Guesthouse Partner

I have lived in Thailand for the past year and visited a number of times starting in 1970.

I don’t really need to work but I would like to do something and also find something to occupy my wife.

I have been in the hotel and restaurant business all of my life as a General Manager for Hilton and Holiday Inn hotels and a restaurant owner of both 4 star restaurants and fast food franchises.

I have come to the conclusion that leasing a small guest house with 20 or so rooms and establishing a small restaurant and convenience store and massage shop is good way to earn some income and keep busy.

I have seen decent guesthouses for sale between 1 and 3 million Baht with rents from 10 to 50 thousand Baht a month.

My thought is to find two other partners in the same situation with a Thai wife and establish residency in the guest house converting three rooms each for an apartment. That would leave 10 rooms to rent.

I would estimate about 40,000 Baht per month profit based on 50% occupancy.

If I am wrong and there is no occupancy nor sales from the shops then the worst case scenario is splitting the rent and the fixed costs such as electricity between three parties.

The wives have something to do and the men a pleasant pub to watch football and eat steaks.

My choice of location for climate, price of guesthouses and tourist potential is Chiang Mai. But I would be open to other locations and I have lived in Pattaya and Bangkok and for the past 8 months Chiang Mai.

If anyone has any interest in further details please contact me.