2.5 Million Baht “fake goods” raid at two South Pattaya Shopping Centers

Rimmer

2.5 Million Baht “fake goods” raid at two South Pattaya Shopping Centers

fake-31.jpg
PATTAYA:--Two South Pattaya Shopping Centers, known for their sale of counterfeit branded items were raided once again on Tuesday Morning as Police seized items with an estimated retail value of 2.5 Million Baht.

For many years Tourists have been purchasing counterfeit branded items in Pattaya and for the same length of time occasional raids by Police to combat this crime have taken place. Mike Shopping Mall and its sister store Mike Department Store have been targets on many occasions and both locations were the subject of further raids on Tuesday by officers from the Police Region 2 Special Investigations Unit and Pattaya Police.

A press conference led by the Region 2 Acting Police Commissioner, Police Major General Sanit confirmed the raids
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/132803/2-5-million-baht-fake-goods-raid-at-two-south-pattaya-shopping-centers/#sthash.frYELuK3.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-06-25

• Like 1

Always Mike's. Haven't been there since the renovation was completed, but the ground floor used to be the haven for counterfeit name-brand clothes. Seems like BIB are always after clothes, never watches, electronics and software.

They visit Tukcom on a regular basis too. You can tell when they are due, most of the stalls are closed, except the ones whose turn it is to get busted.

• Like 1

Still small time stuff.There are many more places and bigger places selling the same.Easy standing targets always good for a headline.

When are they really going to do something worthwhile?There must be dozens of yaabaa dealers,and other crooks all over the city why don't they round them up?

Unfortunatly,we know why.Nothing has changed even with the new broom in charge.

• Like 1

So many more targets available, like the copy watch sellers.. but those would have to be "collected" individually and could run, probably too much hassle..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If i'm not mistaken, 90% of the customers in Mike Shopping Mall are Chinese nowadays ?

Aren't most of these counterfeit products made in China ? If they are, the irony is surely not lost on the Thais who sell them that stuff.

Edited by Yann55

Still small time stuff.There are many more places and bigger places selling the same.Easy standing targets always good for a headline.

When are they really going to do something worthwhile?There must be dozens of yaabaa dealers,and other crooks all over the city why don't they round them up?

All very true. Nothing will change unless/until jail time is required and large fines are required. coffee1.gif

Good to get those clothes, cause far more damage than one would guess. I got fake Man U shirt and had to go into extensive rehab after last season. Wanted to get a Mexico jersey (only decent style except for Russia, and I will never wear Russia). England fans can just get white tee shirt and sharpie and make their own. Wonder if they will do a sweep down sidewalks of Beach Road? Have to bring the dump trucks for all the pirate goods.

I was in, I think it was MBK in Bangkok, buying some fake computer software. I asked the vendor how it could be that most of the booths selling computer software have illegitimate / fake stuff. I pretty much knew, but really wanted to hear a vendor tell me. Of course everyone knows, local officials, national officials, even international agencies whose duty it is to nab these people and confiscate the stuff. I suppose some of these places are "too big to fail" / really get legitimate and sell legitimate software. I wonder how much of a hit it would be to the Thai economy and to individual lives / people for them to all of a sudden have to go legal. Not that I believe it'll ever happen any time within the next ... many years.

There is, I'll say, a moral issue here. How many Thais can afford the 20,000 baht or so cost of Adobe's CS 6 that I got for I think it was 300 baht? So is there a moral imperative to make the cost of some of these products more accessible to people in countries where most people's wages don't afford these costs.?I realize that the great majority of Thais who even know of CS 6 aren't making 300 baht a day. But there are issues of ....

"When are they really going to do something worthwhile?There must be dozens of yaabaa dealers,and other crooks all over the city why don't they round them up?"

I suppose in your country all the drug dealers have been rounded up and there's no more crime?? If not, why not? Surely by now all the super farang police have drug dealing sorted out and crime is a thing of the past.

Edited by Suradit69