Work Permit for start up online business

I have just been looking at the details for getting a work permit for a start up online business that will sell advertising to UK and USA citizens, it will have nothing to do with Thailand apart from that I want to live here while I am working.

But all the work permit is about is Thai companys or foreign companys but nothing on sole trader start ups.... has any one got a work permit for this reason yet?

Difficult as now they want to see office and staff - photos and checking it out, where as before you could just pay for 4 staff vs actually employing them and essentially act as a sole trader whilst having all the company fittings. Thailand has yet to come up with anything official to support a foreign sole trader unfortunately. Maybe speak to a local accountant and see what flexibility he/she has, varies with province, although I suspect now its pretty strict, as a primitive guide, expect to pay ~50k formation and 20k-25k first work permit application, plus on going fees/social-security/tax approaching 7-10k pm.

There are few murky shills here that will offer this grey shell company arrangement via PM for 20%-25% net of any invoices,, details almost completely absent, without mentioning how much tax they declare on your behalf (probably 50k minimum), just a heads up to avoid if you havent been spammed already.

Edited by matt111

If she is working legally and has an extension of stay she got from immigration you can get an extension as her dependent after you get married.

Once you get married you would have to go out for a non-o visa to get the extension.

I assume you're older than 50. Then you can get a retirement visa and extension with 800,000 Bt in bank, 80,000 monthly income, or a combination.

Otherwise, ED visa, starting 25,000 Bt yr plus extension every three months.

Or try find a job and be legally employed by someone else (hard)

There is really no other way.

[edit] plus the good suggestion by ubonjoe !

Edited by paz

It's simple. If you want to start a business in Thailand, you do it the way you are forced to do it currently . . . typically 51% Thai shareholders, 4 Thai staff, Tax and VAT paid etc.

I know it's a pain in the ass and inflexible, but until they change the laws, that's the way it has to be done to be "legal". Bitching and moaning that they are inflexible, unfair etc isn't going to change a thing.

There is no provision in Thai law currently for an "online" business and getting a Work Permit, so forget that. It's not at all confusing.

• Like 1

It's simple. If you want to start a business in Thailand, you do it the way you are forced to do it currently . . . typically 51% Thai shareholders, 4 Thai staff, Tax and VAT paid etc.

I know it's a pain in the ass and inflexible, but until they change the laws, that's the way it has to be done to be "legal". Bitching and moaning that they are inflexible, unfair etc isn't going to change a thing.

There is no provision in Thai law currently for an "online" business and getting a Work Permit, so forget that. It's not at all confusing.

And further, its highly unlikely there will ever be a provision for on line business and work permits simply because such a provision would open up a whole new loop hole for visa/WP abuse

• Like 1

personally I wouldn't go throught the cost and hassle of establishing a company, hiring local people, pay a lot for a work permit, pay a lot tax on your income just because you want a work permit.

You are much better of having some other visa (Ed, Retirement, marriage etc) for the start of your business. once you are established, you get very busy and need to hire local people to help you, that's when you can get a company registered and consider getting a work permit.

I have a locally registered company and can tell you that it's a lot of paperwork and quite some cost involved. (ie axcountant to do your books and annual tax return etc)

• Like 1

Are u American? If yes, as far as I know there is a treaty in place which apparently allows a different setup for companies as well as for work permits. An American friend of mine told me that he works legally with WP, has is own company but no employees and no partner. Maybe worth to check it out or maybe one of the members here know more.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Alternatively and until the Labor Department recognises and makes allowances for the new online vocations, OP could just take advantage of that FACT that, provided he keeps his mouth shut and uses a VPN, there's virtually zero chance of his being caught working online illegally. Just get an ED visa and attend Muay Thai or Thai language classes 4 hours a week.

Rumor has it that the Labor Department don't really give much of a toss about it if your situation revolves around foreign client, foreign currency and foreign bank account but I wouldn't pin my ongoing residency on it.

In principle you will need a Work Permit – or start up a Thai limited company with staff etc. etc. – but presumably many does it “under the radar”, not telling anyone (or too many) and keeping low profile…

A bit more easy if you are US-citizen, then you should look up the American-Thai treaty (called something like that)…

Rumor has it that the Labor Department don't really give much of a toss about it if your situation revolves around foreign client, foreign currency and foreign bank account but I wouldn't pin my ongoing residency on it.

Probably right. But the Revenue Department might care, if you spend >= 180d/y in Thailand. Death and taxes..

Thanks for all the replys, I think a business visa is out then, I don't want to be a teacher and I really don't want to put 800,000 baht into a thai bank account for a retirement visa, Maybe I will fly back to the UK and renew my passport it only has a 5 blank pages left in it, then decide when I am in the UK which way to proceed to getting back here.