Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

Hi, I've been here for 7 months and every month did a border run to Cambodia or Myanmar to get another 30 day stamp. Just a couple days ago went to Cambodia to get a stamp and they only gave me 7 days. I'm American and not near the age of 50. What are my options to stay longer in Thailand? Do I go to Loas for a Double Entry Visa? Or do I fly out of country for a few days and return? How many days would I have to stay out of country and can I come back to get an entrance stamp again for 30 days? Or do I need to always get a visa now? Confusing so hope to get the real skinny from you guys. Thanks

There are lots of people with the same problem. There are several ongoing topics about this.

You will need to go out and get a tourist visa. But you may be questioned when you return about you are doing here and be prepared to prove you are not working here. It would be wise to have 20k baht to show when you return from getting the visa.

I am going to try to make a go for Loas then to see if I can get a double entry visa. I am retired and don't work here. I have money in the bank and a pension. I will bring 20K just in case. Or maybe it might be better to fly out of country for a while and return? Just wondering for how many days I should be gone or does it matter? Thanks

If you are 50 or over you should apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. If you have 800k baht in the bank or an income of 65 baht or a combination of the 2 to reach 800k baht. If this the case you should apply for a single entry non-o visa when you to Laos instead of a tourist visa.

I am not 50, but will apply for the single entry non-o visa then. Thanks

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't just hand these out to anyone.

Under what criteria will you apply for this non-o visa ?

Criteria would be a retired (with pension) independant traveling man with a desire to stay in Thailand a little while longer. I meet the income requirement. If I don't get approved, then off to another country. Just asking what would be my options now to stay here a bit more since they've stopped doing the border stamps. Thanks

understanding the (harsh for some) basics would help:

- either you are retired (>50) and have proof of funds

- or you are under 50 and do have a job (work permit) or invest in Thailand

- or you go for an Elite Card visa (costing 1 million THB+, there will also be more scrutiny in the future, I am sure, but with the money involved that should still be an option, maybe if the funds are there...)

Each plan to get a visa for long-term stay will ALWAYS come back to one of the above (forget the ED thing, thats not gonna be an option soon either...). So, answer what applies to you based on the above first.

There is simply no "stay on the cheap side" option while staying long term in Thailand any more. Thats is over with "visa runs" and "back-to-back" tourist visas very obviously now having been taken out of the picture.

Edited by TTom911

- or you go for an Elite Card visa (costing 1 million THB+, there will also be more scrutiny in the future, I am sure, but with the money involved that should still be an option, maybe if the funds are there...)

There is simply no "stay on the cheap side" option while staying long term in Thailand any more. Thats is over with "visa runs" and "back-to-back" tourist visas very obviously now having been taken out of the picture.

- Not 50

- Under 50 - don't have a job here and not interested in investing in Thailand

- Elite Card maybe if I wanted or just go to another country and come back in a month during my travels.

- Or wait till I turn 50 in decade and come back to do the retirement thing.

Things seem to change more with the visa rules here than any other country I've been to. I guess they don't like us spending our money here. I will try the visa in Loas and if not, go on to another country where they like foreigners to come and spend money.

Each plan to get a visa for long-term stay will ALWAYS come back to one of the above (forget the ED thing, thats not gonna be an option soon either...). So, answer what applies to you based on the above first.

Small correction, Thai Elite card is 500,000 for 5 years or 2Million for 20.

• Like 1

- Not 50

- Elite Card maybe if I wanted or just go to another country and come back in a month during my travels.

Things seem to change more with the visa rules here than any other country I've been to. I guess they don't like us spending our money here. I will try the visa in Loas and if not, go on to another country where they like foreigners to come and spend money.

I understand your frustration personally, but immigration is a tough one EVERYWHERE int the world. There is hardly a place worth living on earth where people can just walk in and out as they please. We both know that. Try to "just decide to stay in the US for a while", or in Europe for that matter... Would be IMPOSSIBLE...

Thailand just applies the same rules as any other country. And these rules were in place since ever... just no one cared in the past... and THAT did change now indeed...

I love how everyone always says i guess they dont want me to spend money.

Most expats are going to spend less in a month than a tourist.

Tourist then go home. Thailand does not want you using them for a cheap crash pad.

Go to Cambodia for that.

- Not 50

I understand your frustration personally, but immigration is a tough one EVERYWHERE int the world. There is hardly a place worth living on earth where people can just walk in and out as they please. We both know that. Try to "just decide to stay in the US for a while", or in Europe for that matter... Would be IMPOSSIBLE...

Thailand just applies the same rules as any other country. And these rules were in place since ever... just no one cared in the past... and THAT did change now indeed...

I am American so no problems staying there. And I've been in all sorts of places in Europe with no issues. Was just in the UK for 6 months because they allow US passport holders to stay for 180 days.

• Like 1

I love how everyone always says i guess they dont want me to spend money.

Most expats are going to spend less in a month than a tourist.

Tourist then go home. Thailand does not want you using them for a cheap crash pad.

Go to Cambodia for that.

I was in the Philippines for 18 months and had no issues staying there. Some of us travel on a permanent basis so where ever we find a place to go is consider our crash pad. Thailand still has the 30 day stamp upon arrival so it will be on my travel list from time to time. If I get a single or double visa in Loas good, If not, then more time in another place. No biggy. Just haven't seen all I want to see in Thailand yet, but might have to come back for that at a later date.

- Not 50

I am American so no problems staying there. And I've been in all sorts of places in Europe with no issues. Was just in the UK for 6 months because they allow US passport holders to stay for 180 days.

I understand what you are saying. I also travelled the world for decades. But this "like hopping on and off a bus" world travelling we got used to only works between countries with strong economic ties, not if you step out of Europe/US territory. It's what developed in Europe and between Europe and the US over decades. Once you step out of that cozy bubble then you realise how serious the visa and immigration issue is. You can talk with your bank if you have an issue with your mortgage or credit card payments and have a chance to work something out. But there is ALMOST NO CHANCE to "discuss" anything with any immigration officer on the planet. That is something to be taken VERY seriously.

There are lots of people with the same problem. There are several ongoing topics about this.

You will need to go out and get a tourist visa. But you may be questioned when you return about you are doing here and be prepared to prove you are not working here. It would be wise to have 20k baht to show when you return from getting the visa.

I am going to try to make a go for Loas then to see if I can get a double entry visa. I am retired and don't work here. I have money in the bank and a pension. I will bring 20K just in case. Or maybe it might be better to fly out of country for a while and return? Just wondering for how many days I should be gone or does it matter? Thanks

If you are 50 or over you should apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. If you have 800k baht in the bank or an income of 65 baht or a combination of the 2 to reach 800k baht. If this the case you should apply for a single entry non-o visa when you to Laos instead of a tourist visa.

Getting the tourist visa is you only choice since you are not old enough to get the non-o visa.

If you plan on staying here and have the funds available the 500k baht elite card would be the best option. See Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card for info.

• Like 1

Getting the tourist visa is you only choice since you are not old enough to get the non-o visa.

If you plan on staying here and have the funds available the 500k baht elite card would be the best option. See Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card for info.

Sound advice thanks. And it's 500K cheaper than originally thought for the Elite Card. I will consider it. Thanks

- Not 50

I understand what you are saying. I also travelled the world for decades. But this "like hopping on and off a bus" world travelling we got used to only works between countries with strong economic ties, not if you step out of Europe/US territory. It's what developed in Europe and between Europe and the US over decades. Once you step out of that cozy bubble then you realise how serious the visa and immigration issue is. You can talk with your bank if you have an issue with your mortgage or credit card payments and have a chance to work something out. But there is ALMOST NO CHANCE to "discuss" anything with any immigration officer on the planet. That is something to be taken VERY seriously.

I've travelled the world all my life and some countries are still easy to stay in and some that were easy aren't anymore. I've been to pretty much every country and this is my second time in Thailand. Last time it was for only 6 months and just did the border runs. This time it's been nearly 8 months and just now got the 7 days pass at the border because of the recent changes. Changes happen and yes we can't run what the immigration officials decide. We just have to roll with the punches. Good thing there are still some countries that take on visitors for longer periods in Asia. =) Edited by Maestro
fixed formatting

What did it say on 7 day pass? Was this issued at land border? Did you have to pay for it. ? Thailand certainly swimming against the tide. Malaysia & Singapore offers 90 days at land border free. Philippines just pay without leaving country for 18 months & welcome back same day from Brunei flight.

What did it say on 7 day pass? Was this issued at land border? Did you have to pay for it. ? Thailand certainly swimming against the tide. Malaysia & Singapore offers 90 days at land border free. Philippines just pay without leaving country for 18 months & welcome back same day from Brunei flight.

Just got a double entry at Loas...no issues. Been to all those places. Thanks

Criteria would be a retired (with pension) independant traveling man with a desire to stay in Thailand a little while longer. I meet the income requirement. If I don't get approved, then off to another country. Just asking what would be my options now to stay here a bit more since they've stopped doing the border stamps. Thanks

There doesn't exist a non O visa like that for people younger than 50. It will be difficult to apply for something that doesn't exist ;)

• Like 1

There doesn't exist a non O visa like that for people younger than 50. It will be difficult to apply for something that doesn't exist wink.png

Already got my double entry so no need for you all to chime in. Thanks

There doesn't exist a non O visa like that for people younger than 50. It will be difficult to apply for something that doesn't exist wink.png

Already got my double entry so no need for you all to chime in. Thanks

You got a double entry non imm.. Thats novel wink.png

On request, some Thai consulates issue a non-O visa valid for two entries if the applicant qualifies for the non-O. It costs double of the single entry visa, less than the multiple-entry visa.

- Not 50

You will be relieved to know in the Philippines it's all about the money 555. Pay visa fee, visa issued without issue. No need to prove you are a bona fide tourist.

• 4 weeks later...

why tight up the visa rules? it will just make more people overstay their visas..

I prefer not question "why" in my host country. I obey the existing laws, fly low and enjoy my life.

Keep It Simple.

Look folks:

I will say this once more and hope it is the last time needed:

None of us knows how the new crack-down will be enforced until it begins in earnest on August 12th.

The most valuable information will be the trip reports of persons leaving/entering the country from now until after that time.

Please desist and refrain from useless opinion,speculation, trolling and arguing unless you have a first-hand trip report to post that is relevant to the heading of this OP.

'NUFF SAID

Sage advice my friend.

Let us hope the cotton is removed from ears that don't hear, sunglasses removed from eyes that can't see and fingers laid to rest that can't stop irrational typing.

Edited by Benmart

Oddly enough the information posted at the website of the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. in the section about Non Immigrant 'O' visa not a word is posted about age as a requirement... Amazing... I do not believe that this means that people of most any age can apply for a Non Imm. Category O visa and get it ... but it sure does make one wonder... I know that non imm 'o' visas are use for marriage to a Thai -- at most any age ... but this kind of wording does make one wonder -- what if?

Oddly enough the information posted at the website of the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. in the section about Non Immigrant 'O' visa not a word is posted about age as a requirement... Amazing... I do not believe that this means that people of most any age can apply for a Non Imm. Category O visa and get it ... but it sure does make one wonder... I know that non imm 'o' visas are use for marriage to a Thai -- at most any age ... but this kind of wording does make one wonder -- what if?

That is because non-imm 'O' (Ordinary) is given for many reasons, Examples are retirement, marriage, Thai relatives, but even volunteering, court case, or any other reason the Embassy or consulate deems appropriate.

That is because non-imm 'O' (Ordinary) is given for many reasons, Examples are retirement, marriage, Thai relatives, but even volunteering, court case, or any other reason the Embassy or consulate deems appropriate.

Well - the 'O' does not mean or stand for 'Ordinary' is means 'Other' - never the less ... since there is not an age requirement stated - then one theoretically could apply if under age 50 for most any reason. But of course - not likely that person would be approved... It would be interesting if people did line up to apply and see what happens...

Allowance for an 'O' visa for those under age 50 would solve the problem for people being in Thailand while waiting for a WP as a teacher to be approved - waiting - but not working ... It would be easy to do -- just a stroke of a pen by someone in the current government hierarchy... Let's see an 'O' based on Teaching with allowance for Extension of Stay based on Work Permit for Teaching... There - see I have solved one main problem ... with only a little change in interpretation of Thai law.