Thai customs to enforce duty-free limits on overseas purchases

Lite Beer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple explanation: this country is completely broke, so they are looking for new income in ... the tourist wallet.

either you buy your sock and underwear in thailand either they will fine you big laugh.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So just think about the logistics of this, maybe 20 customs booths open at any one time, processing maybe 20 people a minute, that will be funneled into one x-ray machine on departure, Hub of bottle necks .....

Well this is based on economics 101, Thai style. if biz is bad raise prices to make up the differences.

Tourist down so make the ones stupide enough to come here pay more. LUCKY them

• Like 1

This policy is similar to policies in nearly all other countries including all EU countries. It is not aimed at tourists or foreigners. It is aimed at Thai people returning home and having purchased goods abroad. There is a specific problem now where airline staff purchase luxury items abroad on order for delivery to Thai customers back home. This mostly relates to luxury bags, clothes and jewellery.

Since most European countries add a 16 to 25% VAT to any purchase the savings compared to buying in Thailand and paying Thai duties and VAT will be minimal. Hence it is easy to check Thais arriving from places like Hong Kong and Singapore where the saving on these luxurious items can be rather large. Customs officials then just check who is coming towards them from the direction of the luggage belt that was associated with that particular flight.

• Like 1

Phuket Gazette is a little slow, it's an old news and since then customs removed the signs and announced business as usual. Shortly after they were talking about increasing the limits.

More discussion in this earlier topic here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739023-thai-customs-for-passengers-travelling-in-and-out-of-thailand/

So, as someone already asked, why then is ThaiVisa posting this erronious piece? Fear mongering, perhaps?

Way to go to bring back the tourists . . . morons . . . this is akin to what they normally do in the bars, hotels and restaurants when trade is slow . . . instead of lowering prices, they double them . . . mad, mad country this is. Please bring back some "logic".

Tsk, tsk, tsk! Farang cannot understand Thainess...

No, farang understand Thainess only too well.

• Like 1

Way to go to bring back the tourists . . . morons . . . this is akin to what they normally do in the bars, hotels and restaurants when trade is slow . . . instead of lowering prices, they double them . . . mad, mad country this is. Please bring back some "logic".

Really? Couldn't you detect the facetiousness?

It was an attempt to levity. Sorry if it missed you.

Thb 10000,-

I gone to save a lot of money, no six pair of new shoes to wifey, no foreign souvenirs, presents or chocolate to the family!

As far as I know, chocolate is food. You are not allowed to import food into Thailand without a license.

Just over a year ago, food that my friend wanted to bring chocolate, peanutbutter, licorice and more, that my parents give him, over to Thailand was confiscated at Suvarnabhumi.

Phuket Gazette is a little slow, it's an old news and since then customs removed the signs and announced business as usual. Shortly after they were talking about increasing the limits.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739023-thai-customs-for-passengers-travelling-in-and-out-of-thailand/

So, as someone already asked, why then is ThaiVisa posting this erronious piece? Fear mongering, perhaps?

I'm guessing this news just now appeared in Phuket Gazette and so was posted in the news section, but this story has been in the BKK Post days ago however we aren't allowed to quote of link to BKK Post.

Thb 10000,-

I gone to save a lot of money, no six pair of new shoes to wifey, no foreign souvenirs, presents or chocolate to the family!

As far as I know, chocolate is food. You are not allowed to import food into Thailand without a license.

Just over a year ago, food that my friend wanted to bring chocolate, peanutbutter, licorice and more, that my parents give him, over to Thailand was confiscated at Suvarnabhumi.

When i am working abroad I often send 10kg boxes of food, candy, cookies and other thing to my wife and kids .

Never any problem , sometimes the boxes where opened and checked , never anything missing and always delivered .

Guess it depends on the officer that checks and the country it comes from .

This policy is similar to policies in nearly all other countries including all EU countries. It is not aimed at tourists or foreigners. It is aimed at Thai people returning home and having purchased goods abroad. There is a specific problem now where airline staff purchase luxury items abroad on order for delivery to Thai customers back home. This mostly relates to luxury bags, clothes and jewellery.

Since most European countries add a 16 to 25% VAT to any purchase the savings compared to buying in Thailand and paying Thai duties and VAT will be minimal. Hence it is easy to check Thais arriving from places like Hong Kong and Singapore where the saving on these luxurious items can be rather large. Customs officials then just check who is coming towards them from the direction of the luggage belt that was associated with that particular flight.

Amazing!! Took 35 posts before a voice of reason steps in and points out what is a simple truth...almost every country in the world applies duties to goods casually imported by returning residents. Anybody filled out a US Customs declaration lately?

If all you boneheads screeching about it killing tourism would just stop and think for a minute: how many tourists actually bring goods into Thailand? Very few, I'd guess....well, except for the ones bringing expensive devices for friends and family living here.

Years ago, when I used to travel from the USA with a lot of expensive, foreign made photo equipment, I would register it at the customs office before departure so I would have proof when I returned that it was not newly purchased.

Does anybody know if somebody can do the same here? Like if a departing passenger has a new Rolex, can he register it before leaving so he does not get taxed on it when he returns?

In more than 100 arrivals at BKK in the last 8 years, I've never been stopped and inspected exiting through the green zone. In some countries, when you enter green zone, there is a button you have to push that will randomly turn on either a green or a red light. If you are unlucky and get red, all your bags will be inspected.

Makes not declaring stuff a true crap shoot.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

best option is not to come here at all, if you must insist on coming dont fly direct., cross a land border.

Sister Sherry, forgive me. I don't drive a porsche. I do wear a Rolex however, and yes, it cost a lot more than a Louis Vuitton bag.

I bought it in Paragon, and kept my receipt. When I exited, I claimed back my tax. When I re-entered, I was FORCED to pay tax upon it, because IT WAS NOT believed it was 2nd hand. I produced my airport tax-return receipt, and it was insisted it was fake, and I HAD to pay tax on my watch to come to the place where I own a house and 2 cars. Now, tell me, dear Sister Sherry, if I must insist on coming in, to where I live and own property, why should I cross a land-border?

I'm sure you must have some secrets up your sleeve to make such an observation, sorry 'robe' not sleeve Sherry? Enlighten me please.

Welcome to TVF, Sa Tu! wink.png

Edited by UbonRatch

I am reading the article about enforcing duty free limits on overseas purchases today, Sunday 6th July. This should be the most up to date report as as far as I know this is the most recent post. However on previous days there have been articles dismissing this information. What is correct please?

best option is not to come here at all, if you must insist on coming dont fly direct., cross a land border.

Sister Sherry, forgive me. I don't drive a porsche. I do wear a Rolex however, and yes, it cost a lot more than a Louis Vuitton bag.

I bought it in Paragon, and kept my receipt. When I exited, I claimed back my tax. When I re-entered, I was FORCED to pay tax upon it, because IT WAS NOT believed it was 2nd hand. I produced my airport tax-return receipt, and it was insisted it was fake, and I HAD to pay tax on my watch to come to the place where I own a house and 2 cars. Now, tell me, dear Sister Sherry, if I must insist on coming in, to where I live and own property, why should I cross a land-border?

I'm sure you must have some secrets up your sleeve to make such an observation, sorry 'robe' not sleeve Sherry? Enlighten me please.

Am I reading it correctly that you were not a tourist but live in Thailand (own house and car). But you did claim VAT back at the airport under the tourist VAT refund scheme? Then when you came back to Thailand you had to pay the VAT that you didn't pay before. Which they only knew because you showed them that paper. Sounds you were lucky they didn't fine you for illegally claiming VAT back in the first place.

Nope. At that time I was on a non-O actually, not a visitor visa, and yes, if you fly out on a non-O you are permitted to claim tax back. Since, then, I bought property. And after that, on another return, I was asked to pay VAT. I always carry receipts, as a matter of due course, for goods bought within a county. I did nothing wrong, if that is what you are insinuating.

simple explanation: this country is completely broke, so they are looking for new income in ... the tourist wallet.

either you buy your sock and underwear in thailand either they will fine you big laugh.png

You mean they're going to check my underwear? I hope I get a pretty customs officer.

Am I reading it correctly that you were not a tourist but live in Thailand (own house and car). But you did claim VAT back at the airport under the tourist VAT refund scheme? Then when you came back to Thailand you had to pay the VAT that you didn't pay before. Which they only knew because you showed them that paper. Sounds you were lucky they didn't fine you for illegally claiming VAT back in the first place.

Nope. At that time I was on a non-O actually, not a visitor visa, and yes, if you fly out on a non-O you are permitted to claim tax back. Since, then, I bought property. And after that, on another return, I was asked to pay VAT. I always carry receipts, as a matter of due course, for goods bought within a county. I did nothing wrong, if that is what you are insinuating.

I'm a bit surprised about that. I always thought you needed to be a tourist to claim back the VAT so on a tourist visa or just the 30 day entry stamp. I've never tried myself it so I've no experience of it.

Throw the box and receipt in the bin in HKG before you come back. Next question.

Lol thanks smile.png

Been doing that for years w00t.gif

Would that make any difference as it seems customs are going to estimate it themselves. They might just make a high estimate and wait for you to give proof that it's too high. That's assuming they check of course.

Amazing!! Took 35 posts before a voice of reason steps in and points out what is a simple truth...almost every country in the world applies duties to goods casually imported by returning residents. Anybody filled out a US Customs declaration lately?

If all you boneheads screeching about it killing tourism would just stop and think for a minute: how many tourists actually bring goods into Thailand? Very few, I'd guess....well, except for the ones bringing expensive devices for friends and family living here.

Years ago, when I used to travel from the USA with a lot of expensive, foreign made photo equipment, I would register it at the customs office before departure so I would have proof when I returned that it was not newly purchased.

Does anybody know if somebody can do the same here? Like if a departing passenger has a new Rolex, can he register it before leaving so he does not get taxed on it when he returns?

In more than 100 arrivals at BKK in the last 8 years, I've never been stopped and inspected exiting through the green zone. In some countries, when you enter green zone, there is a button you have to push that will randomly turn on either a green or a red light. If you are unlucky and get red, all your bags will be inspected.

Makes not declaring stuff a true crap shoot.

All right boneheaddd, before making such comings I suggest you read the law, you will find its wording doesn't differentiate between returning Thai or incoming tourists so can equally be applied to either.

The way it is worded, it basically says they can include the cost of your used underwear into the 10k baht limit and you will be forced to pay tax on excess.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

• Like 1

Think about all those Koreans who take short golfing vacations to Thailand. They come in with new equipment, balls, shoes, etc., and then they're taxed up the kazoo. Bye, bye to Thailand as a golfing vacation destination. Same might apply to anybody coming to a resort with a tennis racket and tennis shoes. Tax, tax, tax. Oh, well, with all the empty rooms that will result from this policy at resorts, it should improve the crowding and service.

Really? Couldn't you detect the facetiousness?

It was an attempt to levity. Sorry if it missed you.

One can never be sure on the internet, especially when there are no smileys. tongue.png

I'm guessing this news just now appeared in Phuket Gazette and so was posted in the news section, but this story has been in the BKK Post days ago however we aren't allowed to quote of link to BKK Post.

Indeed, I read the BP article days ago. Guess Phuket Gazette decided to save it for a slow news day. cheesy.gif

Thb 10000,-

Usually such import restrictions apply only to raw food stuffs, such as meats and vegetables, but not cooked or processed foods. Chocolate is definately not raw, nor is peanut butter or licorice.

Note, I said normally. But TiT.