Are most bars closed this weekend?

SS1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not plan a night in? Don't people have friends round in Chiang Mai? Or does everyone live in a pokey bedsit?

Because it's the first proper weekend for our bunch of new interns and would like to go see how the nightlife is!

here in Rayong it seems the bars are only closed today (Friday) and will be open tomorrow.

Interesting.. wonder if it'll be the same here? At least technically they could start selling after midnight on Saturday.

No they can not. Alcohol can only be sold from 11 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to midnight. Thai law.

you can buy alcohol at any time if you buy over 10 ltrs at a time....that's one box of 12 large bottles and 4 loose bottles....I do every week in my local tescos.

• Like 1

spent the early afternoon in udon today the bars were open...didnt stop as I was driving, then called in to two thai restaurants on the main road near central plaza and both restaurants were selling beer to their customers not even trying to hide it....bottles of chang and leo every where,,,,

Blimey Guys its only a couple of days, by the sounds of some of you a few days off the Ale might be helpful.. Just try not to shake to much blink.png

But it's not really about that , is it?

Most people just want a nice night out, in a pleasant ambience, with the chance of a good meal and a drink or two; then maybe listen to the band, or go on somewhere etc.

You can always get a drink, but who wants to sit in the dark, supping out of coffee mugs and looking over their shoulder? Most places will be shuttered and the streets will be dark and deserted. Totally without charm.

And precisely who gains from all this? Who derives any benefit, spiritual or otherwise, from forcing those of a different way of thinking to their particular religious perceptions?

You may say, "It's only a couple of days" but not everyone has full freedom of choice in their timing. For some, say, holiday makers, those entertaining visitors or in full time employment, this weekend may have been an important date in their pleasure calendar.

• Like 1

Blimey Guys its only a couple of days, by the sounds of some of you a few days off the Ale might be helpful.. Just try not to shake to much blink.png

Most people just want a nice night out, in a pleasant ambience, with the chance of a good meal and a drink or two; then maybe listen to the band, or go on somewhere etc.

You can always get a drink, but who wants to sit in the dark, supping out of coffee mugs and looking over their shoulder? Most places will be shuttered and the streets will be dark and deserted. Totally without charm.

And precisely who gains from all this? Who derives any benefit, spiritual or otherwise, from forcing those of a different way of thinking to their particular religious perceptions?

You may say, "It's only a couple of days" but not everyone has full freedom of choice in their timing. For some, say, holiday makers, those entertaining visitors or in full time employment, this weekend may have been an important date in their pleasure calendar.

It's really very simple. Buy some in the shop and go and have a picnic. Or take some home and get some friends round.

The lack of imagination among Chiang Mai alcoholics is startling.

It's a Buddhist country and they do this all the time, so stop whinging about it or move back to some craphole and buy your Ace lager from Morrisons like a good boy.

• Like 1

Why not plan a night in? Don't people have friends round in Chiang Mai? Or does everyone live in a pokey bedsit?

Even google can't tell me what 'pokey bedsit' means. Translation?xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

A small studio apartment.

Its worse than than as with a bed sit (UK expression) you share a bathroom /toilet with several other units .Bed sits have been outlawed in the Republic of Ireland last year .

It's really very simple. Buy some in the shop and go and have a picnic. Or take some home and get some friends round.

It's a Buddhist country and they do this all the time, so stop whinging about it or move back to some craphole and buy your Ace lager from Morrisons like a good boy.

Actually I've never been to Chiang Mai, never heard of Ace lager, never shopped at Morrisons (wherever that may be) and am certainly not an alcoholic, and as to whether my original home town is a 'craphole' you are certainly not qualified to judge.

My post is a jab at religious bigotry; particularly since I was always led to believe that Buddhism was a particulary tolerant system of personal ethics rather than the unquestionable rule of some all supreme Deity. But thank you for your friendly advice.

Edited by DoctorB
  • Like 1

Your "jab at religious bigotry" is nothing more than a pathetic lack of disrespect for a nations culture.

If you can't find some other way to entertain yourself for a couple of days while the Thais celebrate a holy day - without whinging - then you really don't belong in Thailand.

Edited by Chicog

For those that don't know and perhaps want to go to a nice temple and observe proceedings, from the Chiang Mai Mail:

Friday July 11 is Asarnha Bucha day, one of the holiest days on the Buddhist calendar and a public holiday. Khao Phansa, or the start of the Buddhist Lent or Rains Retreat is the 12. Friday is a public holiday and no alcohol will be sold on either day. Buddhist faithful walk three times around the temple in the evening carrying a lit candle, joss sticks and flowers to honor the day of Buddha's first sermon, and the establishment of the Sangha. On Khao Phansa monks will enter the temple for the three months of the rainy season and many people will abstain from alcohol, smoking or eating meat during this period

Sounds like someone needs to kick off the rainy season!

I accept that this is a Buddhist country, but the rest of your post is a bit off course/inaccurate/missleading!.

Where is the poster talking about 'alcoholics'? The post said; '

"night out, in a pleasant ambience, with the chance of a good meal and a drink or two; then maybe listen to the band, or go on somewhere etc" Where are the 'alcohilics' in this statement?

Where is the "whinging" in the post. It is a statement of his wish/intent. There is no "whinging" See the OED definition below;

whinge Brit. informal

v. (whingeing) complain persistently and peevishly.

Sorry OED = Oxford English Dictionary

• Like 1

I accept that this is a Buddhist country, but the rest of your post is a bit off course/inaccurate/missleading!.

Where is the poster talking about 'alcoholics'? The post said; '

"night out, in a pleasant ambience, with the chance of a good meal and a drink or two; then maybe listen to the band, or go on somewhere etc" Where are the 'alcohilics' in this statement?

Where is the "whinging" in the post. It is a statement of his wish/intent. There is no "whinging" See the OED definition below;

whinge Brit. informal

v. (whingeing) complain persistently and peevishly.

Sorry OED = Oxford English Dictionary

What's missing from that apart from the drink?

Are all the restaurants closed as well? Or is there no "pleasant ambience" without a drink or two? Pity for them if they have to drink to enjoy themselves.

Edited by Chicog

Your comment; "What's missing from that apart from the drink?"

Accuracy would be the answer. You have not answered or directly commented on my questions above! Would you care to do so now?

I assume that you are against drink (alcohol) in all its forms by your comments above. If this is true why are you responding to a question regarding the closing or opening times/days of bars. Surely this subject is of no interest to you unless you are on a crusade to stop people form drinking.! If that is the case please start you own post on your own subject and let the rest of us get on with the subject in hand.

Your "jab at religious bigotry" is nothing more than a pathetic lack of disrespect for a nations culture.

If you can't find some other way to entertain yourself for a couple of days while the Thais celebrate a holy day - without whinging - then you really don't belong in Thailand.

What I said in my post was, "I was always led to believe that Buddhism was a particularly tolerant system of personal ethics". In my experience those who subscribe to such a code of ethics do not normally demand "respect" from others. Respec' is what knife wielding gang-bangers in Sahf London tend to have at the top of their agenda.

I do not disrespect Buddhism in any way. I was simply trying to make the point that those who expressed disappoinment at the frustration of their weekend plans were not simply the alcoholic wasters you seem to imply, but just ordinary frustated human beings.

Please, just relax man, and try to apply to your daily posts some of the tolerance, understanding and compassion that is supposed to be central to Buddhism.

Edited by DoctorB

Accuracy would be the answer. You have not answered or directly commented on my questions above! Would you care to do so now?

I assume that you are against drink (alcohol) in all its forms by your comments above. If this is true why are you responding to a question regarding the closing or opening times/days of bars. Surely this subject is of no interest to you unless you are on a crusade to stop people form drinking.! If that is the case please start you own post on your own subject and let the rest of us get on with the subject in hand.

It's pretty obvious why he's responding ...... to annoy, and so far he's being succesful. Best ignored. Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

It's pretty obvious why he's responding ...... to annoy, and so far he's being succesful. Best ignored.

I agree the post(er) is annoying, I just thought it was worth pointing it out to others!

Very, very bad news. sad.png

This messes up what could have been a great long weekend.

These days it must be horrible being a bar owner, or even restaurant owner, first the curfew, then the strict enforcement of the closing times during the world cup, and now another weekend spoiled.

But of course we are all happy.

Being a bar owner in Buddhist country where alcohol is frowned on must be a bind. biggrin.png

Every time there is either a Buddhist holiday or an election the same people seem to complain about alcohol not being sold - it's not rocket science - it's the same time every year - unless a snap election is called

Now I can understand tourists being impacted by this as they may not know when alcohol sales are banned and if you're only here for 2 weeks and want to chill out then it can be a bind but surely long term residents must know by now when they can and can't buy drinks - it's not difficult and there aren't all that many dry weekends

Also I don't think this weekend is being policed any differently than in the past coup or no coup

• Like 1

Well you assume wrongly, because I like a drink - and more importantly it's not exactly hard to get one in Chiang Mai.

So I really don't understand what all the bleating is about.

Well you assume wrongly, because I like a drink - and more importantly it's not exactly hard to get one in Chiang Mai.

So if you like a drink why are you bleating and what are your answers to my other questions? (as if anyone is now bothered! as you have proved you are only posting for the sake of bleating)

It's the white man's burden don'tcha know.

• Like 1