NCPO to work with interim government

Lite Beer

NCPO to work with interim government
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prayuth unveils plan for reform council and legislative assembly

An interim government to be formed no later than September will work in conjunction with the National Council for Peace and Order, which will continue to exercise power in a counterbalancing manner under a temporary charter consisting of no more than 50 articles, the NCPO chief said yesterday.

The government will perform the administrative role of running the country, while the NCPO will handle security, Army commander and junta head General Prayuth Chan-ocha said in his televised weekly address.

Occasional joint meetings will be held when necessary, with advice possibly given to the interim government by the NCPO with a view to its being put into action.

But there would be "limitations" in the ad-hoc charter when it comes to solving the numerous problems facing the country efficiently and quickly, he warned.

"If there are normal [democratic] solutions that are wanted by many sides put in place in the covenant, then problems cannot be solved. The NCPO needs an opportunity and the tools to work this all out," he added.

On the question of reforms, which will commence after ongoing reconciliatory projects are complete, a group of 550 people will be selected from all walks of life and professions to work on 11 key problematic issues. Another group of 380 representing the 76 provinces, excluding Bangkok - five from each province - will be nominated later, before they are cut down to 76.

The group of 550 people and the 76 provincial representatives will then be reduced to a total of 250 to tackle 11 groups of problems that have been identified.

The conclusive general agendas from this so-called reform council will be forwarded to the constitution drafting assembly and the interim legislative assembly to promulgate a new permanent charter and relevant laws for future use, the junta chief said.

As to the reconciliation projects, Prayuth called on those with differing political views to first "open themselves up" by learning to live with people with opposite thinking.

"If this cannot be done, there will be no going forward, even when reconciliatory songs are played every day. If you don't open yourselves up, nothing can be fixed. How can everyone live together from now on?" he said.

Prayuth also talked about the NCPO's plans to overhaul state enterprises by setting up a so-called 'Superboard' to work on several issues engulfing those agencies.

Issues that need to be tackled include transparency, improvement of public services without focusing on only making profits for themselves, financial stability for certain loss-making agencies, and a master plan to prevent duplication of work and financial extravagancy.

During his address, he also expressed condolences over the recent rape and murder of a young girl on a train by a State Railway of Thailand employee, and called on the media not to feature provocative content or images in their coverage of the case.

On large-scale projects, including the water and flood-management schemes, the general said this year's plan had been laid out, while the budget plan and future projects for next year were being discussed, possibly with more financial resources needed.

He said the long-term, costly water and flood-management programme would be incorporated into the 12th and 13th national economic plans, covering the next five and 10 years, respectively.

Prayuth also said the NCPO had travelled abroad to countries such as India and welcomed visiting officials from nations such as Myanmar.

Thai and Myanmar generals had discussed further bilateral cooperation in regard to the accommodation of refugees on the border, and future repatriation with refugees' human rights protected.

Other issues discussed concerned the Rohingya people and an agreement not to aid or shelter armed groups based in either Thailand or Myanmar, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-to-work-with-interim-government-30238334.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-12

• Like 2

Doing a great job.

Things will speed up once there is a government in place to take some of the workload.

We need the NCPO there to mediate between what is good and bad for the future, while politicians will certainly argue and slow progress the NCPO can then step in and make the decision.

• Like 2

I'm hoping that somewhere in the regulations under the main charter items there is a law which says that:

- Recruitment for any government / semi-government positions, regardless of level, department, etc., must be much more professional and all recruitment subject to regular audit from an outside body.

- All promotions are based totally on proven capability and displayed high past performance, and subject to regular audit from an outside body. Plus somewhere in the wording of this it states very clearly that the old systems of the oldest person or the longest serving person automatically gets the promotion is now totally outlawed.

• Like 1

Doing a great job.

Things will speed up once there is a government in place to take some of the workload.

We need the NCPO there to mediate between what is good and bad for the future, while politicians will certainly argue and slow progress the NCPO can then step in and make the decision.

More likely the unelected government will simply rubber stamp the NCPO's decisions?

You mean just like the last elected government rubber stamped Thaksin's decisions? OK..

Still living in the past are you? Time to move on.

The NCPO have already said they will still be the final decision makers so what do you think the purpose of the selected government will be other than to try and legitimise the current situation?

• Like 1

Doing a great job.

More likely the unelected government will simply rubber stamp the NCPO's decisions?

You mean just like the last elected government rubber stamped Thaksin's decisions? OK..

Still living in the past are you? Time to move on.

The NCPO have already said they will still be the final decision makers so what do you think the purpose of the selected government will be other than to try and legitimise the current situation?

Still 10 times better than the last elected government who refused to rule democratically, it is you that should move on.

OR have it your way and have them all-Thaksin-Yingluck and the PTP reinstated, a joke.

• Like 1

Doing a great job.

No different....the last government rubber stamped Thaksins decision which are good for Thaksin only.

This rubber stamps decisions that are good for Thai people and the country.

Gen Prayuth says NCPO to advise interim government
By Digital Content

14051385595917-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, July 12 -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), formed in the wake of the May 22 military takeover, would continue to function and offer advice to the interim government which will be established soon, said NCPO head and army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Speaking during his weekly TV address on Friday night, Gen Prayuth said the interim government will be empowered to administer the country while the NCPO will be “responsible for and give advice” to it.

He said the authority of NCPO and that of the government would have equitable check-and-balance mechanisms, with the government having more prominence on national administration.

The NCPO would have more say in national security affairs.

Cooperation between the two bodies would be based on consultations, joint meetings, exchanges of information and other forms of meetings when needed, he said.

As for the Provisional Constitution, Gen Prayuth said it would have not more than 50 Articles.

Gen Prayuth said the Provisional Constitution would stipulate that a government to be established in September 2014 would perform its duties expediently and effectively in order to rectify many problems so that it may yield results corresponding to the hopes of the Thai people.

"There may be some limitations in the provisional constitution. But only because if national administration is carried out in a normal framework, many problems will remain unresolved and this would not be beneficial to anyone. The NCPO should be given time, opportunity and tools to function," he said.

On the national reform council, Gen Prayuth said he wanted to see that every sector prepares for sending representatives to apply as members of the Reform Council.

"We would like all sectors to arrange for representatives to apply for membership to the Reform Council selection process in Phase 2. In this process, we have classified 11 groups, totaling about 550 persons. Then 5 applicants from each of the 76 provinces will be selected. These additional 380 persons will be cut down to 76 persons (quota of 1 person per province), and then added to the 550 to make 630 persons. This amount will be pared down to 250 persons in order to be divided into 11 groups."

Expressing his worry over reconciliation among people in the country, one of the chief reasons for NCPO in staging the coup, Gen Prayuth said it is impossible to reform in an absence of reconciliation.

"All parties must find common ground in order to find a way out of conflict in the immediate and long term. We need to determine the cause of conflict and means to to resolve it. If no one agrees, it is not possible to move forward," he said.

He added that one must accept differences, whether they are personal preferences or opposing viewpoints.

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-12

Doing a great job.

As opposed to a sort of elected government or caretaker one simply rubber stamping a convicted criminal fugitive's decisions?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Doing a great job.

As opposed to a sort of elected government or caretaker one simply rubber stamping a convicted criminal fugitive's decisions?

You guys really need to get with it,there is a new power in play. Thanksin, PTP are long gone for the time being.

Get with the new game.

Edited by Thailand

When they say "work with interim government" they mean "control interim government" judging by the rest of the article anyway. The Shinawatra dynasty might be finished (although I doubt that) but there is a new dynasty in town. It will be different but no better. Prayuth has absolute power and according to Lord Acton's dictum "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

I bet you will still be able to see the General's mouth move when the new Government speaks. He will have his hand up their backs?

Also a way to start distancing the junta from as a responsible party?

Who are more important the 550 or the, 380 from the 76 provinces that will be cut down to 76? The 76 I would have thought be a collective of the representatives of Thailand? Even when they cut it down to 250, only 76 will represent some form of elected representation of Thai society? 174 will be the Junta. Democracy at work?

And "Superboards" to be established to help run existing Government agencies? another level of Government/Junta interference?

The General also highlighting the recent atrocity on the young girl, with him sending his condolence to the family. But also highlighting the media to not highlighting such incidences as they may stir up too much emotion in the community. Why bring this up in a announcement on the nations change over? Maybe so too take your mind off the changeover?

Water mitigation? So whats happening? I heard the committee has found Moses and were going to use him to stop the flooding in Bangkok? But really incorporating into years 5 and 10, for a matter that was highlighted in 2006 and had a plan developed by their leading flood mitigation expert in 2007, seems to be saying this is not really that important. I think they will need some one greater than Moses to hold back flood waters and get out of this one.

Why wouldn't you want Myanmar on your side when you are deciding on Trafficking of people. Any country will shine better then Myanmar in this area. Another great deflection.

Its still my way or the highway approach.

I still get this feeling that everything is still superficial.

Maybe the 250 will stay in place as a way to beat the problem of Thailand representing itself. The problem of 174 is that there may be 174 agenda's and biases? without out the 76 provinces truly represented. This is what Suthep wanted?

Still no debate.

Still sanctioned press with all articles having to meet the criteria of the junta?

The new Government to only have one party? No opposition?

The Junta's spin doctors are earning their keep?

Overall the General has tackled some of the superficial aspects of Thai society that have been neglected but carry popular opinion in what has been done without vote buying. Now at the serious part of the coup, how to hand back what they took over.

It doesn't sound as though they are ready to let go, particularly with the 300 million baht to upgrade Govt. House?

Doing a great job.

You guys really need to get with it,there is a new power in play. Thanksin, PTP are long gone for the time being.

Get with the new game.

Yours is the new game. You have jumped from defending the PTP at all costs to your new game -attacking those who are in favour of the reforms and the general.

re cap.

1. your stance was to attack anyone who opposed the Thaksin elected government.

2. changed a little to attacking anyone who supported Suthep.

3 slight change to state you were not in favour with Thaksin but wanted democracy.

4 Had to have new elections to be democratic

5 Army came along---not elected, so it had to be no good, because in your eyes not elected means not democratic

6 Now your shy about the revelations found about PTP, and attack the army or anyone supporting them.

7 Have to see the next twist in your stance.

Majority of posters that you think are wrong, opposed the PTP because of ??? you know why.

Now the army are doing what they can in a short space of time, most of us welcome this.

• Like 2

Interesting that the Thai and Burmese Juntas have discussed repatriation of refugees.

Little hope for those poor sods that are "repatriated" then...

Is that the price for the Burmese Generals support?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG

September nicely time for Prayuth retirement and assuming the interim PM role. Everything falling into places with planning as early as 2010. With everything meticously planned, failure is not an option.

And ???? take it your not liking this new control (for the better) want to turn the clock back ??? lets have elections now and have the S##t hit the fan, you enjoy that ??? if not live with it until it turns out not to be good then we will all be bashing the same theme, so for now give it a breather.

No different....the last government rubber stamped Thaksins decision which are good for Thaksin only.

I'm curious what the qualifications were for your position as spokesman for Thailand and all Thai people. I regret I didn't see the recruiting advert, I would have applied just out of curiosity. I presume it was competitive and has good remuneration?

I admit fully that I do not understand this sort of reaction. You do realise you are saying that you fully favour rubber-stamp assemblies so long as they are your rubber-stamp assemblies, right? Why do you favour rubber-stamp assemblies? Of any kind? Being a rubber-stamp assembly is exactly how the last government landed us in this predicament, and now you want to go right to the same system again, only on the other side of the coin.

Why? Do you not think that EXACTLY the same danger exists for the next rubber-stamp assembly as the last few including Yingluck's? The last rubber-stamp assembly before Yingluck ended up with 100 dead, four times Yingluck's toll. I don't get your response at all.

Edited by wandasloan

I'm curious what the qualifications were for your position as spokesman for Thailand and all Thai people. I regret I didn't see the recruiting advert, I would have applied just out of curiosity. I presume it was competitive and has good remuneration?

I admit fully that I do not understand this sort of reaction. You do realise you are saying that you fully favour rubber-stamp assemblies so long as they are your rubber-stamp assemblies, right? Why do you favour rubber-stamp assemblies? Of any kind? Being a rubber-stamp assembly is exactly how the last government landed us in this predicament, and now you want to go right to the same system again, only on the other side of the coin.

Why? Do you not think that EXACTLY the same danger exists for the next rubber-stamp assembly as the last few including Yingluck's? The last rubber-stamp assembly before Yingluck ended up with 100 dead, four times Yingluck's toll. I don't get your response at all.

I must admit not to have the correct figures at hand, but I think that in the last rubber-stamp assembly before Ms. Yingluck's we only had 20 dead or so. Maybe have to ask former PM Somchai.

I must admit not to have the correct figures at hand, but I think that in the last rubber-stamp assembly before Ms. Yingluck's we only had 20 dead or so. Maybe have to ask former PM Somchai.

There was a rubber-stamp assembly between Somchai and Yingluck. It wasn't a rubber-stamp for Thaksin, either, nor was the one before Somchai. Since 2006, when the rubber-stamp assembly resumed in Thailand, there hasn't been a successful one, or admirable. I simply don't get the concept that rubber-stamping the military is good, rubber-stamping Thaksin is bad.

Rubber-stamp assembly to me is Burma and North Korea and Sarit Thanarat, and horrible. I can *see* an argument that an elected rubber-stamp assembly is better than appointed or gerrymandered, but I don't agree with it. What I don't see is the claim that one is good, another is bad. Rubber-stamping the tyrant, whatever his/her name, is despicable and while I am obviously not the spokesperson for the country (he has posted above) I don't personally feel it is ever good for the country to have a rubber-stamp assembly. Ever.

There was a rubber-stamp assembly between Somchai and Yingluck. It wasn't a rubber-stamp for Thaksin, either, nor was the one before Somchai. Since 2006, when the rubber-stamp assembly resumed in Thailand, there hasn't been a successful one, or admirable. I simply don't get the concept that rubber-stamping the military is good, rubber-stamping Thaksin is bad.

Rubber-stamp assembly to me is Burma and North Korea and Sarit Thanarat, and horrible. I can *see* an argument that an elected rubber-stamp assembly is better than appointed or gerrymandered, but I don't agree with it. What I don't see is the claim that one is good, another is bad. Rubber-stamping the tyrant, whatever his/her name, is despicable and while I am obviously not the spokesperson for the country (he has posted above) I don't personally feel it is ever good for the country to have a rubber-stamp assembly. Ever.

I think between the appointed Gen. Surayut government and the former PM Somchai government we still had another one, the one with the late PM Samak (of awfull cooking fame).

Now of course if you feel the need to throw in the Abhisit government into this lot of basket cases ...

So if you when you say some Thai governments were rubber-stamp ones and go on about associating that with Myanmar, NK and so, it would seem you give all the reasons why Thailand really needs reforms, even if forced.

May I suggest once more a 15 year UN occupation to guide the education of a new generation of Thai voters, those now in kindergarten ?

May I suggest once more a 15 year UN occupation to guide the education of a new generation of Thai voters, those now in kindergarten ?

Even the people who claim a military rubber stamp is brilliant are dealing with the real world. If you have no interest in the topic, why not just pass on instead of seeding it with salt?

Even the people who claim a military rubber stamp is brilliant are dealing with the real world. If you have no interest in the topic, why not just pass on instead of seeding it with salt?

rubber stamp government, confusion on which government to label rubber stamp and real world?

Maybe you just gave a very good reason why inviting the UN to take care of things may be a good idea. Just keeping on squabbling on unimportant details and further delaying the reforms needed to get a truly democratic system seems like trying to prevent progress.

Maybe your remark was only slightly off, maybe you were thinking about rubbing salt in wounds as a sound medical solution ?