Fed up with Porridge

NoshowJones

This may be a question for Sheryl. For years I have always had porridge oats for breakfast, that's the kind you buy in Tesco or Big C, along with toasted brown bread with flora or similar. I am completely fed up eating it. I also don't eat fruit or vegetables unless in liquidised form, and drink that most days also.

Is there anything else I can take to replace the porridge which has fibre etc for breakfast? What about those "all you need" drinks that you buy in 7-11 for 25 Baht?

Also, I have about three teaspoonfuls of Ajinomoto Lite Sugar with tea every day. I am not trying to lose weight,( six ft tall. 78 Ks) I just don't want to get fat like most of my Farang friends now that I am getting older.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too love my breakfast porridge, but I try to vary it by adding different fruits and raisins. I must admit I don't have it 7 days a week, sometimes it's wholemeal toast or beans on toast, cornflakes and fruit etc.

• Like 1

I would rather chop off my arm than stop eating oatmeal for breakfast, that and another five or six key foods have combined to keep my blood sugar levels stable and allowed me to stop taking statins - my cholesterol last month came in at 129 with LDL at 55 and triglycerides at 65 (zero statins). You may dislike the stuff but it sure is good for you.

I don't dislike it, but I am fed up eating it every day, I do not have any problems heath wise that I know about. What sort of oatmeal do you eat?

I too love my breakfast porridge, but I try to vary it by adding different fruits and raisins. I must admit I don't have it 7 days a week, sometimes it's wholemeal toast or beans on toast, cornflakes and fruit etc.

I don't eat fruit whole, I liquidise it, beans on brown bread toasted with beans, that sounds good, but possibly too much sugar. The beans is out a tin, what about fish out a tin?

I would rather chop off my arm than stop eating oatmeal for breakfast, that and another five or six key foods have combined to keep my blood sugar levels stable and allowed me to stop taking statins - my cholesterol last month came in at 129 with LDL at 55 and triglycerides at 65 (zero statins). You may dislike the stuff but it sure is good for you.

I don't dislike it, but I am fed up eating it every day, I do not have any problems heath wise that I know about. What sort of oatmeal do you eat?

My preference is for Lowans which is Australian, 150 baht for a month supply, failing that there's a couple of high quality Malaysian products available - both are quick oats with zero added anything. Half a cup (dry) of oatmeal and one cup of milk, microwave for 90 seconds and voilla! The end product is more like musili in hot milk, not a pasty sauce which is what the (Scotts) porridge of my youth reminded me of, more coarse and natural in appearance and not soupy at all. Maybe try adding fruit to it, a few blueberries, a couple of quartered strawberries, ground flax seed, quartered prunes etc. Another variant is to mix quick oats with rolled oats 50/50, cook the same way as above but it comes out almost crunchy. Yet another variant is to blend half a banana with the milk and then mix and microwave it all, banana milk oatmeal is excellent.

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/ode-to-oatmeal-50-recipes-to-spice-up-breakfast/

• Like 1

Hello,

a good French breakfast with coffee, tea or chocolate with or without milk, 2 slices of bread buttered toast with jam or honey + fruit juice.

and that gives you the same goodness as porridge?

My preference is for Lowans which is Australian, 150 baht for a month supply, failing that there's a couple of high quality Malaysian products available - both are quick oats with zero added anything. Half a cup (dry) of oatmeal and one cup of milk, microwave for 90 seconds and voilla! The end product is more like musili in hot milk, not a pasty sauce which is what the (Scotts) porridge of my youth reminded me of, more coarse and natural in appearance and not soupy at all. Maybe try adding fruit to it, a few blueberries, a couple of quartered strawberries, ground flax seed, quartered prunes etc. Another variant is to mix quick oats with rolled oats 50/50, cook the same way as above but it comes out almost crunchy. Yet another variant is to blend half a banana with the milk and then mix and microwave it all, banana milk oatmeal is excellent.

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/ode-to-oatmeal-50-recipes-to-spice-up-breakfast/

Thanks Chaing Mai, but I cannot eat fruit unless it is liquidised. It is the Malaysian porridge I have been eating.

I don't eat breakfast..............thumbsup.gif

Ooooop's, I don't eat lunch either..........whistling.gif

But I enjoy my dinner..................smile.png

You mean you go all day without eating until dinner time, which would be about 5pm?

• Like 1

Wow, how can you do that, no problems with blood sugar levels, missing meals is a major cause of increased blood glucose levels?

I can see a person eating say oatmeal for breakfast and then maybe, maybe skipping lunch and then eating dinner although that means you're going to bed on a full stomach which is not good for weight gain - the best of the bunch is oatmeal for breakfast, medium sized lunch and very small dinner, minimize weight gain and keeps adding food to your system every six hours so blood glucose is satisfied plus no risk of weight gain.

Just a thought Possum: have you experimented with omlettes, I'm keen on broccoli or spinach omlettes, sounds dreadful but add some cheese and the right spices and it's low cal and healthy?

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

I eat at around 7pm. Think blood sugar is taken care of by my beer intake. whistling.gif

I feel better now than at any time in my life, but I am in my seventh decade so don't need heaps of grub. I can weight train too, STILL.............thumbsup.gif

I am not fat, (a little you know where) still have muscle mass I built many years ago. smile.png

Edited by transam

Maybe skip the breakfast and eat some can of beans?

A can of tuna with garlic mixed with a can of bean.

minced meat with ham and a lot herbs with a can of beans.

Not good for breakfast (at least for me) but has some fiber...

Bonjour,

un bon petit déjeuner français avec café, thé ou chocolat avec ou sans lait, 2 tranches de pain beurrées de pain grillé avec du jus de fruit de la confiture ou du miel +.

et qui vous donne la même bonté que de la bouillie?

This is not porridge. Toast with the butter and jam or honey crisp bread in the teeth.

Wow, how can you do that, no problems with blood sugar levels, missing meals is a major cause of increased blood glucose levels?

I can see a person eating say oatmeal for breakfast and then maybe, maybe skipping lunch and then eating dinner although that means you're going to bed on a full stomach which is not good for weight gain - the best of the bunch is oatmeal for breakfast, medium sized lunch and very small dinner, minimize weight gain and keeps adding food to your system every six hours so blood glucose is satisfied plus no risk of weight gain.

Just a thought Possum: have you experimented with omlettes, I'm keen on broccoli or spinach omlettes, sounds dreadful but add some cheese and the right spices and it's low cal and healthy?

Yes, I love omletes with chicken or ham fried in olive oil, but not broccoli or spinach, I don't eat veg, although I love veg soup liquidised. No, not cheese, that is fattening.

Yes, toasted brown bread with beans or tuna, but definitely not herbs or garlic.

Google Bircher Muesli and start again. Been eating it nearly every day for 20 years. Many variations

Muesli? Is that not raisins and nuts? That is the last thing I would ever eat.

How healthy is the small once a day drinks you buy in 7-11 for 25 Baht? Anyone know? What about you Sheryl?

If it's not too personal, may I ask what the veg/fruit issues are?

Omlettes with meat alone is high protein and potentially high fat, you need some carbs to balance that out, low glycemic carbs such as oatmeal are ideal. But some veg offers the same things, broccoli, spinach, runner beans, all work just as well.

I'm diabetic but my blood sugar is very well controlled hence no meds/injections, getting the food balance right is critical to me, small amounts of fruit are OK in my diet, as is the occasional splurge on fantasy foods such as pizza etc., just curious about why you rule out so many potentially viable options.

Yes, toasted brown bread with beans or tuna, but definitely not herbs or garlic.

No I mean it different....but having a problem expressing it in english.

Take a pan, a bit oil, fry the minced meat or the tuna, add a bit onion....when fried add the beans, stir it, cook a bit, up to your taste add garlic and/or herbs and/or chilly.

garlic isn't important, just I like it....my wife hates me, my dog barks at me, my staff keeps distance when I speak....but it tastes great licklips.gif

• Like 1

No I mean it different....but having a problem expressing it in english.

Take a pan, a bit oil, fry the minced meat or the tuna, add a bit onion....when fried add the beans, stir it, cook a bit, up to your taste add garlic and/or herbs and/or chilly.

garlic isn't important, just I like it....my wife hates me, my dog barks at me, my staff keeps distance when I speak....but it tastes great licklips.gif

I don't like onions, although I use onion powder sometimes. You mean minced meat like what you buy in Tesco? I have that often, but not fried, I eat very little fried food and when I do I use olive oil.

Omlettes with meat alone is high protein and potentially high fat, you need some carbs to balance that out, low glycemic carbs such as oatmeal are ideal. But some veg offers the same things, broccoli, spinach, runner beans, all work just as well.

I'm diabetic but my blood sugar is very well controlled hence no meds/injections, getting the food balance right is critical to me, small amounts of fruit are OK in my diet, as is the occasional splurge on fantasy foods such as pizza etc., just curious about why you rule out so many potentially viable options.

I don't know, any fruit or veg I eat has got to be smoothies. I have never had any health issues or weight problems, so I can't be doing much wrong.

Commercial muesli which of course is mostly grains is often very high in sugar. Not to mention cooked in probably not the best fats. Nuts are health promoting.

I know JT, but nuts are the last thing I could ever eat.

I don't know, any fruit or veg I eat has got to be smoothies. I have never had any health issues or weight problems, so I can't be doing much wrong.

So why must it be in smoothies only? Digestion starts with the chewing process and the release of saliva hence it's not good to blend everything, not doing so might open up different ways to enjoy your breakfast, no?

Commercial muesli which of course is mostly grains is often very high in sugar. Not to mention cooked in probably not the best fats. Nuts are health promoting.

I know JT, but nuts are the last thing I could ever eat.

Why. No teeth, allergic to nuts?

Edited by giddyup

Alternate porridge with Sanitarium WeetBix [Australian] with milk, hot or cold. Use honey as a sweetener.

ARO Oatmeal from Makro is the best I've found and I sometimes add a pinch of salt or cinnamon for taste, usually eat with just honey and natural yoghurt.

• Like 1