Cricket International Series & General Chat

Controversial dismissal of Ben Stokes overshadows Australia's 64-run victory at Lord's

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-06/ben-stokes-dismissal-overshadows-australia-odi-win-at-lords/6752958

More english whinging... The ball would have hit the stumps, Stokes brought his hand all the way over to stop it. Mate, you are out. Quit complaining.

See my post in the Ashes topic.

Basically, Stokes' dismissal may have been within the letter of the law; but Smith's reaction was certainly not within the spirit of the game.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<deleted>?

Ashes: England, South Africa and India Tests to leave the Waca

Future Ashes Test matches in Perth are to be moved away from the iconic Waca ground to a new stadium in the city.

Plans have been unveiled which include moving all Australia's Test matches against England, South Africa and India to the new 60,000-seater Perth Stadium.

The Waca will be renovated and maintained as a "boutique stadium".

Former Australia fast bowler Dennis Lillee has resigned as Western Australian Cricket Association president over the move.

For Austrailians, particulalrly Western Australians, it must feel like there being no more tests at Lords would feel to us English.

Gutted!

The pitch at the WACA is unique and world renowned.

So they are just gonna demolish the wacca? If so Seems a bloody shame all that heritage lost..

rijit

A new stadium is being built so it's all about the dollars.

The WACA will remain and host some international games and first class cricket.

Another great called to the pavilion in the sky:

Brian Close: Former England and Yorkshire captain dies, aged 84

"He will go down as one of the bravest cricketers of all time," added Bird, a former Yorkshire team-mate of Close, and now the club's president.

"He would stand at short-leg, about a yard away from the bat, and would never flinch if the ball hit him. He would take it in his stride and carry on."

Batting, too, he would not flinch when hit by the ball.

Who can forget this when facing Michael Holding

Remember, no helmets or chest pads in those days!

Another great called to the pavilion in the sky:

Brian Close: Former England and Yorkshire captain dies, aged 84

"He will go down as one of the bravest cricketers of all time," added Bird, a former Yorkshire team-mate of Close, and now the club's president.

"He would stand at short-leg, about a yard away from the bat, and would never flinch if the ball hit him. He would take it in his stride and carry on."

Batting, too, he would not flinch when hit by the ball.

Who can forget this when facing Michael Holding

Remember, no helmets or chest pads in those days!

He was before my time but I've read about him in a couple of Ian Botham books.

Hard to imagine a more tougher/braver player.

With the exception of Steve waugh of coursetongue.png

• 1 month later...

Extraordinary game just finished in Abu Dhabi!

Pakistan 1st innings; 523 for 8 dec. Malik 245, Shafiq 107.

England 1st innings; 598 for 9 dec. Cook 263, Root 85.

Four days on a lifeless pitch with nothing for the bowlers. As Boycott said, you could play 10 days on this pitch and still not get a result.

Then, after England declared on the morning of day 5; it all changed.

Pakistan 2nd innings; 175 all out.

No spinner took a wicket in either 1st innings; all went for plenty

But that changed. Rashid, on his debut, having gone for 0 for 163 in Pakistan's 1st innings, got 5 for 64 in their second.

England needed 99 to win from a maxim of 19 overs; but light was also a factor.

England went for it; Buttler and Moen opening and going for shots, even if it meant taking risks and losing their wicket. Later batsmen could defend and hold out for a draw if necessary.

Pakistan, of course, delayed as much as they could, long chats about field placings between overs etc. No doubt England, and any other team, would have done the same.

Then the umpires called the game off due to bad light with England on 74 for 4 off 11 overs.

Match drawn.

Should have won that. I know his stats at 50.& 20 /20 but Giving buttler his debut as an opener Imo a bizzare decision that ultimately proved to be wrong .

I could totally see the logic.

England needed to score 99 runs as quickly as possible; failing light meant they would almost certainly not get the scheduled remaining 19 overs, as indeed they didn't.

So get the big hitters out there; if they got out while trying to score quickly, there were more to follow.

Though I can see your point, maybe Root and Moeen would have been better..

Of course, being a test match, there were no fielding restrictions, and Pakistan put most of their men on the boundary.

Even so, England were on course, until the light defeated them.

But, how much easier would it have been for England if chances had been taken in Pakistan's first innings?

Ian Bell dropped Mohammad Hafeez (98) and Shafiq (107) at slip when they'd made only 7 and 11 respectively, if I recall correctly. Shoaib Malik (245) was dismissed off a no-ball by Stuart Broad when he'd made, if memory serves, 40.

In the first four days: 1092 runs scored; 16 wickets falling, none to spinners.

Last day: 278 runs scored, 15 wickets falling. All but three ( 1 run out, 2 to Anderson) falling to spinners!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Australia team for the first Test

Burns and Khawaja the new names

Steve Smith (C )

David Warner (vc)

Joe Burns Josh Hazlewood Usman Khawaja Mitchell Johnson Nathan Lyon Mitchell Marsh Peter Nevill Mitchell Starc Peter Siddle Adam Voges

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-30/burns-handed-test-recall-as-australia-opts-against-bancroft/6899144

Edited by ripstanley

Here is Australia team for the first Test

Burns and Khawaja the new names

Steve Smith (C )

David Warner (vc)

Joe Burns Josh Hazlewood Usman Khawaja Mitchell Johnson Nathan Lyon Mitchell Marsh Peter Nevill Mitchell Starc Peter Siddle Adam Voges

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-30/burns-handed-test-recall-as-australia-opts-against-bancroft/6899144

Is it just me, or is this the weakest batting line up since the Packer days?

Question marks over Khawaja, Burns, Voges and Marsh.

Warner and Smith the only A graders I reckon.

Let's hope some of them can step up.

The Aussies off to a reasonable start in a warm up game against NZtongue.png

Cricket Australia XI 503/0 (121.0 ov) New Zealanders

The game has been abandoned due to the state of the wicket. I just saw it on the TVNZ news and it was disgraceful. It was deemed unsafe.

The Aussies off to a reasonable start in a warm up game against NZtongue.png

Cricket Australia XI 503/0 (121.0 ov) New Zealanders

The game has been abandoned due to the state of the wicket. I just saw it on the TVNZ news and it was disgraceful. It was deemed unsafe.

Unsafe for the bowlers I assume?

Couldn't be too bad for the batsmen, Aussie XI scoring 500 for no wicket.

Apparently the kiwis wanted to abandon the match and get to Brisbane early....or watch the Chris Cairns match fixing trial live on satellite. NZ tried to declare twice, without having batted...jeez, little wonder we only play the kiwis once a decade these days

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/cricket-australia-xi-v-nz-live-scores-day-two-of-tour-match-at-blacktown/story-e6frf3g3-1227587931490

THE tour match between Cricket Australia XI and New Zealand at Blacktown International Sportspark in Sydney has been abandoned after agreement between the two teams.

There were farcical scenes earlier in the day when the Black Caps reportedly tried to declare twice without facing a ball, after the hosts declared their first innings on 1-503 thanks.

Play was at first suspended, but the end appeared to be nigh when stumps were pulled out and the CA XI players left the ground.

Cricket Australia’s Head of Cricket Operations Sean Cary said: “The decision has been agreed between the two teams to abandon the match due to the wicket’s deteriorating surface becoming unfit for First-Class cricket.

Edited by BookMan

Australia V New Zealand test match on at the Gabba (Brisbane) today.

Aussies about 0/60.

Some difficult early conditions but the Aussies showed some patience.

New Zealand only have two decent bowlers, so once they have a spell it is on for the batsmen

Australia are 0/173 in their 2nd innings. They lead by 412. Still over 2 days to go. There is a rain delay.

Joe Burns is 100 not out. He was on 88 and 3 balls later 100. He hit 6 0 6 . Great hitting

Warner gets his century!

Aussies 0/200++

That's what happens when you play the World's 12th ranked test nation

Australia are 0/173 in their 2nd innings. They lead by 412. Still over 2 days to go. There is a rain delay.

Joe Burns is 100 not out. He was on 88 and 3 balls later 100. He hit 6 0 6 . Great hitting

Warner gets his century!

Aussies 0/200++

It's all over.

Not much of a contest.

ICC rankings for Tests

5 November 2015

South Africa

Pakistan

Australia

India

New Zealand

England

Sri Lanka

West Indies

Bangladesh

Zimbabwe

Edited by Will27

Warner gets his century!

Aussies 0/200++

It's all over.

Not much of a contest.

ICC rankings for Tests

5 November 2015

South Africa

Pakistan

Australia

India

New Zealand

England

Sri Lanka

West Indies

Bangladesh

Zimbabwe

New Zealand 5th!!!

Mate, i think u have the women's world rating list there

Australia 1/243 at lunch off just 53 overs

Warner 129 not out

Khawaja 69 not out

My associate, Chimpy, has been bombarding me with stats this game. One interesting factoid he noted this game:

Usman Khawaja had his test debut before David Warner

Khawaja has played 10 test matches

Warner has played 44 test matches

Day 2 of the test match. Australia 2/416

Looks to be all over. Just a matter of:

a. How many runs can Warner score. Can he make 400?

b. Can the kiwis bowl a maiden over?

c. WIll Australia bat all day and go for 800?

Catch up with what has happened here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-new-zealand-2015-16/content/story/940227.html

Brendon McCullum has copped a bit for his captaincy, and specifically his field placings this test and the previous one.

I'm not so sure he deserves it. The commentators kept ranting about how he needed more slips and more of this and that. yet the ball never went to any of the positions they were talking about at a catchable height. In other words, his field placings didn't seem to result in any missed opportunities.

His bowlers couldn't maintain the pressure, and they have come up against David Warner in awesome form. Throw in a bit of bad luck with using up their Reviews and missing a couple of chances. if they had a review remaining it could have been different.