Bringing bodybuilding supplements to Thailand by plane

fitfalang

I'm trying to figure out if I should bring me a 3 month supply of supplements for me for my stay in Thailand. I asked about this in the "ask the lawyer" section and was told that you need a permit normally to import any food/supplement products.

I tried contacting the Thai FDA but was directed to another department, who eventually never replied to my enquiry. Besides, I doubt they'd actually want you to fill in an import permit form if you're just brining some proteins for your own use.

The products I would like to bring with me are:
-Hydrolysed Whey protein (2.5kg)
-Whey protein (2.5kg)
-Casein protein (2.5kg)
-BCAA's (0.5kg)
-Beta-alanine (0.5kg)
-Creatine (0.25kg)
-Dextrose (2.5kg)
-Maltodextrin (2.5kg)
-Multivitamin (1 tub)
-Fish oil (1 tub)
Someone might think "do you really need all those supplements?" but the reason there are so many is that I build all my shakes etc from ingredients rather than buying any ready formulas. I never buy any "Mega muscle X preworkout formula" - I mix everything myself with things I've researched to be beneficial for my training.
I've been looking at the supplement stores in Thailand: they seem expensive and I can't even find most things I'm looking for. I get all my stuff from Myprotein, that just delivers everything in identical plastic bags for good value.
Soo the questions are:
Do you have experience with brining supplements to Thailand by plane and how did it go?
If you do get stopped in Customs, do you have the risk of having everything confiscated, paying a tax on the supps, paying a fine or going to jail :D ?

You can buy all those products here and you can also bring them with you if you really want to.

Takes up allot in your bag just mix enough for a week and buy stuff here.

That is around 15kg of strange stuff that the Thai custom agent probably has no idea about... so not declaring it and getting caught (they do x-ray incoming bags..) might end you up in a detention cell for long time 'till they find out what this is all about and whether some of it might even be illegal bringing into Thailand...

- better find out first whether all of your stuff might is legal in Thailand

- have all the receipts and descriptions ready at hand

- go to the red channel and declare it and be ready to pay

Custom will see 15kg and will not do the translation into this being "only" around 160g / day for your 90d stay, thus "smuggling" and "resell" will be their first thoughts.

Anyone living here and buying supplements knows they are more expensive here. Personally I would not sacrifice suitcase space for this stuff.

I know for a fact you can buy unflavored Whey for 800bt a kg

BCCA you can get here too around 1000bt for 250 gr

Creatine you can get here too 500bt for 250 gram

The other stuff you might be able to get too.. personally I would not take it as it is a lot of powders that could give confusion. However nothing is illegal and you can claim it for personal use. But if they want to make problems they can. So you just have to decide if it is worth your trouble.

Why use up over 10 KGs of luggage allowance when you can buy the supplements in Thailand and many more besides that are probably strictly controlled in your own country?

The stuff you are talking about are not called supplements but steroids. These are easier to get here but also not legal and going through an airport with them could land you in a lot more trouble as the supplements the guy was talking about.

At least you won't have to have someone hold your dick,dick.

Someone got laughed at at the gym by a bodybuilder tongue.png

Quite probably, because why post in a topic with a legit question full with hostility unless he has some issues about how he looks himself.

• Like 1

Maltodextrin is cheap calories found in "bulking" formula. Save your baggage allowance and eat more rice.

Dextrose if like sucrose is just "sugar". Ditch that too.

Casein. Drink milk at night

There. Just saved you 7.5 kg!

• Like 1

However nothing is illegal and you can claim it for personal use. But if they want to make problems they can. So you just have to decide if it is worth your trouble.

Booze or cigarettes are also not illegal, and anyone could justify 2 liters of whisky or 4 cartons of cigarettes as for personal use, yet you will be taxed heavily when they catch you with it.

So the OP might be in for a surprise, tax-wise, if they bfind that amount of supplements in his suitcase.

However nothing is illegal and you can claim it for personal use. But if they want to make problems they can. So you just have to decide if it is worth your trouble.

Booze or cigarettes are also not illegal, and anyone could justify 2 liters of whisky or 4 cartons of cigarettes as for personal use, yet you will be taxed heavily when they catch you with it.

So the OP might be in for a surprise, tax-wise, if they bfind that amount of supplements in his suitcase.

There are no real limits on this stuff but there are on booze and cigarettes. They always say a months supply of medicine can be imported. This can be seen as the same thing. What he is bringing in is not extreme (i would not do it could use my suitcase space better).

Dad came here with 3kg of cheese that is also food not taxed either when they saw it. Only thing could be if something is against the THai FDA but the stuff he is talking about is sold here legally too. So that is not a problem. Still explaining this all to a customs officer that wants to make trouble and the time loss is not fun.

However if the guy is a tourist and just going to stay a month then it would cost too much time and effort to get all the local sources and then time wasted at the airport might be worth it.

It really depends, but I have seen most of this stuff for sale here in legal shops so you can get it here a bit more expensive and you have to look more.

I buy most of my stuff here (fish oil excluded that is really expensive here). I don't use that much protein so a kg a month is more then enough for me. But some guys just love their supplements, if they feel better because of it let them be.

I have brought in several of the products you mentioned as the price in the US is much cheaper than here. I have never had a problem, but I don't remember if my luggage has been searched when I had those products with me.

That is around 15kg of strange stuff that the Thai custom agent probably has no idea about... so not declaring it and getting caught (they do x-ray incoming bags..) might end you up in a detention cell for long time 'till they find out what this is all about and whether some of it might even be illegal bringing into Thailand...

- better find out first whether all of your stuff might is legal in Thailand

- have all the receipts and descriptions ready at hand

- go to the red channel and declare it and be ready to pay

Custom will see 15kg and will not do the translation into this being "only" around 160g / day for your 90d stay, thus "smuggling" and "resell" will be their first thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up! better play safe, as staying in a detention cell is not exactly how I want to start my trip..

Why use up over 10 KGs of luggage allowance when you can buy the supplements in Thailand and many more besides that are probably strictly controlled in your own country?

I seem to find most apart from beta-alanine. Everything is ridiculously expensive though! Luggage space isn't a problem since I won't be bringing much stuff with me anyways.

Maltodextrin is cheap calories found in "bulking" formula. Save your baggage allowance and eat more rice.

I have maltodextrin and dextrose as a part of my post workout shake, as they are pefect quick carbs for digesting after your workout. To get the same amount of protein from milk than a scoop of casein, I'd have to drink a whole litre of milk that would also give me 50g of unwanted carbs.

But I totally see your point, these things can be definitely replaced. I can have grape juice instead of malto/dex and maybe replace casein with cottage cheese, if they sell that in Thailand.

I just see i misread.. if your staying here 3 months.. then just buy most of the stuff here its easier.

http://www.clubproteinonline.com/

http://fitwhey.com/

http://www.phukethealthshop.com/

Thanks! Most of the stuff I want can be found there. The prices are pretty steep though, but I guess it's worth it rather than taking risks with the customs..

Edited by fitfalang

bobbin, on 24 Jun 2014 - 18:04, said:

You are a smart man Sir