Visa agents cannot front for your annual retirement renewal.

Saan

I'll exclude the time I spend traveling to Chiangmai Land Road as it's a nice walk for me, but the actual time spent IN the agent's office has never been more than about 6-8 minutes, perhaps 10 if they are busy. But I don't figure it's the time saved. For me, it's the confidence knowing that all the 'T's' have been crossed and the 'i''s dotted. We've seen so many posts in these threads previously that talk about not having this or that, needing just one more item, etc., and having to return again to Immigration with it, etc. It's the freedom from concern that I'm paying for.

Not having to sit in a crowded room for several hours is just a bonus.

As far as the T's being crossed by using a visa agent, the reason I don't go to one is because the T's weren't crossed when I first tried the agent you use. I was given by them a list of documents I had to present when I applied for a non-O in Kuala Lumpur. Fortunately I did my own check and found the agents had omitted a document that was need. If I has followed their guideline I would have been whistling Dixie sans visa in KL.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DATELINE: PATTAYA

Did 1st 90 day address report and residency certificate in 17 minutes ( had to go get a 3rd photo - took extra 7 mins ) at Immigration Office. Round trip from home on scooter 22 mins. Need I say more? Had downloaded all the paperwork from the net and had it completed. Also had copy of lease and 90 days of rent receipts

FYI

EDIT: And EVERYONE was NICE and FRIENDLY to me. NEW photo showed me with long hair...OLD photos with short hair, the officer smiled, compared photos, had a short laugh with smile and processed the paperwork..

Edited by edwardflory

"Visa agents Thai Assist have told clients that they have to turn up in person at immigration for their annual retirement renewal. They say this requirement for personal appearance has been ordered by the NCPO".

Sigh. Every khakisilver lining has a cloud.

Luckily I did my retirement Visa two weeks ago curtsy of Assist Thai Visa.

Well worth the money to avoid the ZOO.

Seems like we have best part of One year for matters to return to our version of Normal.

john

The office in Chiangmai Land is very professional and a great service.

I know people who love the service (myself included) and I know and understand others who think we are crazy to even consider paying someone to avoid sitting in a queue and dealing with it ourselves.

It's horses for courses as we say in the UK.. it does not suit everyone, but for those of us who are happy to pay, it's an amazing service.

What is the cost of these services for 90 day report and extension renewal. I'd much rather have an agency do it for me.

90 days no cost, 3 residency certificates ( car. scooter, Immigration office copy ) 500B ( plus 20B for 3rd photo I needed )

10 minutes INSIDE Immigration office total time.(*A*) 7 minutes to get 3rd photo in photo shop outside Immigration.

Went to Immigration at 10:30AM on a Tuesday

(*A*) Downloaded forms from net and completed at home BEFORE I went to office.

re

What is the cost of these services for 90 day report and extension renewal.

here ya go

8700 for them to do the work to get you a retirement stamp and a single entry re entry permit at the same time

and 1000 baht for doing your 90 day reports for the year

dave2

ps ... they might have gone up a bit now ?

post-42592-0-76901700-1404540072_thumb.j

post-42592-0-40740200-1404540113_thumb.j

That seems quite pricey. Double that, I suppose, if your spouse also needs such assistance. And you still have to show up at immigration plus the VisaAssist office. Guess I will remain with the great unwashed!

But I think that for those who are very elderly, disabled, just can't get around easily, or are simply not able to make the trip to the office that such a service is a very practical idea. In Chiang Mai, the officers are very sollicitous of visitors who can't cope well physically, and there are even "do it yourself procedures" for those who provide appropriate limited power of attorney and proof (appropriate photos showing the cause of the immobility as well as physician statements. I believe the rest of the paperwork is the same as for the able-bodied. I can not confirm this, but I expect that competent visa agents would be able to facilitate this as well.

Well, I don't sweat it out at Immigration. I went last week for my 90 Day report, in and out in 5 minutes, and my visa extension rarely takes more than an hour, most of which is spent sat outside with a couple of cups of coffee.

My 90 Day report was the same as it usually is, no barcode checking. In fact my passport doesn't have a barcode to check, apart from the one that Immigration stapled on a few years ago. Hand-written receipt, and the only thing new was the amount of rubber stamps he used. I counted 7 different ones.

+1. Same with me at Jomtien immigration...Usually in and out very quickly with no problems as long as you bring copies of every page in you passport that has any stamp relating to Thailand.

+1. Same with me at Jomtien immigration...Usually in and out very quickly with no problems as long as you bring copies of every page in you passport that has any stamp relating to Thailand.

This may be true for a 90-day report in Jomtien (which I doubt since I have read the remarkably helpful and accurate material prepared by the Pataya Expats Club which agrees with Chiang Mai procedures (and national police regulations and requirements). In Chiang Mai you do NOT need a copy of every border entry stamp, just the most recent. You do need copies of every border entry stamp when applying for an extension. (Don't ask me why!)

It would cause less confusion if those not utilizing the Chiang Mai office would not post their immigration office experiences here. (Also, in this case, it could potentially save a few trees!)

Edited by Mapguy

DATELINE: PATTAYA

Did 1st 90 day address report and residency certificate in 17 minutes ( had to go get a 3rd photo - took extra 7 mins ) at Immigration Office. Round trip from home on scooter 22 mins. Need I say more? Had downloaded all the paperwork from the net and had it completed. Also had copy of lease and 90 days of rent receipts

FYI

EDIT: And EVERYONE was NICE and FRIENDLY to me. NEW photo showed me with long hair...OLD photos with short hair, the officer smiled, compared photos, had a short laugh with smile and processed the paperwork..

This may be true for a 90-day report in Jomtien (which I doubt since I have read the remarkably helpful and accurate material prepared by the Pataya Expats Club which agrees with Chiang Mai procedures (and national police regulations and requirements). In Chiang Mai you do NOT need a copy of every border entry stamp, just the most recent. You do need copies of every border entry stamp when applying for an extension. (Don't ask me why!)

It would cause less confusion if those not utilizing the Chiang Mai office would not post their immigration office experiences here. (Also, in this case, it could potentially save a few trees!)

Yep

re

What is the cost of these services for 90 day report and extension renewal.

here ya go

8700 for them to do the work to get you a retirement stamp and a single entry re entry permit at the same time

and 1000 baht for doing your 90 day reports for the year

dave2

ps ... they might have gone up a bit now ?

I think that cost includes a significant fee to government and is not all pocketed by TVAssist- or saved by a personal visit. But maybe I have that wrong

They also say that this requirement changes frequently. Sometimes yes... sometimes no.

When I contacted them about a month before I was due for renewal, they said I would probably have to show up in person for five minutes. When the time came for the renewal a month later, I was not required to show up. On advice of another TV member, I subsquently took my passport to Immigration to check the validity of my stamp. It was valid. No problems.

You know I recently read an interesting report about a couple who were

unlucky to have had a dishonest visa agent/job agent

The sad part is they did time in Thai prison for having a bad stamp

& the agent who falsified the stamp only had to pay a fine & say he wouldn't do it again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/06/21/banged-up-in-bangkok-after-job-agency-bends-the-visa-rules/

it is your passport and your stamp, if someone wants to stay here and cannot get off their a-- for a visit to immigration once a year, get lost find another place to hang your hat.

For the first time not using a agent I when to the new place for a resident letter paid 500 bht pick up letter the next day in and out in 5 mins. I when on line to make appointment for my retirement visa first time I am doing without agent think I'm saving total of 6000 bht

Amazing! Now I think I ve seen everything on Thaivisa! Some people on here getting annoyed (or jealous?) because some of us choose to spend our hard earned cash the way we want to spend it, in this case by choosing the option of paying Rhys and his excellent staff to renew our Visa for us!

Personally, I would much prefer to play a leisurely 9 holes of golf while someone else does the legwork, thats my choice, and having done both the easy option and the hanging around in immigration option, I know which I will continue to prefer!

Funny how different views apply.

By not paying an agent and spending around 3 hours total a year in immigration I get to play around an additional 20 x 18 holes of golf at my favorite hackers course (Depending on what the agent cost is nowadays).I know which I prefer.

whistling.gif As always in Thailand ..... well it depends.

There are agents who do much of the process. They may want you to be present when the actual approval is stamped into your passport. They may ask you to schedule an appointment with them for that purpose.

If you are getting a one year extension of your visa, it is likely that the agent who actually stamps that into your passport will want to at least see you as he/she issues the stamp.

On the other hand their are (wholly legal and legitimate) companies who supply visa services. The agents who do this are well known to the immigration and are approved by immigration as agents.

I have personally seen one agent show up with about a dozen passports and all the proper forms already filled out in his hand ..... which were then all stamped by a supervisor approved.

If you have the money and want a service like that it is possible.

One point though, with the current situation and crackdown, I have not been to immigration in some time.

So I can not say exactly what the current situation is like.

I would guess they are now much stricter.

They also say that this requirement changes frequently. Sometimes yes... sometimes no.

When I contacted them about a month before I was due for renewal, they said I would probably have to show up in person for five minutes. When the time came for the renewal a month later, I was not required to show up. On advice of another TV member, I subsquently took my passport to Immigration to check the validity of my stamp. It was valid. No problems.

& the agent who falsified the stamp only had to pay a fine & say he wouldn't do it again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/06/21/banged-up-in-bangkok-after-job-agency-bends-the-visa-rules/

it is your passport and your stamp, if someone wants to stay here and cannot get off their a-- for a visit to immigration once a year, get lost find another place to hang your hat.

I used an agent a few years back to do 90 day reports as it was a good deal & they emailed your 90 day paper to you to print & put in

your passport. I did it more for the not needing to remember to do it myself than the time savings.

When they changed to needing you to drop & pickup your passport I opted out & do it myself these last few years.Never a problem

I have never used an agent to do yearly extensions as mine are based on marriage & my wife & I need to be there.

Plus I would never pay that fee for such a simple task.

It is not like I am busy here :)

Thanks for this "incredible" link!

Amazing! Now I think I ve seen everything on Thaivisa! Some people on here getting annoyed (or jealous?) because some of us choose to spend our hard earned cash the way we want to spend it, in this case by choosing the option of paying Rhys and his excellent staff to renew our Visa for us!

Personally, I would much prefer to play a leisurely 9 holes of golf while someone else does the legwork, thats my choice, and having done both the easy option and the hanging around in immigration option, I know which I will continue to prefer!

By not paying an agent and spending around 3 hours total a year in immigration I get to play around an additional 20 x 18 holes of golf at my favorite hackers course (Depending on what the agent cost is nowadays).I know which I prefer.

Wow- that must be a tight budget to be living on - but then that's whole 'nother thread.....!!!

I get the 90-day formalities done in Lampang now - the officers travel from Chiangmai on Tuesdays and are there round 1100 hours. They are still getting organised but it's painless and more convenient than travelling on Highway 11 and then cheating death (just in many instances) in the chaotic Chiangmai traffic.

I do the Retirement Visa Extension in Chiangmai and whilst it's essentially a day wasted it lets 'She who must be obeyed' loose in Airport Plaza and we stay overnight to catch up with friends or shopping. Despite the online queue always being booked out - and at times well BEFORE the 100 days they stipulate - we have never waited more than a couple of hours anyway. The process is relatively painless and the officers very efficient.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

After reading this story I will never want to ask any kind of help from a Thai who want to give me a visa or visa extension, risking 21 days in jail and the Thai scam artist get's a slap on the wrist and probably a 500 bath fine doesn't sound fair to me. bah.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

After reading this story I will never want to ask any kind of help from a Thai who want to give me a visa or visa extension, risking 21 days in jail and the Thai scam artist get's a slap on the wrist and probably a 500 bath fine doesn't sound fair to me. bah.gif

Or, for that matter, an agent whose office is his car and his 'sideline' is taking care of visa runs, and has been for... oh... a good two months now! There is an agency on Chiang Mai Land Road is run by two Farang, who are on the premises, and their Thai staff. Visas in all shapes, colors, and conversions are just one of the services they provide, along with business start-ups, work permits, company formations, etc., etc... most things bureaucratic that we Farang need to deal with. It's a well-established firm that's been in business for a while. I've only heard one complaint about them, and that had to do more with some miscommunication than legalities.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Wow- that must be a tight budget to be living on - but then that's whole 'nother thread.....!!!

Nothing whatsoever to do with budget simply money better spent as far I am concerned.

Just another 20x18 added to the other 150x18 that I play each year. Yes,I enjoy playing golf!

Just did the annual extension last week. Immigration are now taking photos electronically using the computer at the desk (same as at airport departure/arrival), which seems to be a new development in the last few weeks. Would be hard to do this if you weren't there in person, whether using an agent or not (though TIT I guess nothing is impossible wink.png ).

I can't say if this is also true for retirement visas though as I'm on a different type.

Let's be perfectly clear about one thing.. the service we are discussing here is not a dishonest agent, it's a legitimate service.

Some people walk, others get a taxi... it's the same difference.