Alcohol sale and drink will be banned on all trains in Thailand

webfact

You can't drink on the trains in North Korea either. This lot have only just started. I hope all you ex-pats who have purchased houses illegally through Thai companies are ready to lose them.

You can't drink on the trains in North Korea either. This lot have only just started. I hope all you ex-pats who have purchased houses illegally through Thai companies are ready to lose them.

Who wants to go to N Korea ? Whats with the houses ? Are you some little English teacher on 10,000 a month looking at all the farangs here who have made something of their lives ? your dingy little room not up to scratch ? I've built two houses here,legally, eat your heart out.

I don't get it. The company employs a beer drinking, drug abusing rapist and as a result of their uselessness they are going to ban sale of alcohol to their customers? How does that solve the problem of the company's HR inadequacies?

• Like 1

I predicted this reactionary response, millions of uneventful trips completed by passengers on the rail, millions of beers consumed. An awful, tragic event...reaction? no more beer sales or consumption. So now instead of one unfortunate victim, all those travelers that enjoy a drink on board the train are victims also.

Perhaps you didn't read the article.

Alcohol consumption will still be allowed...discreetly.

I would consider the victim to be more than unfortunate and I would suggest you reconsider your idea that not being able to buy alcohol on the train is even remotely similar to her fate.

Perhaps you read te article but not properly? "Passengers can bring their alcoholic drinks on board but if they are seen drinking on board they will be invited to get off the trains, he added.

This is Thailand, that wont happen,that would be like enforcing the traffic laws

Agreed. If they can't stop the problems of mini van drivers being off their face on yaba then what chance is there?

Great news, with the absence of the odd and sometimes slightly intimidating atmosphere created by intoxicated Railway Police and SRT staff, maybe the restaurant carriages will become more of a pleasant place to sit in.

Who wants to go to N Korea ? Whats with the houses ? Are you some little English teacher on 10,000 a month looking at all the farangs here who have made something of their lives ? your dingy little room not up to scratch ? I've built two houses here,legally, eat your heart out.

There's nothing like an uncivilised lack of modesty to overshadow accomplishment.

• Like 1

Knee Jerk Reaction, for the actions of one sub-contractor.

More to the point who was supervising this contractor?

Probably better to ban employees and contractors from drinking before and while on duty, and any passenger who's behaviour is not acceptable (anti-social or offensive) will face being refused travel or being removed from a train (at the next station).

• Like 1

Good call. Nothing worse than sitting next to someone stinking of beer or whisky all trip. Drinking shouldn't be allowed around children anyway.

I remember the time I got sat next to a "Pattaya Farang" on the plane. He ordered beer after beer for 13 hours. After the third, he took of his leather jacket to reveal his unwashed vest and unleash his BO, and then proceeded to slurp and burp before falling asleep and snoring.

That was me. I did it just to piss you off.

Why do i believe this ?
. The best thing they can do is ban all beer having heard what happened all you Falangs that think about gettin pissed on the train well hahaha it's stopped it won't kill you till you reach your destination and if you dare to consume the beer discreetly they will be plenty of Thais or lads like me to grass you up ???

You were doing well until the "grass you up" bit.

The ladies only carriage idea is a good one.

In theory is a great idea if all staff are only female as well. What's the point if staff still male ?

Just wondering.

Alcohol didn't make this man a rapist and killer, nor did drugs. Being a rapist and killer made him a rapist and killer. The drugs and alcohol just lowered his inhibitions, and made it easier for him to unleash his true personality.

Odds are, this was not the first time he's raped someone.

A better screening process might have filtered him out...but probably not. Do you have any idea HOW INCREDIBLY EASY it is for a Thai person to change their identity? It's stunningly simple. A new screening process can't weed out the bad apples...if it's not connected to competent ID system. They need a new screening process...and a new everything else having to do with IDs and histories! Of course, they've got to start somewhere, and doing SOMETHING to improve is better than doing nothing to improve. But I wouldn't hold-out much real hope...for quite a long time.

Lastly, for the person who has said a couple of times, "Read the article. It says you can still drink. You just have to do it discretely." (paraphrased) -- No, it DOESN'T say that. Read the article. It says you can still BRING alcohol on the train, but it DOESN'T say you can drink it.

They are acknowledging that people go shopping...and sometimes carry alcohol home or on vacation with them. They're saying it's a SELLING and CONSUMING ban, but not a TRANSPORTING ban.

I agree with the consensus here: This ban is silly and does nothing to address the real problem. And it takes away a service that people clearly want...and eliminates a revenue stream the system clearly needs.

In addition, which is likely to make a more "secure" environment for the travelers--having the officers patrolling the cars looking for customers to buy alcohol...or taking away their reason for making the walk, at all? These are not "security officers," of course; but they ARE an "official presence" that might be helping to keep things somewhat under control.

Is taking away their reason for "patrolling"...really a way to make everyone more..."secure?"

• Like 1

There's nothing like an uncivilised lack of modesty to overshadow accomplishment.

I was born modest; not all over,but in spots

What is their line of thinking? It was not another passenger who got drunk and raped this poor little girl! It was one of their employees who did it. So why are they intent to punish all train travellers by banning alcohol consumption on trains? This may be a reactionary response but the action does not suit the terrible crime committed by that employee and surely it would not prevent another employee from bringing whiskey on a train to drink after everyone is asleep. The SRT is punishing the passengers for their own mistakes by other employees allowing this man to drink while on duty.

since this is the LOS we're talking about, one is very much inclined to believe that NO THINKING was involved at all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And keep lady boys away from all carriages.

Nah. They can sit on the roof.

It's unfortunate that bureaucrats and politicians feel the need to make knee-jerk responses in the wake of tragedy, often with unintended consequences. They are usually to placate public opinion and be seen to be 'doing' something about the problem, in reality rarely addressing the cause directly.

• Like 2

Pathetic.Coincidentally this monster was on a train. Stopping the sale of alcohol is good enough. You're welcome to board the train under the influence though and discretely get inebriated quietly in a corner to ponder your dark thoughts. And well let you off at a stop in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night regardless of your age where is also safe from loud drunk people. We're not going to pay for more security though.

this way a possible perpetrator knows where to go?

Rape on the train. Now even better, you have a choice !! Gone are the old days where you relied on coincidence,travel the new convenient way,a comfortable seat next to the women's carriage,booking in advance is recommended.

Sick, you need professional help!

this way a possible perpetrator knows where to go?

Rape on the train. Now even better, you have a choice !! Gone are the old days where you relied on coincidence,travel the new convenient way,a comfortable seat next to the women's carriage,booking in advance is recommended.

Sick, you need professional help!

sarcasm is not your thing is it

"Passengers can bring their alcoholic drinks on board but if they are seen drinking on board they will be invited to get off the trains, he added".

And.......if the invitation is declined? biggrin.png

200 Baht should see you alright,and a little sip from the whiskey bottle.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I predicted the response of some posters thinking not getting a beer on a train because of a rape/death of a 13 year old girl that they were the real victims.

That is not the point. The point is that the government's response is a knee-jerk reaction that doesn't address the problem but makes it look like they are doing something serious. Since rapes by drunken men can occur anywhere, not just on trains, why not ban alcohol altogether, everywhere? I'm sure there are politicians who would like to do so (remember Purachai?) but it wouldn't solve the problem and would just create others.

No one is saying the inconvenience of not being able to drink on the train is anywhere near equivalent to the horror of being raped. How you could get that from any of the responses so far is beyond me.

• Like 1

Having a couple of beers on the train while watching the sun setting over the fields was a great pleasure for a great many peace loving and law abiding people, who are allowed to drink on trains the world over.

This is a ridiculous knee-jerk response from a ridiculous knee-jerk government.

Banning SRT employees from drinking is all that's needed here.

Knee jerk response would be someone reading one news article and forming an opinion rather than considering the larger context that alcohol abuse has been an issue on these trains for some time and not from the folks like you or me who just had a drink or two while watching the sunset.

Do you travel By train in Thailand?

You sound like one of those politically correct 'elf 'n' safety zealots from the western world. The kind who take pleasure in ruining everyone's enjoyment by banning everything that's fun but a tiny little bit risky.

And yes, I've travelled by train in Thailand many times.

Banning alcohol won't stop psychopaths from perpetrating crimes like these.

• Like 1

Ban alcohol? I thought alcohol is banned during day hours and election days?

The outcome - 4th highest alcohol consumption country in th world and a very corrupt gov as we are finding out ( even though we already knew)

CB

illegal, banned, against regulations, Thailand. Silly boy,how long have you lived here?