Visa panic setting in....

Okay... I have read all the posts concerning the new visa rules that are in force now and seem to be coming on August 12 and now my visa concerns are reaching the panic stage. I say panic only because I am confused, worried and really have no idea what the state may be when I enter Swampy around the 18th of August this year from the US.

Okay... this is 'me':

• I do NOT need to work. That is to say I really don't need to but would if there was an offer to teach, lecture, or be of help. My funds come from investments I do not really keep a great deal of money in a bank account... just enough to pay my way.
  • I worked in the motion picture industry for over 28 years in NYC and LA.
  • I am 57 with no criminal record.
  • I am not married and my 2 children live in the US with their mother and I see them every major holiday (school vacation times sort of curtail those times) and I really want to live in Thai for as long as I can.
  • I have traveled to Thai for the past 3 years now spending about 7 months per usually in a Double Entry Tourist visa (with the usual 30-day extensions) and at times on Visa Exempt 30-day stamps with no problems at all. I have had a good number of the latter over that time going back to when we only got 15-days at a land crossing. But always keeping within the rules of the time.
  • All of those stamps, etc., are in my OLD passport. I now have a new one (new number) with NO stamps at all in it and am planning on going to the Thai Consulate here in LA for a new Double Entry 60-day though a local agent (whom I have used before). This new passport is a due to having my old one renewed just to be clear..... forgot that detail..
  • I have managed to find a wonderful Thai woman who works for the General Hospital in Mae Sot (19 years now). She is 41 with no kids and (no laughing here please!) it is a real relationship where marriage has been talked about but only in a cursory way (though neither of us have any intention at this time. She wants to finish out her time... 2 years remaining... at the hospital which is fine by me).

Okay... so here are my questions:

• Will the fact that I have nothing in my new passport mean that I will have no trouble getting my Double Entry Visa here in LA?
  • Or getting a new one if I decide to stay longer than April of 2015 in any of the usual places in the area?
  • Will having only the bare needs in my bank account here cause a problem if I have to show income (plus or minus $2000 per month)? I hate getting only the BS interest from a bank.. I like my money to work for me, hence the dislike of having any funds in a Thai bank. I know that that alone would make a Retirement Visa easy enough)... but come on... They offer even less than US banks and the rules makes it silly to contemplate. Besides ATM's are my best friends...lol.
  • Will I really need to book an outbound ticket (on top of my return ticket that will get me there in the first place) in order to stay for the full time? If so thank God for Air Asia... lol.
  • Would I need to have anything from my GF to show that I have connections with a Thai and her family there?

I ask for your advise and responses simply because I am confused and at a stage in my life where I try like hell to keep things simple and keep what I have made not only for me but also for my kids safe and working for me. Yes, I would love to live there 'full time', but right now being away for the majority of the rainy season works for me. But I am sure that there are some of you out there who know a good deal more than I do and have far more experience with Thai Immigration and the new rules and even, perhaps, ways around them that can point me in the more correct or better direction. Let me be clear on that last point, I have no intention of breaking any rules or laws. I simply want to figure out the best way to get what I would like to do done within the regulations. I believe that if you have nothing to hide from you have no need to be worried. I know we are talking about Thailand and therefore rules are no always followed and things can go either way depending upon who you actually talk to or is to stamp your passport, but I still live in hope.

Thank you all in advance... but do keep it real!

"...hence the dislike of having any funds in a Thai bank. I know that that alone would make a Retirement Visa easy enough)... but come on... They offer even less than US banks and the rules makes it silly to contemplate. Besides ATM's are my best friends...lol."

Staying in Thailand on Tourist Visas is not likely to work out well for you. Start with one, come over here, get an income affidavit from the U.S. Consulate in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, get your visa status upgraded to a Non-Immigrant O then extend it annually based on retirement. You won't need to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

Having said that, it's not very practical nor wise to live off ATM withdrawals. It's inefficient fee-wise and may put you on the spot if you suddenly need cash for something like a medical emergency.

Thai banks, by the way, offer at least 2.5% for one year fixed accounts. If you can do better than that at a U.S. bank, please let us know.

Agreed on conversion of tourist visa to O visa 90 day (Immigration in Bangkok, or possibly in CM).

I am going to do my second entry on a double entry visa, KL-CM, in a few more days. Then I will be doing the conversion as soon as feasible. Probably in about six weeks.

ATM's fees are crazy, as you said. I just wanted to add, I use XE to purchase baht and they wire it over to my account at Bank of Bangkok. I pay 21 usd dollars for this, but it is two months worth of money. I like it, because I can adjust the amount of baht I purchased, depending on the rates at the time I buy. It does take 7 days. Planning ahead solves the problem. This month, due to a move to Chiang Mai, I was unable to do this, and have been pulling baht out of ATM's, accumulation fees over 50 usd. However, I can average that out in the coming year by just transferring every 3 months...instead of two, using XE.

I do not wish to keep large sums here. Emergencies can be handled with wires.

If you have the equivalent of 800k baht in a US bank or 65k baht or a combination of the 2 to reach 800k baht you could get a non immigrant OA visa that would give you multiple one year entries for a year and if you get another 1 year entry and re-entry permit you can get another year of stay giving you a total stay of about 2 years without needing a new visa or getting an extension of stay. See: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

• Like 1

Ubonjoe's right, Lamariva1957, a retirement extension of an O visa is the easiest way to go. Open an account at Bangkok Bank and you'll have easy access to funds in Thailand in case of an emergency or if you lose to can't use your U.S. ATM card. It's easy to do ACH transfers of funds into your Bangkok Bank account via the internet because they have a commercial branch in NYC for a fraction of the cost of a wire transfer or ATM withdrawals. There are instructions on their website on how to do it once you set up an account in Thailand. No need to go to NYC to open an account there -- the money just flows thru their NYC branch on its way to your Thailand account.

• Like 1

As a US citizen, all you have to do is to go to a US consulate in Thailand and have an affidavit signed and notarized stating that you have the required 65K baht per month in income... Use this for income verification to file for an OA visa with a retirement extension... Easy Peasy...

The only way to get a OA visa is show financial proof at an embassy or consulate in your home country.

You get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for the extension of stay here.

It is also possible to enter on a tourist visa and do a change of visa status at immigration to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then apply for the extension.

If you have an AO visa from your home country you do not have to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand. The AO visa already comes with an extension of stay for one year. All you have to do is do a 90 day report from the date you enter Thailand.

To the original poster you need to keep money in the Bank in the United States so you are able to transfer money to Thailand with ease.

Just arrange for the retirement visa ...whether you do it all on your own to save money or use a visa agent to help you obtain everything that is involved.

I recommend you use an agent as it is so much less headache...but there is a price to be paid ...but it is well worth the price.

• Like 1

All good advice above, especially the uncomplicated path of the income statement for American citizens.

In regards to money management and using regular ATM withdrawals during your stay in Thailand, there are a number of threads on this forum about the benefits of a CHARLES SCHWAB account. Charles Schwab refunds to your account all international transaction fees. Their Customer Service Dept. is the best I have ever dealt with.

The account must be opened in the US. You are required to open a brokerage account at the same time but there is no requirement that it be used.

Edited by dddave

Bite the bullet, organize your finances with the requirement in a Thai bank & go get a retirement visa.

Simple, if not prepared to commit 800,000 bht to your account here, maybe you & your darling should pop across the border

& live in Burma

• Like 1

I did the O-A visa back in the states before moving here full time. I had to produce notorized proof of income from my then employer. I would guess in your situation a notorized proof of income would have to come from your bank or investment fund. Call the Thai embassy you will be dealing with for assistance with that requirement. I had to and even then it was a bit confusing because I was retiring in a couple of weeks. All the other requirements, medical, criminal history are on-line. Not hard to do, at least in my case, I knew the right people to speed it through and to notorize. Get your O-A and then multi-entry permit from Thai immigration, can't remember if I got mine from Thai Embassy in the states or not. The multi-entry is a little pricy if you don't go and come a lot but sure saves a lot of time and paper work hassle. Good luck.

Hey iamariva- Lots of good advice has been given BUT not all of your Q's have been answered, NOR time restrictions may prevent you from acting on their advice initially,and your concerns would still be of an adverse reflection.

I'll try to answer them succinctly as possible;-a) Should not,(if only on file in L.A.)OR ring anon &ask;cool.png No; c) need verification doc/letter;d) No;e) No

Hope this helps you Good Buddy smile.png

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

To the OP --

I am no expert, merely an American living in Thailand for several years, now on a retirement visa living in Chiang Mai.

Based on my experience, if you're an American over 50, getting a Thai retirement visa is easier than falling off a chair.

Here is what I did:

1. Went to U.S. Consulate, got a notarized statement of monthly income (in dollars). (see note 1) Notary fee: 1,550 baht.

2. Took the income statement and my passport to a reputable agency that assists with Thai visas, paid a fee (including

the fee charged by Immigration Office) totaling about 8,500 baht.

3. About 2 weeks later the agency called me, I picked up my passport with the retirement visa already in it.

Before I came to retire in Thailand, I had read the posts of many TV members complaining about the pain and agony of

getting a retirement visa in Thailand -- I was frankly dumbfound at how easy and quick it was for me.

A few notes and caveats:

1. I'm the one who calculated the monthly income figure and entered that figure on the income statement. I did not,

repeat, did not need to show any proof of income whatsoever. Up to no no one has ever asked for proof of income.

2. I have since heard that for non-Americans proof of income is a more complicated issue. I have no idea why that is.

3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong -- If you get a 30-day or 60-day tourist visa prior to entering Thailand, and if you

use the services of a reputable agency you can easily get your "Non-O" retirement visa without leaving the country.

To the OP --

I am no expert, merely an American living in Thailand for several years, now on a retirement visa living in Chiang Mai.

Based on my experience, if you're an American over 50, getting a Thai retirement visa is easier than falling off a chair.

Here is what I did:

1. Went to U.S. Consulate, got a notarized statement of monthly income (in dollars). (see note 1) Notary fee: 1,550 baht.

2. Took the income statement and my passport to a reputable agency that assists with Thai visas, paid a fee (including

the fee charged by Immigration Office) totaling about 8,500 baht.

3. About 2 weeks later the agency called me, I picked up my passport with the retirement visa already in it.

Before I came to retire in Thailand, I had read the posts of many TV members complaining about the pain and agony of

getting a retirement visa in Thailand -- I was frankly dumbfound at how easy and quick it was for me.

A few notes and caveats:

1. I'm the one who calculated the monthly income figure and entered that figure on the income statement. I did not,

repeat, did not need to show any proof of income whatsoever. Up to no no one has ever asked for proof of income.

2. I have since heard that for non-Americans proof of income is a more complicated issue. I have no idea why that is.

3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong -- If you get a 30-day or 60-day tourist visa prior to entering Thailand, and if you

use the services of a reputable agency you can easily get your "Non-O" retirement visa without leaving the country.

With respect to note #3: This is what I'm hearing as well. That if you arrive with a tourist visa from your home country (or I guess from anywhere as long as it was outside of Thailand), you can get the Non-O (with a "retirement extension" is the way I hear it...) without leaving Thailand, either at an Immigration Office yourself, or I guess through an agency. The Non-O is good for 90d, and the retirement extension for an additional year. Then you can obtain re-entry permits (even at the same time as the Non-O and retirement extension!) that enable you to leave & return without having to obtain a new visa back home (costs extra).

One other thing though. In addition to the proof of income letter from your own embassy or consulate, I'm told you need some sort of official-looking letter from wherever it is you're staying (on letterhead, signed & dated, etc.) that states that as of the date of the application you live at such & such <full address>.

If I've got any of this wrong, PLEASE correct me.

Edited by hawker9000

"Emergencies can be handled with wires."

Who will handle that for you? To whom, if you are even conscious, will you give your account numbers, your PIN numbers and such?

It's not necessary to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. You can get the retirement extension with any combination of cash and stated income. Or get the extension based solely on stated income but keep some worthwhile amount like 200,000 bank in the bank anyway.

I completely agree...all if you out there who don't have substantial amounts Ina Thai bank for medical emergencies are shaking in very thin ice! I would but the figure a bit higher...maybe a minimum of 250-300,000 baht. I don't know what concern people have about "Thai" banks...wasn't it the Western banking system that was on the verge of collapse only a few short years ago, while the Asian banks sailed through the crisis unscathed? Sure there is some risk, but there is risk in everything in life and the riskt of being stranded in a medical emergency and unable to access one's funds is a big one as well.

Most people never worry about it until it happens; but don't forget, as said above, one May be in no condition to access ones funds from abroad at a critical time if one falls ill. Even access in Thailand can be difficult but at least the funds are already here and arrangements can be made to access it. And if you are, do you have easy access to all your PINS and such and are you willing to give such personal information to hospital personnel if necessary. Do you have it pre-arranged with friends who have this information in case of an emergency?

Just arrange for the retirement visa ...whether you do it all on your own to save money or use a visa agent to help you obtain everything that is involved.

I recommend you use an agent as it is so much less headache...but there is a price to be paid ...but it is well worth the price.

What headache...gather 3 or 4 pieces of paper and that's it. At least in pattaya/Jomtien it's quick and easy...my last buddy who did it last month was in and out in 20 minutes. The only headache would be getting the income certificate, if not using a bank deposit) and traveling to a Bangkok embassy to get it and an agent couldn't even do that for someone anyway. Usually, one can get the income letter during the embassy visitations to ones area, at least in the case of this American op.

you think too much, and write too much!

you are 57 old .....so dont worry just get a retirment visa and thats it.

you dont need to get married at all.....just enjoy the rest of your life without complicating the thing.

Edited by VINCENT2012

I just did the Bank of Bangkok NY branch ACH transfer from a US bank into my BoB account. Took about 2 days and best I can figure out it cost me about 465 baht or about $15. Transferred $1000 and 31.649.95 hit my account. Today the XE rate indicates 32114.91 on $1000.

Not sure if that's a combination of fees/exchange rate or what.
I suspect it would be more favorable if I had transferred $20,000 or more.

I also did the ATM thing until AEON started the 150 baht fee too

I am over 50 and use the US Consulate letter for a retirement visa update/renewal each year and get a multiple entry every year.

Seems easy enough and no worries about Visa runs.

I breeze through immigration each and every time (so far).

Edited by Nowisee

I just did the Bank of Bangkok NY branch ACH transfer from a US bank into my BoB account. Took about 2 days and best I can figure out it cost me about 465 baht or about $15. Transferred $1000 and 31.649.95 hit my account. Today the XE rate indicates 32114.91 on $1000.

Not sure if that's a combination of fees/exchange rate or what.

I suspect it would be more favorable if I had transferred $20,000 or more.

I also did the ATM thing until AEON started the 150 baht fee too

I am over 50 and use the US Consulate letter for a retirement visa update/renewal each year and get a multiple entry every year.

Seems easy enough and no worries about Visa runs.

I breeze through immigration each and every time (so far).

The fee in New York is $5 which means you had $995 transferred in and then they deducted 200 baht for the local fee.

Calculating at 31.99 which was the rate for the 10th that works out to about right because I get 31,630 net.after taking out the 200 baht.

The OP should note that UbonJoe used the TT exchange rate provided by Bangkok Bank on their website.

Rates provided by XE are offshore trading rates and do not match actual Thai bank rates. Besides, many users of XE look at the market rate, which is an average of the buying and selling rates.

"Emergencies can be handled with wires."

Who will handle that for you? To whom, if you are even conscious, will you give your account numbers, your PIN numbers and such?

It's not necessary to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. You can get the retirement extension with any combination of cash and stated income. Or get the extension based solely on stated income but keep some worthwhile amount like 200,000 bank in the bank anyway.

I completely agree...all if you out there who don't have substantial amounts Ina Thai bank for medical emergencies are shaking in very thin ice! I would but the figure a bit higher...maybe a minimum of 250-300,000 baht. I don't know what concern people have about "Thai" banks...wasn't it the Western banking system that was on the verge of collapse only a few short years ago, while the Asian banks sailed through the crisis unscathed? Sure there is some risk, but there is risk in everything in life and the riskt of being stranded in a medical emergency and unable to access one's funds is a big one as well.

Most people never worry about it until it happens; but don't forget, as said above, one May be in no condition to access ones funds from abroad at a critical time if one falls ill. Even access in Thailand can be difficult but at least the funds are already here and arrangements can be made to access it. And if you are, do you have easy access to all your PINS and such and are you willing to give such personal information to hospital personnel if necessary. Do you have it pre-arranged with friends who have this information in case of an emergency?

...All just slightly under the USD 10,000 that triggers the special FATCA reporting (for U.S. taxpayers). (...assuming the exchange rate doesn't sink below 30THB/USD, and you have no other foreign accounts or assets anywhere...)

The OP should note that UbonJoe used the TT exchange rate provided by Bangkok Bank on their website.

Rates provided by XE are offshore trading rates and do not match actual Thai bank rates. Besides, many users of XE look at the market rate, which is an average of the buying and selling rates.

Always amuses me when people make a simple currency transfer into a complicated foreign currency trade...trying to shave one basis point in a $1000.00 transfer. Sheer absurdity. Just make your transfers and remember the larger the amount the smaller percentage the fees will be!