UN expert rebuffs death penalty calls: Train murder

webfact

Who is this <deleted> PEEK, To many do gooders think they know it all, problem is NOT enough of the silent majority who want these pricks done away with get up and voice their opinions where its needed to be heard....

LETS BE HEARD....

We could do with Suthep on the case then?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the victim is under age, the suggested punishment is absolutely just - but only when there is 100% certainty that they committed the crime. Rape of an "adult"...I'm not so sure. Probably.

Problem is even when a conviction is "100% certain" is can still be a mistake. Unfortunate that a miscarriage of justice can't be put right if the person convicted of it has been executed.

History is littered with wrongful convictions which have been overturned years later.

History is also littered with victims who never got the chance of proper justice or the life that they had before.

They are the ones who need sympathy and understanding and NOT the convicted criminals.

• Like 1

"UN opposed the use of capital punishment because it goes against human rights, particularly the right to life." Screw that. He gave up his right to life when he took hers. People lose rights when they go to prison... should people not be sent to prison? " Do you want justice or do you want revenge?" Well, hanging him would seem to provide both. May not deter others, but sure takes him out of the mix for future rapes and murders. And in this case there is no doubt at all he did it. Karma, neh?

they all ways go on about the right of life and human rights, this young girl was raped killed thrown out of a train window,where was her rights, and the suffering the parents and this young girls family must endure for the rest of there life, some one should ask the UN expert to talk to her family about the death penalty and get there opinion

Do you want justice or do you want revenge?

In a civilized society there is no place for revenge.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Only a victim or their family could exact revenge, the society delivers punishment and tries to assure safety for the rest of society.

• Like 1

Rubbish...

A well thought out and reasoned reply there.

I don't agree with capital punishment but not for all the same reasons as Mr Peek. That's just my opinion.

This terrible rape and murder has happened and nothing can take that back. It's for the courts to decide on the sentence although it should be borne in mind that this is a Buddhist country.

The other part of this is the ongoing problem of murder, rape and other crimes here and around the world. I do agree with the idea that capital punishment doesn't deter particularly in cases of a sexual nature. We've all been young and for men in particular we will remember how that can cloud our judgement. Fortunately most of us don't go that far. For some though that urge is much greater and the affect of drink and drugs in this case adds to the problem. I'm sure many of us have been drunk before but we never get this far out of hand but for some that happens. I very much doubt this man thought through the consequences of what he was doing. He's probably wishing he hadn't done it, now that it's too late. If capital punishment worked it would probably show in crime rates which as far as I know it doesn't.

We can't help this poor girl now but we can help her parents and we can try to make it less likely to happen again. Stricter rules on drinking and employment checks on the railway and other places will help but there is a need t educate people from an early age right from wrong.

His reply was direct and accurate, and Maybe more people will agree with him than you

What limits human thoughts to cut off 'human rights' as soon one is dead? If it was a piece of shit.

Who has the right of setting (all) Human(s) Rights?

Why that piece of shit who murdered replaces the dead as 'dignified human being'?

My suggestion to the problem of rape and for those that are against capital punishment is:

Cut it off!

This will save on prison costs, please those against capital punishment, and the guy will never be able to do it again. Society will be protected. Problem solved.

My suggestion to the problem of rape and for those that are against capital punishment is:

Cut it off!

This will save on prison costs, please those against capital punishment, and the guy will never be able to do it again. Society will be protected. Problem solved.

Not quite. The guy would become even more crude, and use tools and god knows what to get his own back... he would revert to more sickening events.

• Like 1

" "Even if a person does heinous crimes, they still have the right to life," Peek said. "

No Man, it's wrong, he hasn't the right to live. He will do it again, and again, and hope next time he may do it against some your relatives. Morron.

• Like 1

Wake up Peak. You lose your "humans rights" the second you rape or kill any-one, especially a minor. Poor kid lost her life and you talk about rights? Its not teaching the kid boundaries, its setting a message that any scumbag that does this loses his rights and is set for hard and harsh punishment that includes the death penalty. Go and protect wild orchids or something, you have no clue.

• Like 2

The best punishment would be to set him free...

As tempted as I am to agree with this, - 'punishment by a mob of vigilantes' as would inevitably happen, is not the answer either. The UN expert is right but it doesn't help the family of this poor girl now, or satisfy community anger. - This rape was a sickening act of inhumanity to an innocent victim. The rapist needs a very public trial soon, and then sent to a maximum security prison for life, without parole. Maybe he would be killed in prison, but that's better than the mob approach,and it would send a strong signal to the community.

Rubbish...

A well thought out and reasoned reply there.

I don't agree with capital punishment but not for all the same reasons as Mr Peek. That's just my opinion.

This terrible rape and murder has happened and nothing can take that back. It's for the courts to decide on the sentence although it should be borne in mind that this is a Buddhist country.

The other part of this is the ongoing problem of murder, rape and other crimes here and around the world. I do agree with the idea that capital punishment doesn't deter particularly in cases of a sexual nature. We've all been young and for men in particular we will remember how that can cloud our judgement. Fortunately most of us don't go that far. For some though that urge is much greater and the affect of drink and drugs in this case adds to the problem. I'm sure many of us have been drunk before but we never get this far out of hand but for some that happens. I very much doubt this man thought through the consequences of what he was doing. He's probably wishing he hadn't done it, now that it's too late. If capital punishment worked it would probably show in crime rates which as far as I know it doesn't.

We can't help this poor girl now but we can help her parents and we can try to make it less likely to happen again. Stricter rules on drinking and employment checks on the railway and other places will help but there is a need t educate people from an early age right from wrong.

Come on. Get real! We've all been young? Yeah, did we rape and throw a girl off a train? NO, WE DIDN'T. He chose to take alochol and drugs.. well I never took drugs... never in my life, and I like a beer. But I do neither become abusive nor does rape cross my mind. Of course, he didn't think the consequences... he didn't care. And that is the whole gist between the normal and the abnormal. Get rid of him I say, despite your postulation that he now feels remorse. He didn't look particularly remorseful on any pics I saw! As for education on right or wrong... it is clearly obvious that this animal is beyond that - he raped 3 - NOT 1. Lord knows if he's killed before. Why do you choose to defend him and his rights...?? He threw those rights away when he murdered and raped. DID HE NOT?

When you've stopped frothing at the mouth and getting excited about someone being executed perhaps you'd like to read my post again and tell me where I've defended him or his rights.

When the victim is under age, the suggested punishment is absolutely just - but only when there is 100% certainty that they committed the crime. Rape of an "adult"...I'm not so sure. Probably.

Problem is even when a conviction is "100% certain" is can still be a mistake. Unfortunate that a miscarriage of justice can't be put right if the person convicted of it has been executed.

History is littered with wrongful convictions which have been overturned years later.

History is also littered with victims who never got the chance of proper justice or the life that they had before.

They are the ones who need sympathy and understanding and NOT the convicted criminals.

I think he's referring to wrongly convicted criminals.

Cut it off!

Not quite. The guy would become even more crude, and use tools and god knows what to get his own back... he would revert to more sickening events.

I don't often agree with you as you can probably see from my posts above but I believe you're right on this one.

It's often seen as a solution on threads regarding paedophiles. 'Castrate them. Problem solved' We aren't dogs, we're higher primates like monkeys and apes. Sexual drive may or may not be affected and even then may only be decreased not eliminated. Not all sexual crimes are based solely on physical intercourse and often it's the feeling of power over another person that is the main driver. Chemical castration is sometimes offered to those who volunteer for it as not all sex offenders are happy with their actions. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't. I believe this is often the case if the previously mentioned dominance is the key factor.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who make comments based on one crime and their view of how bad it is without taking into account the affect it has on victims and families in that case or the wider consequences for other potential victims.

Edited by kimamey

You all seem to miss the Point

Look at it from an other angle, when you make the death penalty legal, you give the authorities the right to legally take your life.

Do you trust the authorities so much , especially in Thailand, that you would wish them such right?

Cut it off!

I don't often agree with you as you can probably see from my posts above but I believe you're right on this one.

It's often seen as a solution on threads regarding paedophiles. 'Castrate them. Problem solved' We aren't dogs, we're higher primates like monkeys and apes. Sexual drive may or may not be affected and even then may only be decreased not eliminated. Not all sexual crimes are based solely on physical intercourse and often it's the feeling of power over another person that is the main driver. Chemical castration is sometimes offered to those who volunteer for it as not all sex offenders are happy with their actions. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't. I believe this is often the case if the previously mentioned dominance is the key factor.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who make comments based on one crime and their view of how bad it is without taking into account the affect it has on victims and families in that case or the wider consequences for other potential victims.

I don't infer you agree or disagree; I believe we are both able to take retrospective thinking and sit quietly, and consider opinion.

As you rightly identified, just, it is not all based upon the physical act, and is quite often based upon the 'power' feeling, which was taken away in childhood, likely by a dominant bastardiser themself. Thailand has such an ill-mannered 'learned behaviour' problem, going back more than eons.

Example here, if it is not removed: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=294879034020895&set=vb.100004964015487&type=2&theater

Purely an example of learned behaviour, don't you agree? Sickening, yes.... from our Western point of view.

Is she committing a crime? Not in Thai eyes... it is 'normal' behaviour, as every Thai I have asked has said so.

The child a victim? Not in Thai society. Where could we take it from here?

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 1

Any country that allows the UN or an UN 'Expert' influence their internal affairs does not have a government that is looking out for its people... The UN should die a quick natural death and just go away in all matters...

• Like 1

Well the UN says

The recent tragedy of a 13-year-old girl being raped and murdered on an overnight train to Bangkok sparked mass outrage on social media, with people calling for capital punishment against sex offenders.

The UNFPA representative, however, said the UN opposed the use of capital punishment because it goes against human rights, particularly the right to life.

I wonder what they are going to do about the dead girl.

Did she not have the same rite they claim the killer has?

Not taking a position on the issue as a whole but there are times when death is the answer.

Ask the UN if they would like to pick up the bill for a lifetime of free room and board for people like him?

If they say no why should Thailand?wai.gif

Edited by northernjohn

You all seem to miss the Point

Look at it from an other angle, when you make the death penalty legal, you give the authorities the right to legally take your life.

Do you trust the authorities so much , especially in Thailand, that you would wish them such right?

If it had been my child I would have demanded it.

I have lost a boy through an accident. Not a heinous crime such as this and it is not an easy burden to carry with you. Every day knowing you will never see your child again.

Then to have people tell you that you should help pay his room and board for a period of time is an insult.

I sincerely hope you never experience the reality of losing a child. To do so in such a manor would double the pain.

• Like 1

Cut it off!

I don't infer you agree or disagree; I believe we are both able to take retrospective thinking and sit quietly, and consider opinion.

As you rightly identified, just, it is not all based upon the physical act, and is quite often based upon the 'power' feeling, which was taken away in childhood, likely by a dominant bastardiser themself. Thailand has such an ill-mannered 'learned behaviour' problem, going back more than eons.

Example here, if it is not removed: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=294879034020895&set=vb.100004964015487&type=2&theater

Purely an example of learned behaviour, don't you agree? Sickening, yes.... from our Western point of view.

Is she committing a crime? Not in Thai eyes... it is 'normal' behaviour, as every Thai I have asked has said so.

Not a pretty video. On the other hand the child's physical reactions did not imply that he was feeling pain.

Now as to weather the video was a set up or not I can not say. I know in my own Childhood I was physically abused and as such I learned that it was a pointless exercise in child rearing and never hit my kids. This has nothing what so ever to do with the raping and killing. Their is no justification for it.

Cut it off!

I would like to mention here one point that every one seems to not be considering.

what if it is the actual killing that real turns him on.

Studies show that the death penalty does not stop people from committing crimes. They also show that life in prison is a bigger preventative against murder when it is a planed murder not the normal spur of the moment or accident ones that make up most of the murders.

• Like 1

Cut it off!

I would like to mention here one point that every one seems to not be considering.

what if it is the actual killing that real turns him on.

Studies show that the death penalty does not stop people from committing crimes. They also show that life in prison is a bigger preventative against murder when it is a planed murder not the normal spur of the moment or accident ones that make up most of the murders.

If it is the killing itself that 'turns' the killler on, then that is where I believe we enter the world of the 'serial' killer. The likes of Lopez, Bundy and West etc. (and possibly the likes of Pol Pot and even Hitler, although the latter didn't commit the crimes on a personal level).

I believe this train incident was a drug crazed lead to a killing, as if the perpretrator/s enjoyed the 'kill' itself then the 2 previous victims woulld not be here to come forward. Despite that, it is a despicable occurrance, and should be dealt with in the most serious way possible. Take him down.

Cut it off!

Why is that old lady NOT in jail? How would SHE feel if somebody did that to her. My friends 9 year old daughter wandered in while I was watching and she cannot understand it either.

I would be quite happy to use the stick on her.

It does NOT happen in my house nor in my neighbours house and they are all Thai.