Alcohol sale and drink will be banned on all trains in Thailand

webfact

Why would anyone ride a train in Thailand, at one time there was a good train service but that disappeared years ago. Bangkok to Chiang Mai 12 to 16 hours by train the same trip by air 1 hour and 20 min. do your drinking on the ground.

Darn prices for both food and drink on Thai trains has always been too expensive anyway, just a scam. In the past when I rode the train, I would pay but then the "waiter" would never come back with the change.

yes, such a scam, order drink, pay for drink, drink drink. they are having you on. i would not tolerate it.

Why would anyone ride a train in Thailand, at one time there was a good train service but that disappeared years ago. Bangkok to Chiang Mai 12 to 16 hours by train the same trip by air 1 hour and 20 min. do your drinking on the ground.

If you are travelling with the wife and three children it could be to do with expense,or the fact that if you live in the sticks you have a 7 hour journey by train anyway just to get to Bangkok.

Typical knee jerk response reacting to the effect rather than the cause. Gender segregation is the only suggestion that has any merit, however, in doing so it will speak volumes regarding Thai culture within the tourist industry.

From the details contained in the initial report it was a local Thai employee fueled by alcohol and drugs that perpetrated this heinous crime. Perhaps more rigid scrutiny on employees, better supervision and random testing on employees would would have been a more rational and logical approach.

Drug abuse in Thailand is endemic along with the consumption of the cheap Thai liquors.

For me at least a strong well implemented and enforced policy accompanied by adequate supervision regarding drug and alcohol abuse would be the rational way to go.

There were also suggestions as to the resignation of the SRT Governor which I thought was irrational ,however if this is answer to this problem then yes perhaps he should go.

I use the train because I have a lot of cargo to take back with me from my shopping trips in BKK. I normally rent both berths in the first class car so I have room to put everything in without bothering anybody. Normally I have a cooler in wheels to put stuff in so I can obviously drink whatever I want to and nobody will bother me. That being said, I liked the lady in the restaurant car on the train to Ubon. Really funny lady but if there is no beer there the food is not any sort of a draw as it is horrible.

I predicted the response of some posters thinking not getting a beer on a train because of a rape/death of a 13 year old girl that they were the real victims.

If the trajedy was in any way connected to beer sales on trains the reaction would be understandable. The real victims are the people that live under a reactionary, predictably stupid govt. understand now?

No alcohol, but no mention of No Yaba !

In the UK transport companies have random drink and drugs tests.

The daily "signing in" sheet is photo-copied and all entries cut into slips which are folded and put in a box.

5 or 6 are drawn out of the box and those who names are drawn are tested. Fail the test - sign-on at the local dole office. Simple.

Medication prescribed by a doctor is generally excluded, but the type of medication must be reported to the user's supervisor and approved by the company medical officer.

Companies carrying out design work for rail and other transport systems, although based in an office and who do not even visit a railway line, airport or bus station are also subject to similar random tests.

To have a beer at Friday lunchtime office based engineers would have to work on non-rail projects in the afternoon.

None of this was ever a problem

As someone who uses the second class sleeper, non air, every month, let me explain about the carriage sleeping arrangements.

There is one official whose job is to make the beds, close the windows- that requires strength as many are old, stuck or semi jammed. When the carriage doors are locked about 11pm when the buffet car has closed, he sleeps in a little room at the end of the carriage. He knows where everyone sleeps having checked their tickets and made the beds. The non air carriages are noisy when going at speed, everyone has drawn the curtains around their beds, so an intruder, ie the official would not be seen by anyone in the middle of the night, and with the noise of the train moving, no one would hear a muffled scream.

I've found 90% of these officials to be helpful but it's undeniable some of the train staff/ police, drink on duty.

The point is, once the carriage doors are locked, only a fellow passenger or the carriage official could steal from or hurt the passengers, so the latter needs to be trustworthy and of good character.

Tragically the checks failed here.

Thanks for these details as I typically take 2nd class A/C sleeper or 1st Class private sleeper.

Is it certain the girl and her sisters were in a 2nd class non-A/C sleeper as you describe?

I have never seen the carriage doors locked.

It was my understanding the murderer was not a conductor, but only a laundry attendant sleeping one car away from where the assault took place and had no work assignment in that car.

Edited by ClutchClark

Yes....I did that trip several years ago with a mate....14 hrs I think...

But a few beers.(well..a lot really)....bottle of Black, coke, ice and heaps of platform food at the stops, and the trip was a pleasure....but once was enough!

Typicai Thai knee jerk reaction to come steamrollering in and bellowing like a bull, when a little common sense applied would suffice.

Oh yes, of course. Sorry, I forgot..................mai pen rai.dry.png

• Like 1

"Would his resignation really solve the problem?"

would banning alcohol solve the problem of employees high on drugs?

-*I typed this myself*-

No and no. Knee jerking will not solve the problem.

Good call. Nothing worse than sitting next to someone stinking of beer or whisky all trip. Drinking shouldn't be allowed around children anyway.

I remember the time I got sat next to a "Pattaya Farang" on the plane. He ordered beer after beer for 13 hours. After the third, he took of his leather jacket to reveal his unwashed vest and unleash his BO, and then proceeded to slurp and burp before falling asleep and snoring.

That was me. I did it just to piss you off.

Why do i believe this ?
. The best thing they can do is ban all beer having heard what happened all you Falangs that think about gettin pissed on the train well hahaha it's stopped it won't kill you till you reach your destination and if you dare to consume the beer discreetly they will be plenty of Thais or lads like me to grass you up ???

I predicted this reactionary response, millions of uneventful trips completed by passengers on the rail, millions of beers consumed. An awful, tragic event...reaction? no more beer sales or consumption. So now instead of one unfortunate victim, all those travelers that enjoy a drink on board the train are victims also.

Hmmm! Ban the alcohol because drunks commit crimes. Seems to be the same logic as ban the gun because crimes are committed using guns.

Works for me.

• Like 1

Why cause a problem for all those who like to have a few drinks before an overnight sleep? This won't fix any of the problems that exist. They will just 'bring their own' booze or pills...........

But the Thai mentality of those responsible for THIS BAN are thinking themselves 'HEROs' for taking 'corrective action' in this situation, when in reality they haven't fixed anything (but their 'face' feels so much pleasure).And I am NOT bashing the average Thai - I really love the majority of them........ It is the 'important decision makers' that create bans like this thinking that they have 'done a good job'..........

• Like 1

The train waiters are going to take a big hit on this. There is a reason why they badger you every 3 mins for a beer and its both for commission and tips. Having a cold beer in the open windowed restaurant car was a nice and just added to the train travel experience

The backpackers will still party except now it will be a bottle of vodka mixed with orange juice drinking out of an orange juice bottle, 10 times stronger so the ban wont achieve much

As someone who uses the second class sleeper, non air, every month, let me explain about the carriage sleeping arrangements.

There is one official whose job is to make the beds, close the windows- that requires strength as many are old, stuck or semi jammed. When the carriage doors are locked about 11pm when the buffet car has closed, he sleeps in a little room at the end of the carriage. He knows where everyone sleeps having checked their tickets and made the beds. The non air carriages are noisy when going at speed, everyone has drawn the curtains around their beds, so an intruder, ie the official would not be seen by anyone in the middle of the night, and with the noise of the train moving, no one would hear a muffled scream.

I've found 90% of these officials to be helpful but it's undeniable some of the train staff/ police, drink on duty.

The point is, once the carriage doors are locked, only a fellow passenger or the carriage official could steal from or hurt the passengers, so the latter needs to be trustworthy and of good character.

Tragically the checks failed here.

Actually not quite true....go to the restaurant car in the early hours of the morning and you will find him and the security police all sitting round drinking and playing cards. In this case it would have been better if this one had stayed there.

Edited by harrry

Having a couple of beers on the train while watching the sun setting over the fields was a great pleasure for a great many peace loving and law abiding people, who are allowed to drink on trains the world over.

This is a ridiculous knee-jerk response from a ridiculous knee-jerk government.

Banning SRT employees from drinking is all that's needed here.

• Like 1

Having a couple of beers on the train while watching the sun setting over the fields was a great pleasure for a great many peace loving and law abiding people, who are allowed to drink on trains the world over.

This is a ridiculous knee-jerk response from a ridiculous knee-jerk government.

Banning SRT employees from drinking is all that's needed here.

Knee jerk response would be someone reading one news article and forming an opinion rather than considering the larger context that alcohol abuse has been an issue on these trains for some time and not from the folks like you or me who just had a drink or two while watching the sunset.

Do you travel By train in Thailand?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So all these posts who say "I think the female only carriage is a good idea" will be happy to get on a overnight train with their wife/girlfriend/daughter and not see them for 12hrs????? Not me i would rather have my daughter where i can see her at all times!!

It won't be compulsory....... Most probably optional for females travelling alone, in pairs or groups.

I travel on the trains all the time ( the only way to travel in Thailand that i enjoy ) and i hardly ever see anybody drinking alcohol on the trains.So its not exactly a major change or problem.

• Like 2

thai trains are something not to get when you want to travel in thailand....they are one of the worst in the world.....now as a customer if you can not even drink a beer because a creasy employe one did a creasy thing one day....!facepalm.gif i dont understand!w00t.gif

alcool is a thai social problem like it is also today for the young english society in england ....and it is not making prohibition that they are going to get rid of it...perhaps by teaching, preventing, short accident movies involving alcool, they could reach it

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

The ladies only carriage idea is a good one.

this way a possible perpetrator knows where to go?

Rape on the train. Now even better, you have a choice !! Gone are the old days where you relied on coincidence,travel the new convenient way,a comfortable seat next to the women's carriage,booking in advance is recommended.

thai trains are something not to get when you want to travel in thailand....they one of the worst in the world.....now as a customer if you can not even drink a beer because a creasy employe one did a creasy thing one day....!facepalm.gif i dont understand!w00t.gif

alcool is a thai social problem and it is not making prohibition that they are going to get rid of it...perhaps by teaching, preventing, short accident movies involving alcool.

coffee1.gif

Alcohol is even worse

• Like 1

I predicted this reactionary response, millions of uneventful trips completed by passengers on the rail, millions of beers consumed. An awful, tragic event...reaction? no more beer sales or consumption. So now instead of one unfortunate victim, all those travelers that enjoy a drink on board the train are victims also.

Perhaps you didn't read the article.

Alcohol consumption will still be allowed...discreetly.

I would consider the victim to be more than unfortunate and I would suggest you reconsider your idea that not being able to buy alcohol on the train is even remotely similar to her fate.

Perhaps you read te article but not properly? "Passengers can bring their alcoholic drinks on board but if they are seen drinking on board they will be invited to get off the trains, he added.

• Like 1

I predicted the response of some posters thinking not getting a beer on a train because of a rape/death of a 13 year old girl that they were the real victims.

If the trajedy was in any way connected to beer sales on trains the reaction would be understandable. The real victims are the people that live under a reactionary, predictably stupid govt. understand now?

Poor victims, a few hours on a train without alcohol, we can't have that, can we?

• Like 1

Perhaps you didn't read the article.

Alcohol consumption will still be allowed...discreetly.

I would consider the victim to be more than unfortunate and I would suggest you reconsider your idea that not being able to buy alcohol on the train is even remotely similar to her fate.

Perhaps you read te article but not properly? "Passengers can bring their alcoholic drinks on board but if they are seen drinking on board they will be invited to get off the trains, he added.

This is Thailand, that wont happen,that would be like enforcing the traffic laws