Junta Leader Advises Thais Not To Be 'Slaves of Alcohol'

Lite Beer

Most governments urge their citizens to abstain from alcohol and tobacco, which are legal products in many countries. But how would they replace the rich revenue streams earned by taxing those products?

Be careful what you ask for :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most governments urge their citizens to abstain from alcohol and tobacco, which are legal products in many countries. But how would they replace the rich revenue streams earned by taxing those products?

Be careful what you ask for smile.png

I disagree. Most countries use taxation as a false pretense for abstination when, in which such circumstances, the purchase of alcohol and tobacco, as drugs, are perfectly legal. That is far from a means to the encouragement of abstinence and, in fact, encourages people to try to beat the 'system'.

IF a country truly meant the intent for its citizens to abstain then it would ban the product outright, would it not?

I'll drink to that!

In all seriousness, Thai men tend to be major drunks. I won't say all, but many. This is a good message.

However, I do have a problem with all of the Buddhist holidays that force everyone to live under Buddhist morals, by not selling alcohol. My wife and I can't even go out to a nice dinner and have a bottle of wine on these days.

It it was one or two days a year it would be one story, but it's more like 15 or 20, if you include the stupid election laws. Many of these fall on weekends, when we would normally go out.

Coming from the USA, where we have strict separation of church and state, I am offended by this.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but when I do want to go out and have a drink or two, I feel like I should be able to, without the Thai government telling me when I can and can't.

This is one part of this country that gets very old and tired.

So why not have a romantic night in, cook her dinner, get a chick flick on, later on slip a blue in the DVD player, bit of role playing, etc.

I'm sure she'd make it worth your while.

tongue.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Gawd whats next? Tips on religious devotion?

There is another country in the region that issues similar edicts and has an unelected government in power ; North Korea.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea does have an elected government in power. In recently held elections supreme leader Kim Jong-un was not only elected to the highest legislative body in North Korea, he won with the unanimous approval of his district, which had 100 per cent turnout! Voters also voted on the new roster of deputies for the 13th Supreme People's Assembly, the country's legislature. Governance of the country is done through rule of the majority. By all appearances North Korea is the embodiment of a democratic society!

In practice -

1) The majority is represented by the worker's class represented soley by the Communist Party.

2) Because competition between political parties is seen as the expression of conflicting interests (can cause confusion and unhappiness), there is no other political party other than the Communist party .

3) A single candidate is selected for each parliament seat every five years by the Communist Party to run for election. Voters can vote "yes" or "no."

4) The People's Assembly has little legislative power and when it is not in session (most of the time), its work is done by the Presidium that is composed of the Head of State (aka Supreme Leader) and members appointed by the Head of State. The Presidium not only can rescind the decrees, decisions and directives of the People’s Assembly, and suspend the implementation of "unwarranted" decisions of local People’s Assemblies, it can create its own legislation, decrees, and rules.

A country that has various democratic labels and devices (I call it "jewelry") attached to its governance really doesn't mean anything so long as there is an absolute authority in power. But in a roundabout way you are correct as to the bottom line. Thailand has been a "faux" democracy much like North Korea. .

I don't really understand what you try to tell....Thailand has many parties. North Korea has 2 and only one to vote for.

USA has 2.

Most European countries have 4-5.

What do you want to tell? If it is the amount of parties Thailand would be super democratic (I know it isn't)

I am all for freedom to do with ones body what you please as long as you don't bother others.

And there in lies the dilemma - alcohol quite often leads to 'bothering' others!

Thailand is NOT a secular nation. It is a Buddhist nation and you'd think everyone could follow the 5th precept at least a couple of times a year... kinda like CXhristians going to church only at Xmas and Easter...

Sure there are quite a lot of idiots who become even greater idiots when drunk. I am an atheist so why would I follow any religion they all are equally crazy to me.
Yeah, I'm agnostic... but I do show respect to the religions of the cultures I reside in. What exactly is your point?

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Be careful what you ask for :)

Quite easy...heavy fines for everyone who fails to drink responsibility--like the Western countries do that all the strongest protesters on this thread originate from. The coffers would overfloweth.

Prayuth could use good ole Chalerm as his poster boy for this campaign. Too much booze will turn you into a pathetic scumbag like this.

I wonder if a plan to have off-duty cops wearing balaclavas and driving round Thailand on motorbikes executing on sight anybody drinking or suspected to be drinking alcohol would have the Thaksinites crying Hallelujah as they did during his war on drugs? Double standards, much?

Just felt this deserved another look at.

Great post.

Has any one seen Chalerm lately? With out Thaksin to hold him up he turns out to be a pretty small man.wai2.gif

There is nothing wrong with having a drink, the trick is to know when you have had enough, especially if you have to drive.

No the trick is not driving when you have been drinking. If you are sitting in your front room watching a Thai soap or Fox news and hurting no one it should not matter if you have a few extra.wai.gif

Mind you it would probably take a few to turn either one of those on.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

There is nothing wrong with having a drink, the trick is to know when you have had enough, especially if you have to drive.

No the trick is not driving when you have been drinking. If you are sitting in your front room watching a Thai soap or Fox news and hurting no one it should not matter if you have a few extra.wai.gif

Mind you it would probably take a few to turn either one of those on.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

The only way to "stomach" FOX news is inebriated.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree; alcohol in Thailand should be the same as any other drug; heroin, cocaine, pot etc.

Possession should elicit the death sentence.

Many of Thailand's problems would be solved. I sincerely hope the junta is going in this direction.

I am glad to have a more moderate view of the world.

I wholeheartedly agree; alcohol in Thailand should be the same as any other drug; heroin, cocaine, pot etc.

Possession should elicit the death sentence.

Many of Thailand's problems would be solved. I sincerely hope the junta is going in this direction.

Just when you think TV posters couldn't get any more stupid w00t.gif

It may seem outlandish an inferior primitive brain; however alcohol is just as dangerous as heroin (perhaps more as it is so readily available) and should be treated as such. OR.....ALL drugs should be legal.

I will leave it to you to attempt to figure that one out.

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

I never saw my dad drunk, and my mum only a bit typsy and I went out of my way to not

be seen intoxicated by my own children when young.

What age did you start having kids? blink.png

okay

When I was young in the 60's and 70s I never saw my parents drunk, nor drink much at all.

(not that they did anyway, as I later realized, both were health nuts well before their time)

In the 90's when I had young children of my own, I made sure that

my alcohol consumption in front of them was minimal and they never saw me drunk.

Wasn't hard to do and I believe it has helped them be more sensible about their own drinking habits.

No point telling teenagers or adults what to do, so really all you can do is lead young children

in a better direction.

kowjai chaimai

It will never change.

What exactly wont change?

Do you work with The Min of Health?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thais will never stop drinking alcohol not even reduce. Edited by chongtak