bathroom door

angelsephemera

Will get a lovely light wood front door, want a matching 70x 200 bathroom door, but nowhere seems to have them, the best i can get is a darker colored hardwood. Maybe I should get a uPVC door because everywhere has them - do they have real advantages over natural wood for the bathroom? (personally i want to stay away from plastic and fake wood wherever possible)

I would definitely use UPVC. I have wooden bathroom doors and when my wife takes a shower it's like a typhoon in the bathroom. I've had to take them down numerous times and plane them because they would't close. The cabinet doors are also wood and they are in worse shape just waitng until they fall off -again- to replace them with UPVC!

• Like 2

I think his door has nothing to do with as wayward shower.

Its probably a combination of being badly fitted and general high humidity.

Plastic is cheap but it comes with disadvantages.

I suggest you use a wood frame and not the plastic one to suit the door.

Plastic frame is not easy to fix,it deflects and screws will puncture the frame so it doesn't look good.

Plastic doors cannot be planed down and hinges will get loose as the plastic wears. The door will also sag out of shape.

you are also limited with handle the cut out really is for a knob which are awful.

Pay for what you get really but in future my experience with 3 plastic doors will take me back to old faithful wood.....or mdf faced.

Door knobs work well on bathroom - not everyone is from Europe - and in general find knobs much better made here that the lever type (I know that is a judgement call but every lever type I have used (half dozen) have failed and have never had even the cheapest knob type fail. I do like lever for one hand/arm opening with food (not required for bathroom visits) but there it ends.

As for the door good qualify plastics hold up well - our door has been swinging fine for several decades. But agree wood for this frame.

Bathrooms are normally wet here so doors will get direct water at times. The most important thing is not to have door go to floor level - keep a tiled base about 6" high for door so bathroom can be flooded/cleaned easily without water going elsewhere or onto door.

• Like 1

i am suprised, i have a wooden bathroom door back in the UK, no problems - do you have a super strong shower?

I'm sure that your bathroom in the UK is not like most "bathrooms" here. Most bathrooms here are not really bathrooms with enclosed shower stalls or tubs, they are wet rooms with a sunken floor and a drain. The water from the shower will go everywhere including soaking the door and cabinet doors. Many bathrooms don't even have showers, just a cistern full of water and a bucket to dump it on you. My wife has the ability to soak the toilet paper that is kept on top of the "medicine cabinet" that is hung on the wall!

I have three houses and all of the bathrooms have wooden doors, all in poor condition and have been rehung numerous times. Only one bathroom has a proper bathtub in it and it still has a drain in the floor, shutting the shower doesn't happen very often.

• Like 1

i am suprised, i have a wooden bathroom door back in the UK, no problems - do you have a super strong shower?

I'm sure that your bathroom in the UK is not like most "bathrooms" here. Most bathrooms here are not really bathrooms with enclosed shower stalls or tubs, they are wet rooms with a sunken floor and a drain. The water from the shower will go everywhere including soaking the door and cabinet doors. Many bathrooms don't even have showers, just a cistern full of water and a bucket to dump it on you. My wife has the ability to soak the toilet paper that is kept on top of the "medicine cabinet" that is hung on the wall!

I have three houses and all of the bathrooms have wooden doors, all in poor condition and have been rehung numerous times. Only one bathroom has a proper bathtub in it and it still has a drain in the floor, shutting the shower doesn't happen very often.

If the locals do not know how to keep dry zones in a bathroom dry, use a shower curtain instead of a door... LOL

A wooden door frame on concrete heelstones works better than a plastic frame. Use of plastic door panel is optional.

Yes I agree with the door frame, they don't look good either, and a good point about keeping a step, I am planning on avoiding puddles with a sloped floor. I would like a wood door but with so little choice maybe a white MDF molded door is the way to go. Thanks all.