Abandoned Bangkok mall's bizarre basement aquarium to be investigated

webfact

Abandoned mall's bizarre basement aquarium to be investigated
By Coconuts Bangkok

fishpond.jpg?itok=U0GiuePn
Bangkok Fishbowl. Photo: Kajornsak Intarapong

BANGKOK: -- One of Bangkok’s unofficial bizarre attractions could be off-limits soon because it’s also totally unsafe.

City officials will inspect the “aquarium” in an abandoned shopping mall near Khao San Road for safety issues as it has attracted visitors to see the exotic, natural fish pond in its basement.

Sitting at the corner of Banglamphu intersection, the four-story “New World” building is now home to thousands of aquatic friends after locals released some fish into its flooded basement around 10 years ago, hoping the fish would eat the mosquito larvae breeding in the water.

The Department of Public Works today will inspect if the building is safe to enter. If not, the use of the building will be officially prohibited. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/30/abandoned-malls-bizarre-basement-aquarium-be-investigated

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-30

I used to enjoy the food court in the New World. Nice views and a refuge from the heat and hustle and bustle of Banglampo. Its been closed for a long time but I can't remember why? Did they illegally add extra floors? Or was that the shop nearby that set on fire with fatalities?

• Like 1

I used to enjoy the food court in the New World. Nice views and a refuge from the heat and hustle and bustle of Banglampo. Its been closed for a long time but I can't remember why? Did they illegally add extra floors? Or was that the shop nearby that set on fire with fatalities?

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/19/bangkok-fishbowl-exotic-species-swim-free-abandoned-mall

• Like 1

Why not tear it down? Along with all the other derelict abandon buildings in the city?

This building has a tragic history. It was condemned early after construction some 15-20 years ago I think. About 13 years ago the deconstruction began and the upper floor collapsed killing a worker. Since that time it has once again remained as a dangerous and poignant sentinel.

How many times over the years have we seen this? Are the building owners on yaba or some other exotic drug? They get a permit to build, they conspire with the construction company and the engineers to add extra floors and then they get caught!

If they charged the owner and the construction company including the engineer or clerk of works with the cost of rectification perhaps this sort of thing would slow down.........?

You'll notice that I didn't include the City building Inspectors! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

BANGKOK
New World Mall 'fishpond' sealed off

30237443-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Members of the public are no longer allowed to feed fish at the deserted New World Mall, as the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has ordered the area sealed pending an inspection to see if the structure is safe and should be demolished.

This move followed pictures circulated on social media showing people feeding fish in a 500square metre pond created by rainwater pouring in through a gaping hole in the roof after the building's illegally built fifth to 11th floors were torn down. People living nearby then reportedly released fish in 2003 to eradicate mosquito larvae and the "pond" became an attraction of sorts.

Phra Nakhon District Office director assistant Pramern Krairos yesterday inspected the fourstorey building that was closed in 1997. He said a more detailed inspection would take about a month, during which time officials would test the water in the area and have it sprayed with mosquito repellent. The city would then ask the building owner if he still wants the "pond", and if not he would need to pump out the water, relocate the fish and fix the roof in order to prevent the problem from recurring, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/New-World-Mall-fishpond-sealed-off-30237443.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-30

so they added 6 floors with no permits/approval and then had to tear them down. You would think that the local govt people would have realized what they were doing soon as they started but obviously brown envelopes had changed hands at some stage, Have to seriously wonder at how these govt agencies work with so many illegal buildings/resorts being built all over Thailand yet no one seems to know about them until years later, corruption is simply too rife here, really is mind boggling.

• Like 2

Why not tear it down? Along with all the other derelict abandon buildings in the city?

Don't call them derelict...it's just they haven't been painted since construction (with no plans to paint)....and black mold can build up quite a bit after a decade or so. The concept of periodic painting is not a concept many Thais embrace.

I am not Thai. However, I don't embrace the concept of painting much either. My race, the human race.Though TV comments are often so racist it is laughable reading them. Though sympathetic to how the haters must be suffering and drowning in their grief and wrong doings....misguided lives and conceptualisations. I too was once very lost. Read a book. Things of this nature (the Mall) are common worldwide. We're building this world. Push, pull or get out of the way. Have nice day.

Don't call them derelict...it's just they haven't been painted since construction (with no plans to paint)....and black mold can build up quite a bit after a decade or so. The concept of periodic painting is not a concept many Thais embrace.

I am not Thai. However, I don't embrace the concept of painting much either. My race, the human race.Though TV comments are often so racist it is laughable reading them. Though sympathetic to how the haters must be suffering and drowning in their grief and wrong doings....misguided lives and conceptualisations. I too was once very lost. Read a book. Things of this nature (the Mall) are common worldwide. We're building this world. Push, pull or get out of the way. Have nice day.

Actually Pib hits the nail right on the head with his comment.

"The whole of Asia needs a coat of paint", a line from City of ghosts by James Caan's character.

People build apartments, houses etc and then forget to repaint after a few years. Not everyone, not all, but too many. Maintenance is a cost, not an asset according to some people. Travel around Bangkok and see how many once white buildings are still sadly wearing their birthday coat of paint under the grime,slime and scars of time.

This mall may well be a common sight world wide, but it is a sad comment on our society when construction can be started and left unfinished as owners decide to walk away and abandon their projects. The difference is, in other societies improvements, or demolition would be ordered at the expense of the landowner.

• Like 2

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/19/bangkok-fishbowl-exotic-species-swim-free-abandoned-mall

55555,added 7!!!! floors without anybody noticing.

Yes, they illegally added floors and the building became unsafe.

It is a good thing that the fish are there as there is no roof and the place would otherwise be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Edited by rametindallas

It is a good thing that the fish are there as there is no roof and the place would otherwise be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

I seem to remember a shoe shop burning down across the road from the New World Dept store. Some workers who slept in the floors above died. It seems that the low rise shops nearby all added a floor or two illegally and it's only noticed by the authority's if it burns down or falls down.

I seem to remember a shoe shop burning down across the road from the New World Dept store. Some workers who slept in the floors above died. It seems that the low rise shops nearby all added a floor or two illegally and it's only noticed by the authority's if it burns down or falls down.

I want to be reincarnated as a building inspector in Bangkok! smile.png

Heard about this a while back, and went to check.

Couldn't figure how to get in until some kid showed me the way.

Weren't too many people, just a couple fishing, but was indeed full of fish.

No idea if they were exotic or not, but some weren't the ones that usually end on my plate.

Pity they don't keep it as a quaint attraction.