Mexican football fans homophobic chant allowed at World Cup

Jingthing

Another angle on considering FIFA's hypocrisy and double standard about homophobia issues. Consider where FIFA awarded the next two World Cups. facepalm.gif

Although FIFA President Sepp Blatter and Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff had pledged to use the World Cup as a platform against racism and discrimination, FIFA has awarded the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 event to Qatar, despite human rights abuses in those countries and Russia’s 2013 decision to pass anti-gay laws.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/gay_slurs/#ixzz35wJaBudr

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GLAAD's take on the Puto controversy just before the drop the ball decision of FIFA:

Investigating Mexican fans of the national soccer team, the Tri (and perhaps Brazilian fans) for the use of the derogatory word "puto."

Amazingly, Mexico's coach Miguel Herrera has defended the use of the word as "not that bad." That attitude is shocking and so too is the fact that neither FIFA nor Mexican soccer have done more about this issue, and sooner. In fact, Conapred, the Mexican agency that investigates discrimination, has taken a stand saying the use of this word is not "a custom," it's irresponsible.

Unfortunately, we've heard many times a defense of homophobic words--and once not so long ago of racist words--as simply cultural or words that "were not meant to offend." As if intention is relevant. What's relevant is impact. It's downright depressing to hear the excuse of "culture" or intention to defend the desire to continue to use a word that hurts us so much.

http://www.glaad.org/blog/mexican-coach-defends-use-shameful-slur-fifa-investigates

post-37101-0-60595300-1403981021_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing

One has to wonder if these homosexuals ever played sport as kids, followed sport as an adult, attended any match or game in the real world just for enjoyment ? Or do they prefer to sit in their oversized bubble with that huge sensitive chip on those shoulder.

Big game tonight!

Mexico vs. Netherlands

I am rooting for Mexico big time!

My objection to FIFA's hypocritical decision about the Puto chant does not reflect on my great affection for Mexico and Mexicans.

The Netherlands ain't chopped liver either, but Mexico needs this more ... ("so far from God and so close the United States").

I would be similarly happy if either the USA or Mexico wins the whole thing ... but of course I'm not so insane as to expect EITHER will do so.

post-37101-0-57864600-1404030951_thumb.j

You can stream English commentary from this site. The time given is not Thailand time. I have no idea which if any broadcasters will be blocking out the Puto chant or not.

http://www.12thplayer.com/

To be clear, I am NOT advocating that media outlets block the chant. I am against censorship in general. I am for consistent application of rules against hate speech (racism and homophobia treated equally) by FIFA and other highly visible organizations of authority.

Edited by Jingthing

Post removed.

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

It's a huge game. Netherlands with a such a great football tradition and Mexico, a hugely important nation of Latin America (also North America). Incidentally also a huge people. Mexicans are now the MOST OBESE people in the world from a large nation ... surpassing USA, gotta love them for taking that "honor" from the USA.

FIFA dude criticizes FIFA dude on handling (more like NOT handling) the Puto issue:

coffee1.gif

While FIFA contends it's committed to ending homophobic and racist slurs at soccer matches worldwide, recent comments by an executive with the agency indicates that the group can't even agree on what constitutes a slur, let alone settle on an appropriate punishment for such instances.

"It is obvious there is a disconnect between what we in the task force deem as racism and discrimination and what the disciplinary committee deems as racism and discrimination," Jeffrey Webb, chairman of FIFA's Antidiscrimination Task Force told reporters earlier this week, according to Fox Sports.

Webb was responding to FIFA's decision to drop an investigation into alleged antigay, racist slurs chanted by fans during last month's World Cup game between Mexico and Brazil.

"There is absolutely no reason why, at this World Cup we don't have antidiscrimination officers here doing proper investigations, proper reporting," Webb said.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2014/07/03/fifa-officials-cant-even-agree-what-constitutes-homophobia-world-cup

Meanwhile, back in Mexico, a football obsessed nation ... you can be sure the Puto chant will become bigger than ever. Controversy is likely to come up at Mexican football events internationally in future so the final story of the Mexican Puto chant is yet to be written.

The article also has some interesting stuff to say about this issue upcoming in officially anti-gay RUSSIA:

"It is much more of a problem in Russia," Webb said, according to DNA India. "Russia itself needs a special task force, just for Russia and from an educational standpoint internally."

On a different note, one of PRAISE, it was great to hear the FIFA sourced announcements by the two captains before the Brazil-Colombia game tonight about FIFA's dedication to anti-racism and non discrimination and SEXUAL ORIENTATION was specifically mentioned. Of course the speeches were in Spanish and Portuguese ... I somehow doubt they were translated for t.v. broadcast to all languages ... such as RUSSIAN.

Edited by Jingthing

Dear Lord is there no end to this <deleted>?

Don't read it then. I think that will work.

That said, as far as this year's World Cup, Mexico is out, FIFA did what they did, I just posted info suggesting there is dissatisfaction WITHIN FIFA about what they didn't do, and I don't expect Brazil fans to do the Puto chant against another team (they did it in response to Mexico).

So yes that's probably it for now about Puto.

Edited by Jingthing