First time retirement visa

Hi

I need some help regarding getting a one year a retirement visa for the first time, plus a I year multi re-entry permit at the same time.

Was going to use an agency but 30, 0000 is way to much for this I feel, I have searched on the forum but found to many new and old posts on this.

What do I need to get to do this? and what’s the costs.

At present I have a triple entry tourist visa from UK, I have transferred 850,000 to a Thai bank account. this will have been in the bank for three months by September; this is when I plan to start this application. I’m over 50 and single.

Do I need to change from tourist visa to an O Visa first? If so what type? What paper work is required for this?

Then do i change to a one year retirement visa, what paper work is required for this?

Also I need a one year multi re-entry permit, what paper work is required for that as well?

Are there any time restrains on any of the above applications? can it be done in a few days?

This will be done at Jomtien immigration in chonburi in September.

Sorry about the amount of questions but I want to get it right first time when I go.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you.

Onemore chang

I'll get this started in a limited way:

1. Your money needs to be seasoned for TWO MONTHS, not three for the FIRST time retirement extension. (Info for others ... you'll be set with the three months of course).

2. You will need to do a "visa conversion" application from your tourist visa to a single O visa done at Jomtien. That's all it is. Not a specific name for this three months stay O visa. No it is not called a retirement visa. At this point you'll need to show financial qualification for your annual retirement extension (step below).

3. With this O in your passport you'll then be ready to apply for your first annual extension based on retirement. The current Jomtien timing policies for when to apply with a conversion visa when your seasoning is ready (as above) I will let others speak about. Obviously your finances need to be seasoned at that stage. They do not need to be seasoned for step above. Why? Because the O visa gives you three months for that to happen.

4. With the extension in your passport, you may then apply for either single or multiple reentry permits at your convenience. No need to do right away unless you plan on traveling out of Thailand soon.

You may have noticed that in actuality you'll never be getting a thing called a retirement visa.thumbsup.gif If so, you read it right.

Best of luck, you're so right, you do NOT need to spend money to do this. Most people who are financially qualified indeed do it themselves.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2. You will need to do a "visa conversion" application from your tourist visa to a single O visa done at Jomtien. That's all it is. Not a specific name for this three months stay O visa. No it is not called a retirement visa. At this point you'll need to show financial qualification for your annual retirement extension (step below).

The form you'll need to complete for this purpose is the TM86, which you can download via the link in the pinned topic at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631223-immigration-templates/

The cost of converting your visa will be 2,000 THB.

The forms for applying for a subsequent year's extension of stay and re-entry permit are TM7 and TM8 respectively, also downloadable via the pinned topic. The cost of an annual extension is 1,900 THB and for a re-entry permit either 1,000 THB (single entry) or 3,800 THB (muilti-entry).

Other paperwork you'll probably need is:-

* Multiple copies of your passport pages

* Some proof of your address in Thailand (condo lease agreement, utilities bill etc)

* For the extension of stay an ultra-recent letter (no more than a day old) from your bank confirming your current balance which should exactly match that in your passbook (of which Immigration may also require you to provide copies).

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Yes, and the application for annual extension based on retirement is 1900 baht.

Single reentry permits are 1000 a pop and a multiple entry permit is 4000 baht. Again, apply for these at your convenience or not at all if you don't need them.

Single reentry permits are 1000 a pop and a multiple entry permit is 4000 baht. Again, apply for these at your convenience or not at all if you don't need them.

Repitive post, read the one before the above cited one..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

For the timing of doing this,

Do I need to wait for any length of time between the application form O visa too one year extension of stay visa, this is very important as I still work away from Thailand, so I could find myself out side the country if there is any restrictions on time for this. This is all a result of the latest restrictions immigration has lined up for us all, so I’m going down the retirement route a little bit earlier then I wanted to.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Onemorechang

Thank you all for your replies,

im well on the way to getting my head around what i need to do this.

( tourist visa, too O visa, too One year extension of saty visa, plus multi reentery permit)

Got one more question.

is this correct about what paper work i will need for both visas

Copy plus originals, Condo papers (my own place)

Copy plus original, Electric bill.

Copy plus original Bank letter with proof of funds from out side of thailand and up to date passbook .

Passport size photos.

TM86 TM7 TM8 forms

Did i miss any paper work ?

Thanks guy

This link gives lots of details and I have found PCEC to be VERY accurate:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

If you entered Thailand on Visa Exempt (15/30 day stay) or Tourist Visa (60 day stay) and meet the age and financial resource requirements for a retirement extension. You can apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa (step one) and then apply for a one year extension (step two). This is usually done consecutively on the same visit. Thai Immigration will first process the Visa application and put the visa in your passport and a permission to stay stamp for 90 days. The fee is 2,000 Baht. They will then process an application for extension as described above and will extend your stay for one year from the end of the 90 day period; thus receiving a 15 month stay before you will need to renew the extension. The application form used for the Non-Immigrant “O” Visa will depend on whether you are in Thailand as Visa Exempt or with a Tourist Visa.
 If you entered on Visa Exempt status (30 day or 15 day stay), you will complete form TM.87 Application for Visa (click for Word Copy – click for pdf Copy)
If you entered on a Tourist Visa (60 day stay), you will complete form TM.86 Application for Change of Visa (click for Word Copy – click for pdf Copy)
The documents required will be the same as for the application for extension of stay. So you will need two sets of the documents – one set for the Visa application and one set for the Extension application.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Repitive post, read the one before the above cited one..

Glegolo

Just for the record, Gigolo, I edited post #3 with the price info at the same time as Jingthing was posting #4

Thank you all for your replies,

im well on the way to getting my head around what i need to do this.

( tourist visa, too O visa, too One year extension of saty visa, plus multi reentery permit)

Got one more question.

is this correct about what paper work i will need for both visas

Copy plus originals, Condo papers (my own place)

Copy plus original, Electric bill.

Copy plus original Bank letter with proof of funds from out side of thailand and up to date passbook .

Passport size photos.

TM86 TM7 TM8 forms

Did i miss any paper work ?

Thanks guy

Just the passport copies, I think. You'll probably need 3 sets, the first with the TM86, the second with the TM7 and the third with the TM8.

Of course you'll need an original letter from your Thai bank showing your bank balance (done just before application(s) for visa conversion and extension). One if done same day.

Will also need copies of your bank savings book records going back during the seasoning time.

Need some proof of address as stated.

Of course you'll need an original letter from your Thai bank showing your bank balance (done just before application(s) for visa conversion and extension). One if done same day.

Will also need copies of your bank savings book records going back during the seasoning time.

My wife (USA passport, over 50) will be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement later this year and I have a question on the proof of address.

The lease for the house we rent is in my name only. I won't be able to change that. It might be easier to move! We have different last names. Will a copy of the lease and our marriage certificate work (NYS marriage certificate)? The only other proof of address she will have is the letter from the bank (if they list her address), our internet bill and cable TV bill?

Will any of that be enough?

To the OP -- another factoid mentioned in another thread here of relevance to you. As you are doing a conversion from tourist visa to O visa, you will likely be required to show the seasoned funds were transferred in from abroad. I reckon the external transfer code in your bank account passbook will be sufficient to prove this but it would be sensible to keep any documentation of the transfer around in case asked for more. Generally extensions based on retirement using bank account methods do not require the funds be transferred in from abroad, but this case is an exception.

Edited by Jingthing

My wife (USA passport, over 50) will be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement later this year and I have a question on the proof of address.

The lease for the house we rent is in my name only. I won't be able to change that. It might be easier to move! We have different last names. Will a copy of the lease and our marriage certificate work (NYS marriage certificate)? The only other proof of address she will have is the letter from the bank (if they list her address), our internet bill and cable TV bill?

Will any of that be enough?

Sorry, I have no idea about that.

Thank you guys for all your answers

Got one more question.

When I obtain the O visa (tourist visa change too O visa change too, One year extension of stay visa if I need to leave Thailand in a hurry midway through the complete application process (assuming I cant do the hole visa process in one or tw days) , can I obtain a reentry permit for that O visa or do I have to remain in Thailand for the three months validity of the O visa ?

Thank you

onemorechang