Thai anti-graft agency NACC releases info on politicians' assets

webfact

If I understand correctly, this is what the politicians themselves declared...

In order to be meaningful, it should be compared to previous governments numbers and even to other countries with a similar GDP and growth rate, I think...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so tell me just "how" they accumulated all those assets . . . companies, businesses, gifts, shares, stocks? How exactly did they manage to get so much . . .

To be perfectly honest, the important thing is how do the assets now compare to the assets they had when they they formed a government. If that information can be accessed perhaps we'll hear the end of the incessant bleats about "bleeding the country dry".

An example, a former Deputy Defence Minister in the abhisit government went from declared assets of 9.39 Million Baht to 79.063 Million baht just one year later. An increase of nearly 70 million baht in one year. I wonder how that happened, perhaps a favourite aunt died or something?

• Like 1

Plodprasop Suraswadi; he was the science and technology minister and did a sparkling job as impersonator of long gone performers; remember the following picture?
post-65504-0-65102900-1403863185_thumb.j
Assume that hence the increase in wealth is explained as the reward for his undying endeavours in keeping the culture, science and technology up.
His professional background is fishery management (not fishy; clean your glasses, will you!).
He declared assets of approx. EUR 23 million when he took office in September 2011 - all afore-mentioned as per Wikipedia's German page (no English page available!). And guess what, his gain were a mere THB 20 millions; if he would have kept his loose change in EUR his account would read THB 1.015 billion - only!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about the Junta declare their assets in the interest of less corruption and transparency?

Excellent Point - Gen Prayuth resigned as a director of TMB just a few days ago. I would love to see the assets of him as well and including his wife and children. In fact of everyone in the Interim government.

I also would like to know Kamnan Suthep was able to buy the Pacific Club at Two Pacific Club next to the Landmark. According to my friends who are Indian Thais he bought that Club around five months ago.

In the west every person in parliament must declare their assets and not only the ruling party.

Why the Junta doesn't check from where Suthep got all that money to buy the Pacific Club in Bangkok.

After opening his mouth last Saturday at the fund raising dinner (at the Pacific Club of course) that he had a deal with the JUNTA for the last 4 years, I wasn't surprised that he left two days later to go home to his native Surat Thani.

Looking at Yingluck's assets of 500+ million Baht I would say she has not much money. Many army generals have more assets then her.

Edited by MobileContent

Plodprasop Suraswadi; he was the science and technology minister and did a sparkling job as impersonator of long gone performers; remember the following picture?

attachicon.gif945628_509887629060928_1549254044_n.jpg

Assume that hence the increase in wealth is explained as the reward for his undying endeavours in keeping the culture, science and technology up.

His professional background is fishery management (not fishy; clean your glasses, will you!).

He declared assets of approx. EUR 23 million when he took office in September 2011 - all afore-mentioned as per Wikipedia's German page (no English page available!). And guess what, his gain were a mere THB 20 millions; if he would have kept his loose change in EUR his account would read THB 1.015 billion - only!

Was he not also at one time minister of the environment ?

A job he would know a bit about as it would seem he still has a date to keep with a judge to explain about exporting endangered wildlife.

Then there was the story about him wanting to open a restaurant at a zoo in the north selling meat from exotic animals to tourists.

Poor old Charlem, a career of corruption and only 171 million to show for it. Even young Akanat who is barely out of diapers is nearly ahead of him.

Don't worry for him, it's just is official asset......

EC and NACC will ask him about CAPO extra budget.......

It would be interesting to know how CAPO went through over 32 million Baht a day for many months.

• Like 1

OK, so tell me just "how" they accumulated all those assets . . . companies, businesses, gifts, shares, stocks? How exactly did they manage to get so much . . .

To be perfectly honest, the important thing is how do the assets now compare to the assets they had when they they formed a government. If that information can be accessed perhaps we'll hear the end of the incessant bleats about "bleeding the country dry".

An example, a former Deputy Defence Minister in the abhisit government went from declared assets of 9.39 Million Baht to 79.063 Million baht just one year later. An increase of nearly 70 million baht in one year. I wonder how that happened, perhaps a favourite aunt died or something?

The only 'bleat'ing here is coming from you Thaksin lover....whistling.gif

We all know what they declare is only what they don't have hidden in their off shore accounts or in their spare bed room. Every politician should come under especially intense scrutiny from an independant organization from the day they start being a politician and there need to be extremely severe penalties for anyone who lies or cheats and is found out.

• Like 2

Further to "bleeding the country dry"

Yinglucks assets in 2011, 541 Million baht.

In 2014, 574.3 million baht, an increase of 33.3 Million baht

An approximate increase of 6% total over 3 years.

Bear with me here, I'm going for the simplistic approach as economics is not my strong point

So allowing for the interest rate over that period ( the website http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/interest-rate, quotes an average of 2.48% between 2000 and 2014)

thailand-interest-rate.png?s=btrr1day&d1

it doesn't look as though she was "emptying the treasury" does it?

As I said, Economics is not my strong point so if there's anything amiss I'm sure someone will tell me, I'm willing to learn.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

How does a top policeman become one of the richest people in Thailand?

On a salary less than the primeminister's, this would beseech normal income routes, even if he has a business which is not logged.... and he does not!

He had a cunning plan which he will not reveal ( for fear of prosecution )

We all know what they declare is only what they don't have hidden in their off shore accounts or in their spare bed room. Every politician should come under especially intense scrutiny from an independant organization from the day they start being a politician and there need to be extremely severe penalties for anyone who lies or cheats and is found out.

Oh, will you desist in the childish pathetic stereotyping. Can we not discuss this like adults without the name calling?

It's the same rules for whatever party and these rules are the ones that the NACC specify. We have nothing else to compare it to.

I could quite rightly state that abhisit hasn't had a job outside of being a politician yet still he is worth 52 million baht. Where did he get that from, an extra evening job flipping burgers in McDonalds? And what about all those millions he's allegedly got stashed in the British Virgin Islands? - that was a false claim to illustrate the pointlessness of your argument - "We all know" facepalm.gif

It's like saying Yingluck has spent three years stealing money from the coffers - pointless, can't be proved and just partisan assumption to further an agenda.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

I have said this for years. Never say a word, and get a list of the bank accounts of every single

person holding office. Or formerly in this case since the coup . Starting with Plodprasop , bring

them in for questioning and ask them where the money came from. He would be a great start,

as the phrase government salary and the phrase 967 million baht do not go together well.

This is the same test the IRS does in America. Meaning if the IRS catches you holding a whole

lot of money that you cannot explain where it came from, that means you stole it.....

Cannot believe Chalerm has done so poorly at only 171 million baht. Or as a long time political

hack who had been investigated for unusual wealth in the past, he perhaps is more clever

and has his money off shore. Perhaps Plodprasop does not understand off shore banking....

I have been told you won't find the money in bank accounts but there is a large amount of property held in various names which id harder to trace. Judging from some large houses built around here in the last year or two, with no one in residence, I can believe it. This under the table money, in cash, is very difficult to trace to a level of proof required in court.

• Like 1

These declarations of assets do not mean a whole lot. This conjecture on my part stems from the story

in 2011, when the transport permanent secretary's home was robbed. The robbers only took

18 million baht from boxes stuffed with cash , and later said they had to leave a lot as they could not

carry it all. And this is from a minor figure in politics. Just imagine what the big fish are doing....

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Stolen-cash-linked-to-transport-project-bidders-NA-30172337.html

"The money was from nine banks and it was found that the banknote bands from five banks contained information that linked them to certain private companies involved in bidding for Transport Ministry projects, according to the NACC spokesman."

• Like 2

you see this is why I refuse to give to "Poor countries" because they are all like this. Corrupt officials like this enjoying their London homes and countless overseas trips etc etc. I know this is the hard bit but unless you have serious regime change its just gonna stay the same and the poor will just get poorer. When you give money its like those at the top say "Thanks, you see we don't need to give because farang will help the poor and we can continue the way we have always been".

• Like 1

Oh, will you desist in the childish pathetic stereotyping. Can we not discuss this like adults without the name calling?

It's the same rules for whatever party and these rules are the ones that the NACC specify. We have nothing else to compare it to.

I could quite rightly state that abhisit hasn't had a job outside of being a politician yet still he is worth 52 million baht. Where did he get that from, an extra evening job flipping burgers in McDonalds? And what about all those millions he's allegedly got stashed in the British Virgin Islands? - that was a false claim to illustrate the pointlessness of your argument - "We all know" facepalm.gif

It's like saying Yingluck has spent three years stealing money from the coffers - pointless, can't be proved and just partisan assumption to further an agenda.

''pointless, can't be proved and just partisan assumption to further an agenda.''

- Funny, I could sy the same about 99% of your posts......whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

• Like 2

Fantastic start. And can hardly wait for report on Suthep and his whole crew. Should be out any moment now..... blink.png Followed up by transparent report on wealth of various members of armed forces I am sure. They want to be fair and balanced in order to prove this coup was done for the good of all Thais regardless of political bent. Right?

Unfortunetely, this is just a dream i guess... i doubt anybody of that side has to open its books to the public!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I saw a report as follows?:

- Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the PDRC:

Assets: Bt210 million, including Bt3.57 million bank deposits, Bt177 million worth of land and Bt26 million worth of motor vehicles.

Liabilities: Bt323 million in debt, mostly in bank loans.

+1 Yes from the Bank of Islam in Thailand - As a DPM he was able to get that loan also BOS only lends to Muslim companies in general.

This is really funny actually but they forget to audit his children and wife and whole Thaugsuban clan in Surat Thani. Not for noting they call the Thaugsuban clan the god father family. The Thaugsuban family are as powerful as the Shinawatra's in Chiang Mai.

Then again may be more powerful. Suthep is still in the country?

Further to "bleeding the country dry"

Yinglucks assets in 2011, 541 Million baht.

In 2014, 574.3 million baht, an increase of 33.3 Million baht

An approximate increase of 6% total over 3 years.

Bear with me here, I'm going for the simplistic approach as economics is not my strong point

So allowing for the interest rate over that period ( the website http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/interest-rate, quotes an average of 2.48% between 2000 and 2014)

thailand-interest-rate.png?s=btrr1day&d1

it doesn't look as though she was "emptying the treasury" does it?

As I said, Economics is not my strong point so if there's anything amiss I'm sure someone will tell me, I'm willing to learn.

Mr T was a problem but never the problemwhistling.gif

Poor old Charlem, a career of corruption and only 171 million to show for it. Even young Akanat who is barely out of diapers is nearly ahead of him.

This is merely what is reported. It represents a fraction of their wealth in most cases. Chalerm? Ten times that figure. He has been a thief for decades. As for the Yingbat?

Spidermike007

• Like 2

you see this is why I refuse to give to "Poor countries" because they are all like this. Corrupt officials like this enjoying their London homes and countless overseas trips etc etc. I know this is the hard bit but unless you have serious regime change its just gonna stay the same and the poor will just get poorer. When you give money its like those at the top say "Thanks, you see we don't need to give because farang will help the poor and we can continue the way we have always been".

Does anybody believe for one second, that these corporations pay for contracts with 100 million baht in cash? That explanation was only believed by a dozen 6 year olds.

Spidermike007