Are Thais not interested in children's school progress?

graemeaylward

I am intrigued as to why the school that my 13 yr old stepdaughter attends, appears to have no formal or informal way of informing parents on the progress or educational standards achieved by pupils I.e. by reports, parents' evenings etc. When I suggested that we go to the school to speak with the head teacher about this, my partner told me that it was not the done thing! Consequently we have no idea whether she is doing well, badly, completes her homework satisfactorily, behaves well, which subjects she needs extra help with etc. No wonder the standards here are so poor!

Sent from my SM-N7502 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The vocational college my wife teaches at has parent days where the parents are told all about their child's progress. Things like failed drug tests or misbehaviour are brought up at the very last minute of the interview so that the parents go away with the bad news.

My feeling is that generally, progress is not the concern, final outcome is.

It's only the tiger mums that will press the kids to complete homework etc.

Yes. Thais are very good at the 'not done thing' way of thinking.

We take our brat to a private school in Buriram, four times a year, exam results are pinned up, so we can see what is going on. One thing I don't like is that if you don't pay extra for Chinese lessons you will automatically get lower marks for Chinese, but never mind.

The headmistress is very good and approachable, she seems to know all 400 pupils and she was able to tell us how how the brat is integrating into the school and class. I think you have to ask! We will go to talk to the class teacher some time soon.

I make no assumptions! Just asking the question why state schools appear to provide no information for parents. This appears to be acceptable for the parents of 3000 pupils who attend my daughter's school.

I wouldn't say that education in Thailand is something to brag about. But for me and many other Thai mothers that takes things seriously, we do fight for what we think is right for our kids. Since you asked "Are Thais not interested in children's school progress?" Well, I am.

• Like 1

OP, I have the same problem with my wife and her 2 kids.

I was asking her for a long time to go to the school and inquire about her kids progress.

The answer was, that if she does that the kids will be blacklisted by the teachers and they will start picking on them.

What happened at the end of the school year, both kids failed to pass 3 or 4 subjects and their results had to be "fixed".

Also one of the kids had problems with truancy, that we didn't know till the end of the year.

Then, I put my foot down, and obliged my wife to go every month and have a talk with the kids tutor.

Definitely, there was a vast improvement at their school behaviour and results.

Also a box of biscuits or sweets given to the tutor, helped the situation.

Now, if any of the kids, doesn't attend class or doesn't complete his homework, my wife has a telephone call from the said teacher, informing her.

I think the OP should look into moving the child to another school. Go out and look around at other schools in the area and ask people living nearby where they send their kids. Then check out the schools personally.

Our boy goes to a Thai school, not an international school, and we get daily reports. He even has a homework logbook that we have to tick off and sign to indicate that his daily material has been covered. He's in grade 1.

There is often quite a big difference among different government schools, even within he same amphur. I find that in general the more one pays for tuition the more one gets in terms of education. However, a parent or guardian really needs to get involved to make sure that the services paid for are being delivered.

As far as Thai people not caring about their kid's progress in school. I think the OP is mistaken. It depends entirely on the parents. Plenty do care, and plenty don't.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

I didn't pick any school as my step daughter already went there before I appeared on the scene! I am not " blaming" Thai people for anything, merely posing a question and commenting on one particular school.

as long as they learn the Kings special language and wai /bow and conform there is nothing more they need to know..................sad aint it.

The ones with the money I think youll find care a lot more and ship them overseas a s soon as they can for a real education

• Like 1

I visited a teacher friend last week. In his first grade class, at the very back, was a girl who could not completely fit herself into her desk.

Turned out she was 15.

She'd never attended school, and wanted to learn. Nice girl, good head on her shoulders. Also turned out she could read and write, not well, but maybe at the 4th grade level.

Did the school administer any tests to determine her level and place her appropriately?

No. The pathetic staff just stuck her in with a bunch of 6 year olds. I almost cried for her.

I didn't pick any school as my step daughter already went there before I appeared on the scene! I am not " blaming" Thai people for anything, merely posing a question and commenting on one particular school.

You are on the scene now and could pick a better school.

I make no assumptions! Just asking the question why state schools appear to provide no information for parents. This appears to be acceptable for the parents of 3000 pupils who attend my daughter's school.

What a load of crappola. You did make assumptions. READ YOUR OWN OP. You asked and answered your own question, which is to say you think Thai parents aren't interested in their children's progress. Your final statement was "No wonder the standards here are so poor!" Yes, that is an assumption.

What a load of crappola. You did make assumptions. READ YOUR OWN OP. You asked and answered your own question, which is to say you think Thai parents aren't interested in their children's progress. Your final statement was "No wonder the standards here are so poor!" Yes, that is an assumption.

Well what a helpful reply that was.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My experience seems to be a little different to that of the OP's. The schools my step kids went to had a parent/teachers meeting every term, and their (kids) school history records would come home with them, again at the end of each term, to be signed and returned. If anything un-toward happened while at school, we would be told almost immediately.

And this is up-country as you city folk like to call it....................wink.png

Modern educational theory and practice stresses the importance of parental involvement; a teacher can only do so much.

That concept is not grasped here, add the "losing face" issue and there you have it

OP, unless you have the means to send the child to an int school or a quality Thai private school, things won't change.

Do your best with her outside of school, good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, at least as helpful as yours. Just catching the guy in a lie. If you're going to bash on the Thais, at least be honest and admit that you are. His entire premise is that he's a great parent and all of the other Thai parents just don't care. Yea, right.

• Like 1

Yes, at least as helpful as yours. Just catching the guy in a lie. If you're going to bash on the Thais, at least be honest and admit that you are. His entire premise is that he's a great parent and all of the other Thai parents just don't care. Yea, right.

I believe that is his observation, not his bias as you are making it out to be

Many Thai parents do care, but unless the system changes, taking a western approach will not help, Thai parents know this, hence the op's assumption

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Mae Rim government high school,

Detailed report sent home at the end of each term, parents meeting each term, home visit by teacher each year.

Doisaket government junior school,

Same.

No payments made to either school, beyond books and uniforms.

You haven't said what sort of school, but from my experience all you claim is missing, happens in Thai government schools.

Is the mother hiding the reports from you for some reason? Is all I can think.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Thanks to all of you who have made helpful comments. In my innocence I thought that this site might provide me with some answers. However I am appalled by some of the vitriolic and downright rude comments made by a few of you.

For your information, I don't claim to be a great parent, nor do I want to criticise Thai people in general. My experience is based only on one secondary school in Khon Kaen. My partner is hiding nothing from me. I apologise if I have caused anyone offence, it was not intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why do most foreigners here always make assumption about Thais? My daughter is my priority and I take her education seriously even though she's in K1.

I have a very good relationship with her teachers at school and we work together to make sure that my daughter is happy and doing well.

What assumptions? It is a well known fact that the Thai educational system is abysmal. Without any inclination towards free thought or independent thinking. Another fact is check out the TES university world rankings you will not find 1 Thai university anywhere in the top 300. Another fact is that you will only find 1 Thai university in the top 100 for all of Asia (and it isn't in the top 50) It isn't an assumption the Thai public education system is crap. Which is what you would expect from a country that only has 6 years of compulsory education. No offense to you either sir but K1! How can you comment on the Thai education system when your daughter is in kindy. At that age they are hardly candidates for mensa. I would hope she is happy that is about a teachers only requirement in K1 besides sourcing non-toxic colours for finger painting. coffee1.gif

Thanks to all of you who have made helpful comments. In my innocence I thought that this site might provide me with some answers. However I am appalled by some of the vitriolic and downright rude comments made by a few of you.

For your information, I don't claim to be a great parent, nor do I want to criticise Thai people in general. My experience is based only on one secondary school in Khon Kaen. My partner is hiding nothing from me. I apologise if I have caused anyone offence, it was not intended.

When I were a lad, any bad reports I binned, any parents days where a bad report seemed likely my parents never heard about.

You've just bashed Thai schools, generally they aren't very good as educational establishments but the paperwork and meetings are usually spot on.

It really is more likely you are being misinformed than they aren't happening.

Nothing vitriolic or rude included or intended in my posts.

Why not go along to the school yourself and ask them about reports, parents meetings and home visits, you might be surprised by the answer.

I can 100% assure you Thai government schools make yearly home visits, they can claim money from the government as a result, and a Thai school never misses out on free money.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

my wife drops and picks up kids from school every day, so can talk to their teacher every day... This certainly helps... Of course they are still young. Although even in

This wasn't the case, the schools sends home fairly regular reports and homework sheet with assignments that parents need to sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to mention...

Thai students have won awards in many international competitions including scholarships and grants from UK, Aussie, Korea, Japan, USA, as well as robotics, computer, business and marketing awards'.

From yesterday's NATION(just by coincidence):

"With their idea of making waterproof messenger bags from discarded banners, Bagtastiq Student Company - comprising of teen entrepreneurs from Thailand - won the "JA Company of the Year" award, while the Kingdom's KU Space Student Company landed the "FedEx Access Award" honour in the fourth annual regional competition run by JA Asia Pacific."

Sure sure, all Thai education sux. But anyone espousing the great "western educational system" has missed the last thirty years of headlines. Cheating, bullying, drugs, sex scandals, gang violence, drop outs, teen pregnancy, binge drinking, and lowering of standards are all problems at even the most prestigious institutions.

From The Daily Telegraph:

The higher education minister is urging universities not to sacrifice standards in the recruitment of foreign students as six more top universities became embroiled in the enrollment scandal.

Now it can be disclosed that agents representing Exeter, Sheffield, Kent, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle universities all claimed that normal academic standards could be relaxed for Chinese applicants.

A university agent called iLongre in Shanghai offered a place for a Chinese student with three B grades to study economics at Exeter University. British students must have a minimum of two As and a B. The agent also told reporters that it was “easier” to apply in China.

So you see, the much vaunted western education isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not in 2014.

'nuff said

P.S. There are a huge number of posts on TV and other forums by people who can't figure out simple problems in currency exchange, retail discounts, utility bills, nor even count the days issued to them on various visas properly. One would have to assume they are the products of a glorious western education.

~

Edited by 'nuff said

Why do most foreigners here always make assumption about Thais? My daughter is my priority and I take her education seriously even though she's in K1.

I have a very good relationship with her teachers at school and we work together to make sure that my daughter is happy and doing well.

What assumptions? It is a well known fact that the Thai educational system is abysmal. Without any inclination towards free thought or independent thinking. Another fact is check out the TES university world rankings you will not find 1 Thai university anywhere in the top 300. Another fact is that you will only find 1 Thai university in the top 100 for all of Asia (and it isn't in the top 50) It isn't an assumption the Thai public education system is crap. Which is what you would expect from a country that only has 6 years of compulsory education. No offense to you either sir but K1! How can you comment on the Thai education system when your daughter is in kindy. At that age they are hardly candidates for mensa. I would hope she is happy that is about a teachers only requirement in K1 besides sourcing non-toxic colours for finger painting. coffee1.gif

Top universities in Asia. Mahidal #40 Chula #48 Chiang Mai #92

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/asian-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Wise man say always fact check Thai Visa posters wai2.gif

Sorry I googled TES but could not find anything.

Just to mention...

Thai students have won awards in many international competitions including scholarships and grants from UK, Aussie, Korea, Japan, USA, as well as robotics, computer, business and marketing awards'.

From yesterday's NATION(just by coincidence):

"With their idea of making waterproof messenger bags from discarded banners, Bagtastiq Student Company - comprising of teen entrepreneurs from Thailand - won the "JA Company of the Year" award, while the Kingdom's KU Space Student Company landed the "FedEx Access Award" honour in the fourth annual regional competition run by JA Asia Pacific."

Sure sure, all Thai education sux. But anyone espousing the great "western educational system" has missed the last thirty years of headlines. Cheating, bullying, drugs, sex scandals, gang violence, drop outs, teen pregnancy, binge drinking, and lowering of standards are all problems at even the most prestigious institutions.

From The Daily Telegraph:

The higher education minister is urging universities not to sacrifice standards in the recruitment of foreign students as six more top universities became embroiled in the enrollment scandal.

Now it can be disclosed that agents representing Exeter, Sheffield, Kent, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle universities all claimed that normal academic standards could be relaxed for Chinese applicants.

A university agent called iLongre in Shanghai offered a place for a Chinese student with three B grades to study economics at Exeter University. British students must have a minimum of two As and a B. The agent also told reporters that it was “easier” to apply in China.

So you see, the much vaunted western education isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not in 2014.

'nuff said

P.S. There are a huge number of posts on TV and other forums by people who can't figure out simple problems in currency exchange, retail discounts, utility bills, nor even count the days issued to them on various visas properly. One would have to assume they are the products of a glorious western education.

~

Say what you like, however the students mentioned did well "despite" the Thai educational system, not because of it.

Walk into an average 3rd grade classroom in Thailand and observe for an hour. Then go to an average one in UK, US, Australia etc. and do the same. The difference is astounding.

Anyone who defends the Thai public education system really doesn't know what they are talking about.

And, by the way, the worst university in said countries is going to be better than the best universities in Thailand. I know plenty of people that work at Mahidol, Chula etc. and the stories they tell are unbelievable.

My son attends a Private Thai school (not International) and I can assure you that he gets pushed - everyday he has homework and a book my wife needs to sign off on she has reviewed it , with regular reports coming back from the teacher on his progress in class.

My wife pushes him to get his darn homework done but like a typical 5 yr old boy, he hates homework! I still hate it and that was decades ago.

• Like 1

My son attends a Private Thai school (not International) and I can assure you that he gets pushed - everyday he has homework and a book my wife needs to sign off on she has reviewed it , with regular reports coming back from the teacher on his progress in class.

My wife pushes him to get his darn homework done but like a typical 5 yr old boy, he hates homework! I still hate it and that was decades ago.

Maybe therein lies the problem....a 5 yr old needing to do homework......ridiculous....but i have seen it with my kids as well when they were 4 yrs old....doing homework......crazy....