Israel is using a sledgehammer to crack nuts

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Israel is using a sledgehammer to crack nuts
The Nation 

Mounting death and injury toll among Palestinians risks further alienating the world community

If all the wars and conflict around the world over these past centuries teaches anything is that how the war is fought will determine how the peace is unfold.

Of course, this logic doesn't apply for the ongoing bloodshed in Gaza where Israeli jet fighters pounded Hamas targets relentlessly since Tuesday in retaliation for the flimsy rocket attacks launched by the Palestinian group and its allies.

More than 120 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 1,000 injured. Not all the victims are Hamas, by the way. By Friday, at least 22 of the victims were reportedly children. No Israeli deaths had been reported.

One can always make the argument that it was Hamas who threw the first stone and Israel was merely responding to the attacks. And it is true that no one country could tolerate rockets raining down on its citizens. Indeed, Israel has done a good job, a wonderful job, in painting the picture that the people of the Jewish state are the victims.

But reality on the ground tells a different story. Let's start with firepower. Israel has jet fighters, apache helicopters and missiles, drones and a nuclear bomb should the government wish to use it. On the Palestinian side, well, there isn't much except ineffective rockets fired from Gaza, which Prime Minister David Cameron described as a "prison camp" because of the fact that all its borders - land and sea - are besieged by the Israeli Defence Force. By the way, most of the rockets fired by the Palestinians landed in open fields. But that doesn't seem to matter in many people's calculation.

If the 2008 and 2012 wars are any lesson, this latest assault on Gaza will lead to more or less the same outcome - back to where they were before the escalation started. Peace, in the end, will continue to be pushed back even further.

Nevertheless, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his coalition government believe he can actually achieve something tangible out of this massive retaliation. Militarily speaking, probably not.

But politically, it is a big dent to the Palestinian unity government between the Fatah and Hamas.

The assault helps Netanyahu's government coalition to remain in tact, especially the coalition partners who have no qualms about doing all sorts of nasty things in occupied territories, including illegal expansion, that could humiliate the country's Western backers.

Besides, Israel has a new friend in Cairo now who probably doesn't think much of Hamas anyway, given the fact that the Palestinian Islamist movement is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Israel can come with all sort of justification it wants but as long as the Jewish state continues to occupy Palestinian territory, violence will continue. It's so sad that the Western countries who are backing Israel are somewhat indifferent to the reality on the ground in Gaza. But as the number of casualties and death counts continue to grow, more and more are coming out to call for a halt to the campaign.

Given the stated political necessities it is inconceivable that Netanyahu will call off his assault.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Israel-is-using-a-sledgehammer-to-crack-nuts-30238364.html

[thenation]2014-06-13[/thenation]

• Like 2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe not as much the "sledgehammer" as suggested in the opinion piece:

So far, as terrible as the Israeli strikes on Hamas have been for Gazan civilians, this remains a limited operation, not the type of large-scale military sweep seen in Israel’s 2006 war with Hezbollah in Lebanon or 2009’s Operation Cast Lead. Long-range Hamas missiles directed at Tel Aviv and Jerusalem might still trigger a much broader conflict, but not because Netanyahu wants one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-the-gaza-crisis/2014/07/11/e8c2ec0e-0861-11e4-8a6a-19355c7e870a_story.html

• Like 2

Antisemitism was alive and well after WW2, in most if not all countries in the world.

Facing the difficult question of what to do with the remaining Jewish population in Europe, the Western and Eastern countries, upon hearing that they would like to return to their homeland of aprox 2000 years ago, responded ...

Who lives there now ?  No one of consequence, just some Arab people. So let them invade and colonize.

This does not in any way negate the Terrorism that the Israeli people have - and continue - to reign on the Palestinian people.

If someone came into my country, flattened my house with a bulldozer, cut off my electricity and water, and waged economic warfare on me, I might fire a few rockets too.

And I am not Anti anything except Anti Fanatic

Is this your evidence? lol

Is this your evidence? lol

This is my understanding of the history of the beginning of Zionism.

Evidence - this is not a court of law.

I am sure of one thing only - you can not live for ever.

• Like 1

. The Balfour Declaration was signed in 1917 - well before WW2 - promising the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.

And what was done between then and the end of WW2 - Sweet FA

Until the question was raised of what to do after the war ...

Very convenient - we will use the Balfour Declaration as our excuse. Get them out of Europe. Problem solved.

I am not Pro Arab, or Pro Israel.

Just Anti Bully

• Like 2

This time around they fcked up by openly admitting using civilians as human shields, furthermore openly encouraging and forcing civilians in the line of fire.

I do not condone this any more than I condone the actions of Israel.

But to believe that one is right and the other is wrong is simple minded at best.

I am not Pro Arab, or Pro Israel.

Thou doth protest too much. It is pretty obvious which side you have taken.
By the way, plenty was done between The Balfour Declaration and  WW2. The Arabs and the Jews were fighting each other and both sides were fighting the Brits. There were lots of negotiations going on about such matters as making Palestine one country with two peoples with the Arabs in control of the government. As usual, the Jews accepted and the Arabs refused and kept on with the fighting, which, of course, they eventually lost..

Edited by Ulysses G.