Longer holiday proposed for celebration of Queen's birthday on August 12

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind reminder

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) Do not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban. This rule also applies to links to external websites.

Forum rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

/Admin

The longer holiday will help to boost tourism as well, according to TAT.

Yup, sure will. Lets close the entertainment venues for 1 week instead of 1 day.

Throw in an election the following week and Bobs yer dads brother.

While I'm all for it as it makes total sense IMO, 'The longer holiday will help to boost tourism as well, according to TAT' ... really??? I can just see the hoards jetting in for that extra day. NOT!

It is more likely referring to "internal tourism"... will we go to your Mother's again, or should we go to Pattaya?? type tourism, for which Thais are eternally hungry!!

• Like 1

Only in Thailand are more holidays proposed in order to boost the economy. Why not take the whole year off, that should do wonders for tourism. Then all Thais can go on holiday the entire year, yaybiggrin.png

Holiday or not. Holidays should be planned years in advance, not a month before. Sometimes even just days before. Employers and employees generally need time to plan holidays.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

While I'm all for it as it makes total sense IMO, 'The longer holiday will help to boost tourism as well, according to TAT' ... really??? I can just see the hoards jetting in for that extra day. NOT!

You're forgetting internal Thai tourism. Most tourists in Thailand are in fact Thai. The article mentions 'the country effectively getting a four day weekend'. Families will gather and, for example, those in Bangkok, a trip to Pattaya, Jomtien or Cha-Am beaches for a night or two means a larger spend on tourism. Tourism is not all about the farang purse.

Which means more carnage on the roads. Just means i have to leave the car in the garage and stay at home for four days.

• Like 1

He's talking about boosting local tourism!! The local tourist industry is massive. If five million Thais go away for a long weekend or just travel home the earning potential is huge....Your comment is another example of Western imperialistic attitudes. Its not just about us you know!!

• Like 1

Troll post removed:

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

@Suradit & BangkokGastronaut

While it's obvious that any body on a trip would be classed as a 'tourist', I know full well from experience how well the 'Bangkokians' and other Thai's spend when away from home ... 4-8 up in a hotel room ... BBQ packed and food and drink bought in bulk prior to their trip. So although tourism is not reserved for farangs only, as so nicely put by the lovely, farang-friendly Suradit (notice the sarcasm) I would say that the revenue from Thais is hardly enough to boost tourism as a whole like the statement from TAT implies, more like wishful thinking.

• Like 2

JoePai post # 3

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost ................

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Do you work under those conditions for that salary?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

The definition of "work" or "working" seems not the same in LOS...as in the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Only in Thailand are more holidays proposed in order to boost the economy. Why not take the whole year off, that should do wonders for tourism. Then all Thais can go on holiday the entire year, yaybiggrin.png

Holiday or not. Holidays should be planned years in advance, not a month before. Sometimes even just days before. Employers and employees generally need time to plan holidays.

"Only in Thailand are more holidays proposed in order to boost the economy."

...to celebrate Her Majesty the Queen's 82nd birthday anniversary.

and

TAT proposed Aug 11 as an extra public holiday to give the declining tourism industry affected by martial laws and coups some help

I don't recall claims that it would boost the economy generally.

Actually they said it was meant to boost tourism. That segment of the economy has probably been hit hardest by all that's been going on recently and it does employ a lot of people who are the most vulnerable to loss of employment or reduced working hours. Try to at least start off with correct claims before going off on flights of Thai bashing fantasies.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

JoePai post # 3

Oh dear more holidays - do they not think of the work lost ................

So you think working a 10-12 hour day for 6 days a week for around 30 baht an hour is a breeze do you?

Do you work under those conditions for that salary?

Perhaps in reality the average Thai employee might just like or in fact deserve a bit more recovery time.

By this logic, why don't you give them more holidays, says a whole month holiday just because they

work hard, they are the only people/nation on earth that work hard right?

also, what about the lose of productivity for more than six months of thousand and thousands of the

not working because of the many protests and the marches and the sit ins....

the lose of domestic products for this country must be huge, no body knows really, it's a secrete,

yeah, they need more holidays like I need more holes in my bottom....

• Like 1