Thailand and You - is it Home to you?

David48

Thailand and You - is it Home to you?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to be married to a thai. Used to work in Bangkok

Now married to an Indonesian, working between the Uk And in the phillipines with her.

Will never live or work in Thailand full time again if I can avoid it, but wife and I will be in Bangkok next week for a few days, we enjoy it for a quick get away from time to time. We enjoy the freedom and entertainment / recreation choices. But could never live there again, I can't stand the arrogance of the Thais and it's gets to me after a while, especially in the work place.

Edited by Grindting

I LOVE THAI AND THAILAND GOID OR BAD THAILAND IS MY HOME . IF LAW ALLOWED I WOULD BECOME THAI NATIONAL .. I LOVE THE PEOPLE, THE CULTURE , THE LIFE! I have travelled extensively in the world and nowhere other than Thailand is the place for me . I am retiring there at the end of 2014!

Too much xenophobia here for me

I agree. Whatever the topic there is one guy who always writes, "Wall ya all cain't buy land there and in Amerericur cars are cheaper. Or start a topic on Vegemite or fried Mars bars or some other tasteless fish; fried with no peppers. Jeesh.

• Like 1

It can only be considered a home, if you have the right to live here.

Home is the place they have to let you in, when you go there.

This rounds it up for me.

If my wife dies I will be homeless.

I have been living ion Thailand full time since 2001 and working here on and off for 8 years before that.

I married my Thai lady back in 2000 and our son was born in Nakhon Sawan 10 years ago next month just about the time we were finishing the house build.

In my 70 years I have lived and worked in 38 countries and apart from gowing up as a boy in the UK these 10 years in this house are the longest I have ever lived anywhere.

As far as I am concerned Thailand is my home and if they want to get rid of me they will have to drag me kicking and screaming to the plane. If they do that I might just die on them out of spite.

The house and land belong to my wife and in turn to our son as indeed they should as my wife has put up with me for 21 years and my son for nearly 10 years. It is my gift to them.

After 70 years I still haven't figured out how to take the house and land with me when I die and it is not going to be any use to me then anyway. I will still be here after I am dead with my remains in a pot at the spirit house and my spirit will be watching out for my family.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

The upside of being retired is that I can do more or less what I want when I want.

The downside is no weekends off as all the days are weekends to me.

Similar to you without any kids.

Re your weekends, reminds me of two older guys sitting chatting, one says , my wife asked what I was going to do today and I answered 'nothing'. That's what you did yesterday she said.

Well I repled ' I haven't finished yet " smile.png

• Like 2

I LOVE THAI AND THAILAND GOID OR BAD THAILAND IS MY HOME . IF LAW ALLOWED I WOULD BECOME THAI NATIONAL .. I LOVE THE PEOPLE, THE CULTURE , THE LIFE! I have travelled extensively in the world and nowhere other than Thailand is the place for me . I am retiring there at the end of 2014!

The law does allow it if you qualify, but begs another question, let's suppose they did make it "easy" would you be prepared to give your existing nationality and passport for the sake of a Thai passport if so required ?

How can Thailand be your home, if you aren't even here yet?

Just saying, and by the way could you speak up a little bit next time.

How can it be home when you cannot as a foreigner have your own home here? It is home to my kids though - of a sort - but not the same sort as a home would be were I Thai. But then ?I suppose it all depends on your definition. If it's wherever I lay my hat and coat, that may from time to time be the toilet cubicle form time to time, so I prefer a more long lasting and emotional attachment to my definition.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

if you think you own a home be aware that you own it only temporarily. you lose it once they take you to the crematorium or the graveyard.

No you pass it on to your children or someone else you love.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I can always find something to do to pass the time. One of the nicest things is getting up early, watching the dawn break and the world or at least my little bit coming to life. Watching the butterflies and the roses and swearing the grass because it grew another couple of inches while I wasn't watching . All this with a cup of coffee and a peaceful life.

It can't be beaten.

Do you mean I waste my time with a happy hour, watching the Sun go down, the ladies coming into work @ Soi Cowboy ... watching those butterflies waft by?

All this with a pint of ...

^^ just joshing ... laugh.png

Sunrise at the Farm ....

Edited by David48

I can always find something to do to pass the time. One of the nicest things is getting up early, watching the dawn break and the world or at least my little bit coming to life. Watching the butterflies and the roses and swearing the grass because it grew another couple of inches while I wasn't watching . All this with a cup of coffee and a peaceful life.

It can't be beaten.

Do you mean I waste my time with a happy hour, watching the Sun go down, the ladies coming into work @ Soi Cowboy ... watching those butterflies waft by?

All this with a pint of ...

^^ just joshing ... laugh.png

Sunrise at the Farm ....

I envy you in a way. You seem to have a plentiful supply of what we are missing here.

Water.

I have been living ion Thailand full time since 2001 and working here on and off for 8 years before that.

I married my Thai lady back in 2000 and our son was born in Nakhon Sawan 10 years ago next month just about the time we were finishing the house build.

In my 70 years I have lived and worked in 38 countries and apart from gowing up as a boy in the UK these 10 years in this house are the longest I have ever lived anywhere.

As far as I am concerned Thailand is my home and if they want to get rid of me they will have to drag me kicking and screaming to the plane. If they do that I might just die on them out of spite.

The house and land belong to my wife and in turn to our son as indeed they should as my wife has put up with me for 21 years and my son for nearly 10 years. It is my gift to them.

After 70 years I still haven't figured out how to take the house and land with me when I die and it is not going to be any use to me then anyway. I will still be here after I am dead with my remains in a pot at the spirit house and my spirit will be watching out for my family.

The upside of being retired is that I can do more or less what I want when I want.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Nope, it likely never will be. I live here most of the year. I do my best not to flame those believing Thailand is a paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

one man's sh*tty place is another man's paradise.

Ok, answer this - when you touch down, which airport really feels like home ?

Suvarnabhumi or Heathrow (or other)?

Thats a good and valid point. For me, they both do for different reasons. LHR as I walk out of the terminal and the cold air hits you, that familiar smell in the air and everything around is so familiar and comforting in lots of different ways.

Likewise, when walking out of Swamppy, the blast of hot air, the almost instant feeling of freedom and relaxation is comforting, as I head to the hills and my quiet retreat. Worlds apart in so many ways but both a sense of home. ( for me anyway)

Sadly I have changed from staying in Thailkand year on year to over-wintering in Thailand now.

Personal circumstances dictate this will be the case for at least a couple of years.

On the other hand, I hope to have plenty more Thai fun in the future :)

Ok, answer this - when you touch down, which airport really feels like home ?

Suvarnabhumi or Heathrow (or other)?

Thats a good and valid point. For me, they both do for different reasons. LHR as I walk out of the terminal and the cold air hits you, that familiar smell in the air and everything around is so familiar and comforting in lots of different ways.

Likewise, when walking out of Swamppy, the blast of hot air, the almost instant feeling of freedom and relaxation is comforting, as I head to the hills and my quiet retreat. Worlds apart in so many ways but both a sense of home. ( for me anyway)

Fishy digit ... great question.

CharlieH's reply echoes mine.

Similar to you without any kids.

Re your weekends, reminds me of two older guys sitting chatting, one says , my wife asked what I was going to do today and I answered 'nothing'. That's what you did yesterday she said.

Well I repled ' I haven't finished yet " smile.png

It can't be beaten.

me too heres the other nights sunset

• Like 1