carries batteries for these, and is it worth my time and money to replace batteries...or buy new?

I go to the trouble of changing the UPS batteries when they fail (about 2 or 3 years). Only can find replacement batteries at Keehin on the bypass road. 1 klick past lotus junction going north. Cost - about 600 baht, plus my time.

• Like 1

I would break open the unit and inside you will see the batteries nested inside.

They don't make it easy as they want you to buy the replacement parts.

Surprisingly enough, they are standard D sized (maybe C).

Replace with new and reassemble. Some duct tape may be required.

If you break one of the connections, you may need to resolder.

Quite easy. I have done it tons of times.

Nice looking UPS units. Where did you buy ? And how much ?

From Advice, Chalong - the APC Pro 900 was about 6,000 baht and the 1500 was 12,100. Expensive but good quality and lots of features.

I changed the battery in my Syndome Star-1000 about a year ago. I took the old one to Amorn in Big C and they had the same model for about 650 baht.

I would break open the unit and inside you will see the batteries nested inside.

They don't make it easy as they want you to buy the replacement parts.

Surprisingly enough, they are standard D sized (maybe C).

Replace with new and reassemble. Some duct tape may be required.

If you break one of the connections, you may need to resolder.

Quite easy. I have done it tons of times.

My UPSs have panels to gain access to the battery.

One feature I like about the APC UPSs is that you can turn off the alarm when the electricity supply is cut..

My Syndome doesn't allow that, so I took it apart, found the little sounder device on the PCB and put some thick fabric tape over the hole in the top:

Here it is before the tape was applied:

post-35489-0-70552700-1404226150_thumb.j

And here it is back in its correct location with tape covering the hole:

post-35489-0-28834500-1404226166_thumb.j

It's not exactly as quiet as a church mouse, but it's nowhere near as annoying. smile.png

the ups I have on my office has large external batteries added, power failure and I can run my computer system and lights for over 4 hours.

at one time ( still thinking about it) I was going to add a 400+ watt solar panel to it also, simple to keep the batteries and inverter running during daylight hours

• Like 1

Those silly few minutes are normaly time enough to shut the computer down correctly.

Those silly few minutes are normaly time enough to shut the computer down correctly.

For me it is more about surge protection and line conditioning. Helps protect your system in the event of rapid power interuptions. Well worth the samll cost of powering the UPS 24/7.

I don't bother any more having a UPS.

I did have one, but, each time I got home, the batteries were bad.

99 times out of a 100, there is no problem just re-booting the computer.

On the odd occasion something has been fried (twice in 13 years), the bill has been 500 Bt.

If it does get fried, I just use my work lap-top for the internet whilst my (very cheap) desk-top gets repaired.

Absolutely agree.

For me it is more about surge protection and line conditioning. Helps protect your system in the event of rapid power interuptions. Well worth the samll cost of powering the UPS 24/7.

Although I've never had anything fried when not using a UPS, it was the protection issue that was the main reason for me getting them.

And today?

2 freakin' cuts!! One at 6:32 this morning - this was the "daily reset" event, as I call it.

And now we're cut again - from 12:20 until Gawd knows when.

And it was pointless me moving the old UPS to the bedroom so I can watch TV because the cable TV goes out when the electric is cut! mad.gif

It'd be more use in the kitchen on the microwave - at least I could keep my coffee hot!

Edited by JetsetBkk

the ups I have on my office has large external batteries added, power failure and I can run my computer system and lights for over 4 hours.

at one time ( still thinking about it) I was going to add a 400+ watt solar panel to it also, simple to keep the batteries and inverter running during daylight hours

I'm going to give this solution some serious thought! Can you give some details about how the external batteries are hooked up?

And... we're back @ 1:17.

So what the heck are they playing at?

Playing? Might also have been an accident, like a tree toppling over, dragging power lines with it. Apart from the other usual reasons, transformers blowing out and repairs/upgrades being carried out.

Also they warned repeatedly that there might be a shortage of power in all of southern Thailand, people being asked to try to use electricity sparingly.

I'm going to give this solution some serious thought! Can you give some details about how the external batteries are hooked up?

The ups I have had 2 12v 7 amp batteries inside wired in series for 24vdc. I added longer cables ( removed the orig batteries) and connected 2 large 12vdc 70amp batteries to the cables. its possible to add even larger batteries if needed. It I were to add a solar panel to the system i would use the matching 28,8 v charging regulator to the external batteries .