NSA and FBI 'spied on US Muslims'

webfact

Greenwald: NSA and FBI spied on five Muslim-Americans

WASHINGTON: -- US spy agencies snooped on the emails of five high-profile Muslim Americans in an effort to identify security threats, documents leaked by fugitive ex-NSA contractor Edward Snowden show.

The targets include a lawyer, professor and a political operative, according to a report published in the Intercept.

The Intercept is an online news site overseen by Glenn Greenwald, who helped publish many of Mr Snowden's leaks.

The FBI and NSA said they only spied on Americans when they had probable cause.

"The National Security Agency and FBI have covertly monitored the emails of prominent Muslim-Americans... under secretive procedures intended to target terrorists and foreign spies," according to The Intercept report.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28238932

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-10

• Like 1

Spied on 5 muslims....and 100's of millions of other Americans.

They "spy" on me every time I go through the airport too. Yes, it angers me. On the other hand, Americans are trying to find some balance between security needs and our freedoms. I think we have crossed too many lines but I am not conversant with what is possible with technology and what is too invasive. I can only share my gut reaction. A key for me was "having probable cause". I want required outside agency oversight before targeting any individual.

• Like 2

Good job NSA.

Thank you Mr. Snowden for pointing this out. Good to know the US government is doing their job.

By the way Mr. Snowden, there is a room waiting for you at the ADX Florence high security prison in Colorado. We hope you enjoy your stay for the rest of your life.

Agree the job needs to be done. I can say this without hesitation because of probable cause being cited.

Yes, thank you Mr. Snowden. While I cannot hold him in an honored position, neither do I want him in prison. It's a fine line, granted, but he exposed a serious fault in this area of government. Too many things have been recognized as having been done wrong and are now being addressed as a result of his exposure. We have to be careful not to turn a blind eye to government wrongdoing in the name of "national security" or we cannot preserve the freedoms we say we want to protect.

We have to be careful not to turn a blind eye to government wrongdoing in the name of "national security" or we cannot preserve the freedoms we say we want to protect.

More countries, including '3rd world' countries need to learn this.

• Like 1

Good job NSA.

Thank you Mr. Snowden for pointing this out. Good to know the US government is doing their job.

By the way Mr. Snowden, there is a room waiting for you at the ADX Florence high security prison in Colorado. We hope you enjoy your stay for the rest of your life.

You obviously have a problem with someone who wants to tell the world the truth that we should have been told by our elected representatives. You thank hime for this and condemn him for other news. Why is that?

Even if the people who were spied on weren't involved or arrested for anything, they seem like the kind of people who might be contacted by some less than savory characters.

I once knew a guy who was wanted by the police. They spent considerable time watching me and my house because they knew I knew him. I didn't like it, but it seemed like a pretty logical place to look.

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if they spy on me. I don't have anything to be worried about and they won't spend much time with me I'm sure, BUT while they are at it if they catch one 'shoe bomber' or one 'high school shooter', then I will proudly sacrifice my privacy. If you haven't noticed, this is not the world our grandparents grew up in ---- These same people that the government spies are looking for are not me (and hopefully not you) but they are looking for the ones who have made us have to remove our shoes and belt and be x-rayed everytime we fly. Known or even 'suspected radicals' are worth watching, If they ain't guilty they aren't going to have any problems.

Personally , I HATE those bastards that make me remove my shoes and belt and I WILL sacrifice to catch them. I wish them the best - those spies. Spies, do your job as you see fit, go ahead and check me out (I know you won't spend much time on me) and I will sleep well dreaming about the days when my grand folks would go to town and not even worry about locking the door of the house (and certainly didn't have to remove their shoes to fly...............

• Like 2

They "spy" on me every time I go through the airport too. Yes, it angers me. On the other hand, Americans are trying to find some balance between security needs and our freedoms. I think we have crossed too many lines but I am not conversant with what is possible with technology and what is too invasive. I can only share my gut reaction. A key for me was "having probable cause". I want required outside agency oversight before targeting any individual.

Not me.............. Some of these radicals are so 'slippery' that they can slip past 'probable cause'.. If you don't have anything to hide, why worry.. Today our law enforcers are working with their hands tied so tightly behind their backs, and that is why they can't do their jobs properly. Give-em a break and let them use what the need to use , to keep us safe (hopefully)................

• Like 1

Good job NSA.

You obviously have a problem with someone who wants to tell the world the truth that we should have been told by our elected representatives. You thank hime for this and condemn him for other news. Why is that?

I believe nations, especially the size of the USA, need their secrets and techniques to ensure security of its citizens. Even though we have elected representatives, not all of them need a blank check to know our nations secrets. The standards of a security clearance would probably fail more than half of them.

People cannot have effective security and privacy. Mr. Snowden brought an issue that might need discussion but not for the reasons most people think. In a sense, he has legitimized cyber espionage as a legal tool of the state a thus did the US a favor. At the same time, he has betrayed his oath which he no doubt had to sign an agreement to keep American secrets and for that he has ended any change of freedom for the rest of his life.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good job NSA.

Edward Snowdon. A true patriot. A hero for the american people. Yes, thank you Mr. Snowdon.

Not me.............. Some of these radicals are so 'slippery' that they can slip past 'probable cause'.. If you don't have anything to hide, why worry.. Today our law enforcers are working with their hands tied so tightly behind their backs, and that is why they can't do their jobs properly. Give-em a break and let them use what the need to use , to keep us safe (hopefully)................

Sorry, I have to disagree. It appears you give law enforcement an open check. I support them but if I wanted to live in a police state I would move to the PRC.

• Like 1

Sorry, I have to disagree. It appears you give law enforcement an open check. I support them but if I wanted to live in a police state I would move to the PRC.

And it was one of their own presidents, Benjamin Franklin who said

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A wise men

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

*Messed up quotes deleted*

Yes, Ben was wise, but I need to add correction as he was never a President.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Scott