Split in half: Man credits Thai amulet for walking away from Lamborghini crash

webfact

Split in half: Man credits amulet for walking away from Lambo-crash
By Coconuts Bangkok

10478545_766617710037693_326615917624480

BANGKOK: -- Already famous for dodging bullets and fatal plunges, Buddhist amulets can now add disintegrating Lamborghinis to their list of protections.

Last night a THB36-million, red-plate Lamborghini was found split in half after careening into a tree in Phitsanulok province. One half slid off the road, the rear half spun in to the street, and the driver? He just walked away to call his insurance company.

Pitak Veangsima, the president of a U.S.-based multi-level marketing company, said he was speeding through heavy rain at 150kph to see a client when he lost control and slammed into the tree. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/25/split-half-man-credits-amulet-walking-away-lambo-crash

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-25

• Like 1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume admitting he was doing 150 kph will not help his insurance claim!

(N.B. I have no idea if this would even affect an insurance claim)

In the Coconuts article for someone who has been in an extremely heavy crash, he certainly seems very unconcerned and smiley.....

• Like 1

He called his insurance company and he said that he crashed while he was speeding (150kph) in heavy rain?

I can't imagine the insurance company will give him 36 million after they know this info.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

If I was the CEO or HR of the US MNC that employs him, the guy would be fired. The employer would be liable for any deaths, injuries or property damage caused by this reckless driver who was acting within the course and scope of his employment (respondeat superior). Moreover, if they continue to employ him, and he causes another collision such as this, the employer would probably be liable for punitive damages.

• Like 1

I think if you took a look at the chassis, it will be one of these 'stitched together' dubious imports. Quite common to cut them in half and re-weld them in chop shops to avoid lots of cost. MLM, he nearly became a bit multi leveled himself, car, body, amulet, car.

Oz

Sorry, but just not true.

Nope. The cockpit is designed to completely protect the occupant in any collision, and is designed in ways, with complex polymer mixes stronger than steel, that do not disintegrate (usually).

The only reason he walked away is more than likely that he was NOT wearing his seatbelt, and his body was so relaxed through intoxification that he simply rolled a few times down the road.

As for your video; the analysis is utterly stupid, by the American. I'm sure the Lambo approached the car turning into its drive at huge speed. As for saying in any crash it takes two to tango is utterly ridiculous, especially concerning a high-powered performance car travelling at speed vs. a sedan crawling into its yard. Takes 2 to look out? Tunnel vision is not something a sedan driver experiences, nor does react to. The collision was completely the fault of the Lambo driver.

In the case of the Thai... nothing more will be heard. Rest assured at that. His amulet saved him, and will continue to do so throughout any court case. Do you now know why some amulets are so valuable? ;)

Time to stop all this superstitious drivel and just call it what is is... sheer dumb luck.

150 km/hr? That's only about 90mph. Me thinks much faster, or the car is a fake. Or Lamborghinis are not built to a level equal their price tag.

And the idiot was doing this speed 'in heavy rain'.

I think if you took a look at the chassis, it will be one of these 'stitched together' dubious imports. Quite common to cut them in half and re-weld them in chop shops to avoid lots of cost. MLM, he nearly became a bit multi leveled himself, car, body, amulet, car.

Oz

You're kidding right? Lambos are supposed to split like this. Chopping it up and putting it together will destroy the integrity of the car at high speeds and around corners, making it extremely unsafe and pointless.

Oz

It is weird. A Lambo should not split in half like that at 150kph. He was probably going faster or it is a hack job.

Could be a real one I suppose.

Multi Level Marketing? In my time we called that a "pyramid scheme".

150 kph in heavy rain in a low-lying sports car on a bumpy Thai road? In my time we called that "sheer stupidity".

Wearing magical amulets to prevent bodily harm? In my time we called that "dark age attitude" or "claptrap superstition".

• Like 2

The usual coconuts sensationalist rubbish. It's a tub car with the rear suspension mounted to the engine which acts as a structural member and the mounts to the chassis tub are designed to break under heavy crashes so the driver suffers less impact. Just the same as an F1.

See Ralf Schumachers crash for the reason why.

More than one structural member to be precise. You are wrong that the tub (cockpit) is designed to break under crash.

The A, B and C pillar structure should never shatter, no matter the impact load. Yes, it should break away from the chassis, to prevent one of the greatest killers: weight of rear tyre, combined with wheel and break weight, impacting the driver from the rear. The engine is not a structural member, as torsional loads cannot carry such weight along with the cockpit (as I term it, correctly). No way is an engine, and its weight, ever a part of cockpit design!