Phuket airport Immigration "schemes"

lowprofile

<snip>

Anyone like to take a photo of this fast-track line?

<snip>

Exactly, Simon. I know it's risky, but maybe a smart phone in your shirt pocket recording a video showing you paying money to use the fast lane, and later uploaded to Youtube, would kill this scam off for good - and make a few officials unemployed.

It probably wouldn't even need to be a video clip of the paying of the 100 baht.

The fact there are counters, with no one queing at them, and a tout walking along the free line saying for 100 baht you can go to that counter with no one queing, would be enough to prove it's happening.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we know who to call... smile.png

Coup leaders invite corruption complaints from Phuket

1_20147720350367_nVfwYIMVQJxaEgRcjptKRdb

The island’s representatives of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) are inviting residents and tourists to file anonymous complaints of suspected corruption...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Coup-leaders-invite-corruption-complaints-Phuket/31090

076-680054-5
Fax to 076-210405

Email to [email protected]

Phuket NACC’s Facebook page here

C'mon lads, get those videos posted!

Is a shameful disgrace to treat visitors who bring income into the country in this way, the day will come when they rue their selfish childlike actions. The fee does not matter, it is the principle, I'll take the free line in no rush, 30 mins avg before bags anyhow, the 50 Bhat can go towards the overpriced Taxi or off set the 100Bhat surcharge for the Taxi meter... LOS ehh?

Airport to Rawai 800 baht, that is not expensive its cheap, depends on what you are used to paying

i suppose, who cares what a taxi costs in Bangkok or New Delhi, i do not want to live there as most

regular posters on this forum dont, easy to save money on taxi fares shift to Ba\ngkok and put up with

the pollution

Ah good, the boys from Third Naval Command have had a word with Immigration at the airport, now have a look at the bent taxi pricing and none use of meters with trumped up surcharges. Your right ned, 800B Aiport to Rawai is good, but when was the last time you paid that price from the airport?

Don't know what Bangkok or New Delhi have to do with the price of fish mate, I just want to take a taxi in Phuket from the airport at a fair price not over inflated, if your daft enough to accept what your charged then thats your prerogative. A taxi meter is, well should have a meter (clue is in the title) no surcharge, no BS!

800 bahtto rawai about 4 months ago the last time we used the airport with a non metered taxi

easy price to get, just ask for a discount or use another taxi if they will not give you one

You can also pre book for the same price on the Internet and have a driver waiting for you thumbsup.gif

Surely, they are aware of the corruption involved with transport on Phuket, particularly for tourists moving between the beaches, and the nightlife, on the coast road.

Pulling down a few taxi salas does not address the influential people's monopoly, and their pricing structure, that gives them a stranglehold on transport here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Perhaps someone could ask immigration for a receipt for their 100 baht payment?

Anyone like to take a photo of this fast-track line? Apparently, the head of immigration at the airport is unaware of it cheesy.gif

I'll check the weather forecast for this evening:

Dry ==> no fast-track line,

Rainy ==> fast-track line

After bedtime for the HoI, army and police ==> fast-track line

cheesy.gif

(Sorry, but this scam is such a blatant p*ss-take...)

Why dont you take the photo's you seem to spend a lot of time at the airport and know

whats going on before other people thumbsup.gif

Perhaps someone could ask immigration for a receipt for their 100 baht payment?

Anyone like to take a photo of this fast-track line? Apparently, the head of immigration at the airport is unaware of it cheesy.gif

I'll check the weather forecast for this evening:

Dry ==> no fast-track line,

Rainy ==> fast-track line

After bedtime for the HoI, army and police ==> fast-track line

cheesy.gif

(Sorry, but this scam is such a blatant p*ss-take...)

Why dont you take the photo's you seem to spend a lot of time at the airport and know

whats going on before other people thumbsup.gif

Because he is on the wrong side of Immigration and airport security to take the photo.

Because he is on the wrong side of Immigration and airport security to take the photo.

Correct. Strangely enough, despite working on/off as a TPV at the airport since 2006, I have never managed to persuade the airport authorities to give me an airport security pass - I can't even get to the TPV 'booth' by the luggage collection.....

<snip>

<snip>

Exactly, Simon. I know it's risky, but maybe a smart phone in your shirt pocket recording a video showing you paying money to use the fast lane, and later uploaded to Youtube, would kill this scam off for good - and make a few officials unemployed.

It probably wouldn't even need to be a video clip of the paying of the 100 baht.

The fact there are counters, with no one queing at them, and a tout walking along the free line saying for 100 baht you can go to that counter with no one queing, would be enough to prove it's happening.

Ha yes quite true.

However the last thing I would want to do is whilst waiting for immigration to let me into the country is get caught trying to take photos of them doing something that is incorrect (especially as cameras are not permitted in immigration halls anyhow as far as I am aware). I hate going through immigration as it is let alone making it worse with secret cameras.

The military know whats going on and where it is going on

Its softly softly at present, warning people they do know, they cannot just

sack all the corrupt officials only warn them at present, otherwise there

would be a shortage of people to run the country

Bar stool barristers like to think they know better how to run a country but

really do not

<snip>

<snip>

Ha yes quite true.

However the last thing I would want to do is whilst waiting for immigration to let me into the country is get caught trying to take photos of them doing something that is incorrect (especially as cameras are not permitted in immigration halls anyhow as far as I am aware). I hate going through immigration as it is let alone making it worse with secret cameras.

I think you are correct, the immigration area is a restricted area for photography, however, what do you see most people do in the Immigration que - turn their phone on to check their messages or inform people they have arrived.

They could easily hold the phone down, but point the camera up a little, and just make it look like they are sending a text, when really, they are filming.

The military know whats going on and where it is going on

Its softly softly at present, warning people they do know, they cannot just

sack all the corrupt officials only warn them at present, otherwise there

would be a shortage of people to run the country

Bar stool barristers like to think they know better how to run a country but

really do not

"otherwise there would be a shortage of people to run the country" - there already is a shortage of people to run the country.

Currently, they haven't got anyone, democratically elected, doing the job. cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

<snip>

or stream it live to an online storage site, in case they make you delete it.

Yeah, there is a big sign above the lines saying warning no photographs to be taken,

ned,

don't dispute the pre-booked cabs etc, but right now Airport to Patong is 800 - 1000B by Limo Taxi (depending which one you ask) and by meter taxi is 640B on the meter but with 100B surcharge = 740 so better off in Limo cab. I don't check fares to Rawai but I reckon they be asking min 1000B now from airport, maybe someone can confirm current rates from airport (Simon?)

Is unbelievable the front some Thai people have in blatant scamming then denial, but as been said tis the way in thailand,.. The greed is just a shame for this beautiful place and really spoils the countries rep

don't check fares to Rawai but I reckon they be asking min 1000B now from airport

Yes, that's a typical daytime rate. At night, it is whatever they can scam out of you. 2 customers just arrived and paid 400 baht for a 3 minute trip from the airport, (OK, they were French, but that really is taking la piste...)

don't check fares to Rawai but I reckon they be asking min 1000B now from airport

Yes, that's a typical daytime rate. At night, it is whatever they can scam out of you. 2 customers just arrived and paid 400 baht for a 3 minute trip from the airport, (OK, they were French, but that really is taking la piste...)

We arrived back at Phuket in Songkran in the evening on our last trip which is a very busy

time at the airport, everyone has quoting a 1000 baht to rawai, when i said no way would i pay that amount

and started walking towards the metered taxis the price was instantly dropped to 800 baht

i have found the drivers will always negotiate on their asking price, if you do not ask for a discount its your own fault

you pay to much

I booked a hotel for this upcoming high season. Upon confirmation, I was also sent this message:

Fast Track Service

In conjunction with a private company, our hotel offers guests who arrive or depart on direct flights to and from Phuket (not via Bangkok) a fast-track immigration and luggage assistance service. The “Coral Executive Lounge” staff greet guests before immigration & lead them through a priority line assisting with their luggage before introducing them to the driver and airport staff. When more than one international flight arrive at the same time, the immigration queues can be very long at Phuket Airport. This arrival service costs Baht 650 net per guest on arrival and Baht 750 net on departure and provides access to the Coral Lounge as well. VIP departure service is also available for Baht 950 and offers additional assistance with luggage from drop off at the airport, through luggage x-ray and check in with the airlines. Children below 2 years old are free of charge. Please advise us if you would like to book this service upon your arrival or departure to and from Phuket.

I booked a hotel for this upcoming high season. Upon confirmation, I was also sent this message:...

Yes, that is the rather-expensive Fast-Track service offered by one of the VIP lounges at the airport. It's an official service which probably has few customers!

I booked a hotel for this upcoming high season. Upon confirmation, I was also sent this message:...

Yes, that is the rather-expensive Fast-Track service offered by one of the VIP lounges at the airport. It's an official service which probably has few customers!

I'd pay it to cruise straight through that crap airport.

• Like 1

I picked up two family members from the airport last night. Their flight, and two other international flights, arrived around 10:30pm. It took them 45mins to get through immigration, and twice, they were spoken to by a Thai man who told them they could pay 100THB for the express line. They also mentioned only 3 immigration booths were open.

Someone needs to get this recorded on their phone while it stays in the pocket, so the "officers" are unsuspecting.

Didn't the General or someone from the Army say they were going to keep an eye on these guys and make sure that all immigration booths would be open when multiple flights arrived? Sounds like immigration didn't get that memo.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can use it with your Priority pass card and some others.

Update: took me 45min to pass through immigration last night. A immigration guy is still telling ppl in the queue about using the express lane for 100baht per person. Signs are up on the unmanned counters " out of order". Getting more intelligent by the day.

Update: took me 45min to pass through immigration last night. A immigration guy is still telling ppl in the queue about using the express lane for 100baht per person. Signs are up on the unmanned counters " out of order". Getting more intelligent by the day.

Are those who pay their 100baht and availing themselves getting the same passport scrutiny others are getting these days? Or is this the solution if you're one of those with lots of back-to-back stamps and visas in your passport?

Are those who pay their 100baht and availing themselves getting the same passport scrutiny others are getting these days? Or is this the solution if you're one of those with lots of back-to-back stamps and visas in your passport?

The same scrutiny....would be a pretty cheap way to get through immigration with dodgy back to back tourist visas.

The same scrutiny....would be a pretty cheap way to get through immigration with dodgy back to back tourist visas.

Thanks. Agreed - it would be. So you're one of those who's seen & experienced this firsthand at the Phuket airport then? How can they be working people through so fast if exercising this kind of scrutiny?

In the below thread, Immigration Officials said flying into Thailand basically circumvents "the same scutiny" as overland boarder crossings. Go figure. biggrin.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

"Immigration officials then told the individuals that they would need to take a bus to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, and fly in to Thailand instead."

Edited by NamKangMan