VPN in Chiang Mai

JLT

Can anyone recommend a VPN Provider for a friend who is returning to Chiang Mai next week and wants to watch British TV?

I'd be grateful for any information regarding set-up costs etc.

Thanks,

JL-T

I use OpenVPN. Believe you get 100MB free but the packages are pretty reasonable. They are data usage and not time usage which to me is an advantage in that I don't have to pay every month for something I may not use that much. I upgraded to a 100GB package for $20.00USD. They have bigger packages. Once the 100GB or whatever usage package you get is finished, you then re-fill so there are no time limits on the usage, that is it doesn't expire. You can see the supported countries on their website which includes UK/US.

Price structure here - https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php/price.html

• Like 1

The consensus among most Thailand Expats on Twitter, etc, is that Witopia and Astrill are the two best. I've been using Astrill for several months, with no issues at all.

There is a 7 day free trial on Astrill, which I don't think requires a credit card. One of my Brit friends gave it a try a few weeks ago in order to stream an F1 race from British TV (required a British IP address) and he said it worked flawlessly.

I believe pricing is about the same for both services.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

• Like 2

The consensus among most Thailand Expats on Twitter, etc, is that Witopia and Astrill are the two best. I've been using Astrill for several months, with no issues at all.

There is a 7 day free trial on Astrill, which I don't think requires a credit card. One of my Brit friends gave it a try a few weeks ago in order to stream an F1 race from British TV (required a British IP address) and he said it worked flawlessly.

I believe pricing is about the same for both services.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

I have used both Witopia and Astrill for more than a year each and in my opinion Astrill is far superior to Witopia,

• Like 1

/Dumbo here. Pls clue me in on value of this service in T'land. Am aware of need in commie china, but here?

No idea...just finding out the details for a friend.

However Dumbo, if you want your question answered, why not try Google or open a new thread?

JL-T

Just signed up for open vpn i have true move package 20/1 M and it is really slow on the recommendation of the 2nd poster have tried pure vpn in the past and they all seem to stop when i use BBC website and CH4 is just a complete joke i wish i could find a good one .

getting 1M speed when the vpn is on and 15M when it is off.

you need around 2M for it to run without stopping before i used pure VPN a least you could change the server in the uk if one was slower .

Edited by rakchaingmai
  • Like 1

/Dumbo here. Pls clue me in on value of this service in T'land. Am aware of need in commie china, but here?

The value of using a VPN is relatively transferrable between geographic locations - if you are aware of the benefits of using one in China then you are aware of the benefits of using one in Thailand...or Vietnam....or Uzbekistan.

Satisfied Witopia customer here.

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 2

I use a smart VPN called Unblock-us. They also have a 7 day free trial that doesn't require a credit card. I selected them after doing extensive research about using a Roku Box to watch US content in Thailand. I searched all the expat forums. My wife searched the Thai forums. The one that came up most frequently was Ublock-us. It is $4.99 per month. It works like a charm. I am streaming Netflix right as I type this. Good luck!

• Like 1

I use OpenVPN. Believe you get 100MB free but the packages are pretty reasonable. They are data usage and not time usage which to me is an advantage in that I don't have to pay every month for something I may not use that much. I upgraded to a 100GB package for $20.00USD. They have bigger packages. Once the 100GB or whatever usage package you get is finished, you then re-fill so there are no time limits on the usage, that is it doesn't expire. You can see the supported countries on their website which includes UK/US.

Price structure here - https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php/price.html

privatetunnel is where its at. US and UK servers *(among others)...reliable speeds of 3+. also very cheap.

• Like 1

According to my research, with a VPN you can have a secure connection over a public wifi. This allows you to do things like on-line shopping, checking bank accounts, etc., without having to worry about someone nearby snooping. There may be other benefits, but that alone is enough for me.

If I'm wrong about the security of a VPN, I hope someone will correct this post.

• Like 1

If I want to use Hulu, netflix, or a myriad of other services I use in the US, I get the message "not available in your country" The VPN can be used to make it appear as if I am in the US and therefore can use these services.

• Like 1

If I want to use Hulu, netflix, or a myriad of other services I use in the US, I get the message "not available in your country" The VPN can be used to make it appear as if I am in the US and therefore can use these services.

is that what Anonymox is? i was using it to access some U.S. sites that are blocked in Thailand. was working fine with a U.S. IP then suddenly over the last months it no longer works. i always get a message something to the effect "no available servers". any other similar services anyone can recommend to work with Firefox?

• Like 1

Another site to use in Chiang Mai that doesn't require VPN is called Project Free TV.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/

Click on "Tv-Shows" in the purple bar
Then scroll down to a program you want to watch.
Click on the program.
Next click on the season to display the full list (it defaults to only showing the most recent episode)
Click on the episode you want to watch - there will be many links for each episode as they are hosted all over the place. Start with the ones that have a speed of "Fast" (don't click on the stream now link, it doesn't work as well).
Click play...Enjoy!
If you encounter a random one that tosses up a popup all you need to do is close it. You should not have to register or login to watch anything.
  • Like 1

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to post information, it's a;; extremely useful (especialy the info regarding possible other services from "Duck Duck" and "Sturman").

It's all very much appreciated.

Thank you,

JL-T

http://www.unblock-us.com (not a VPN but a DNS service) let's you watch ITV and BBC. Benefit over VPN is that not all traffic is tunneled trough the VPN, for the most part it uses your normal internet connection.

It's also great to watch Netflix, but you will need a Netflix account for that.

I am not a tech-savvy person. I use unblock-us. I don't visit their site often unless it is to diagnose the health of my connection when there are issues associated with watching some content. This doesn't happen often. Because I am using a Roku box that doesn't allow me to change the internal settings of the box, I need to make changes to the DNS settings on my router for it to work. This allows not only the Roku Box to work with services like Netflix, but also every device that connects to the internet through that router. In my opinion, it would make more sense to go this route if you use multiple devices to view content. In my case, I use my TV, my computer, my iPad, and my iPhone. At home, they all connect to the internet through the same wireless router. Instead of making changes to each device I own, any device I may own in the future, all of the devices my wife uses, and any device that a guest might use in the future, simply making changes at the router level allows every device the same options for accessing these sites. Knowing what I know now after setting it up myself, I don't know why anyone would want to use another method for simply accessing blocked content due to so-called "geographical restrictions" placed on certain websites and providers. Can someone out there please tell me the advantage of using a full-blown VPN like some of the ones recommended in this thread?

I believe that ublock-us does not refer to itself as a VPN or a DNS. I think the technical term they use is "Smart VPN". Although I use this service myself, I must admit that I am still a bit confused about all of the options out there. My research simply indicated that this seemed to be the best option for my needs. It is very possible that there is a better alternative out there for me that might be cost less and be more effective. The only obstacle I have currently is the transparent proxy that is being used by my ISP, True Online. I don't know any way to get around the issues caused by the transparent proxy other than switching my ISP. I am not prepared to do that just yet because the impact has been minimal. From time to time, I still get the dreaded message that content is not available in my region even though I have everything set up correctly. Does anyone out there know what it means that True uses a transparent proxy? I currently just wait a few minutes and try again. That generally solves the problem. If that doesn't work, I change my region from the US to Canada. Then, I switch it back the US before reloading Netflix on my Roku box. This solves the problem 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I need to repeat this process 2-3 times before it works. Do any of you know another way of doing this so it just works 100% of the time other than changing my ISP to one that doesn't use a transparent proxy?

I checked out a Por no website from CM. No dice. The govt here blocks, censors, my desired content. Just like commie china. I guess i'm off the visit some real girls. But often enough the por no is just time going slowly. If need be someday i will look into this thread further. Tonight i'm off, to see the USA, v Krauttown

I've been using Private Internet Access VPN with mixed results but not impressed. What's not helping is my ISP - TOT - is supposed to be fibre optic but you wouldn't think it. It varies between 1-6 Mb/s most evenings. If I was paying the internet bill here I'd be ditching them.

Hola seems to be a very good alternative to a paid VPN such as PIA and wish I'd discovered them before.

• 6 months later...

Don't bother with a vpn for TV, it's overkill. Use a dns service, either one of the free ones, or something like unotelly - I use this and am very happy, well worth the minimal cost.

I'm curious - how does a DNS server help to mask/spoof your IP address location?

I usually use a VPN for TV, but it's a little slow for watching live TV.