Outrage over Thai tourists 'vandalising' Great Wall of China

webfact

Outrage Over Thai Tourists 'Vandalising' Great Wall of China
By Khaosod English

14044751511404475384l.jpg

14044751511404479396l.jpg
Photos of graffiti left by Thai tourists on the Great Wall of China has sparked an internet outrage back at home.
Source: http://pantip.com/topic/32262025

BANGKOK — Photos of graffiti left by Thai tourists on the Great Wall of China have sparked an internet outrage back at home.

The photos were posted on the webforum Pantip earlier this week under the sarcastic title "Please see the fine art painting on the Great Wall of China by Thai artists, unmatched by any other nation in the world."

The scribbles were apparently written on stretches of the ancient wall with white correction pens. Many of the messages were proclamations that certain Thai individuals had been there, accompanied with their names.

"Maya was here," reads one. "Praphatsaraphon was here," proclaims another.

Some individuals made sure the international audience was alerted of their Thai nationality. One scribbler, who called herself Jinny, wrote "I am Thai" next to her name.

The images drew wide condemnation from Thai internet users back at home, with some commentators pointing out the hypocrisy of Thai citizens who often criticise Chinese tourists for their disruptive behaviour while visiting Thaialnd.

"Imagine if you visit the Temple of Emerald Buddha and saw these scribblings on the wall of the temple, what would you feel?" wrote an internet commentator, referring to one of Bangkok's top tourist destinations.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1404475151&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-07

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the dates isn't it kind of late for the faux outrage?

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

Until you take your little Thai honey up to the site and she is not admitted. Funny, never see any graffiti on my favorite wats.

maybe not in the best favor of China either. I mean when the west does something they don't like, they turn to China. Soon China may turn it's back as well. It's not like Thailand holds any great strategic importance to anyone.

• Like 1

last time I was there in 2010 the wall was covered top to bottom in graffiti in every possible language you could think of. People or so called graffiti "Artists" had even attacked the wall with spray cans.

I believe that the Chinese Authorities have now set up specific graffiti areas.

• Like 2

How do you think these idiots would feel if the Chinese started scrawling graffiti all over the Thai people's most sacred monuments or even pictures of he who is held most sacred here???

I think they may understand their stupidity when the shoe is on the other foot.

They wouldn't. It doesn't work like that. A Thai person would wear a pair of shorts with the flag of another nation all across the arse, but would never do so with the Thai flag on as that is disrespectful.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do you think these idiots would feel if the Chinese started scrawling graffiti all over the Thai people's most sacred monuments or even pictures of he who is held most sacred here???

I think they may understand their stupidity when the shoe is on the other foot.

In a way, I hope it happens.

Thai's are not worldly, so it surprises me how they ever found the Great wall , however now that they have ,go's to show ,Thai's are not as perfect as they thought or make out to be , maybe they should try graffiti on the national monument Thailand.

Looking at the dates isn't it kind of late for the faux outrage?

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

I think it is more a case of disrespect by idiotic people.

After all, it is one of the wonders of the ancient world, not something to be fugged around with.

But hey.... It is a measure of the intelligence of those responsible.

One of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Are you sure? Maybe you should try to read up on that.

I may not have responded except you went on to discuss the intelligence of people. Another measure is of those who post on the internet things they clearly know nothing about,

(spelling will be out, but this is of the top of my head)

mausoleum of harlicarnuos.

Temple at ephusis

Library at Alexandria

Colossus of Rhodes

Pyrimids in Giza

Hanging gardens of babylon

statue of Zeus.

G

• Like 2

Atleast it's just correction pen, that you can wash away. Does anyone remember the Chinese tourist in Egypt actually scratching in his name in to the stone, that you can't wash away...

Yes, there was a thread about on thaivisa. I am not sure where, but I would guess it would have been in the World News.

Atleast it's just correction pen, that you can wash away. Does anyone remember the Chinese tourist in Egypt actually scratching in his name in to the stone, that you can't wash away...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-22677980

Does pot/kettle/black seem appropriate?

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand