Thai Taekwondo star: 'My coach hit me'

webfact

ALLEGATION
Taekwondo star: 'My coach hit me'

The Nation

30238424-01_big.jpg
Chai Young Seok

BANGKOK: -- The taekwondo Association of Thailand will launch an investigation into national coach Chai Young Seok after his charge - Asian Championship bronze medallist Rungrawee Kurasa - alleged he physically assaulted her.

The 23-year-old taekwondo exponent claimed she was hit by the South Korean, who steered two Thais to Olympic medals in 2008 and 2012, after she was late for a fight at the Korean Open in Gyeongju on Friday.

Rungrawee said a member of Thai coaching staff was supposed to phone her when it was time to get ready for the 62kg bout but that did not happen and when she arrived at the venue her South Korean rival was already warming up. She lost the fight while Chai looked on.

It was later at a team meeting that she alleged the coach hit her in the face and stomach every time she answered one of his questions about why she was unprepared for the bout.

Although he apologised to her later that night, she felt he had gone too far and told her family in a phone call she would quit the national team and file a suit against him when she returns to Thailand with the squad on Thursday.

The taekwondo association's vice president Preecha Tortrakul said the body's president Pimol Srivikorn had ordered an investigation and would hold a press conference today at 2pm at the Sports Authority of Thailand.

"Coach Chai is a very serious person. He's a highly dedicated coach and can be very sorry if any athletes fail to get fully prepared," Preecha said.

"He will warn any athlete and give a punishment but Thais are a bit ill-disciplined and do not get used to strictness.

"However, the Taekwondo Association of Thailand president said he would investigate this issue and give justice for both parties."

Meanwhile, Athens Olympics bronze medallist Yaowapa Boorapolchai, who along with London Olympics silver medallist Buttree Puedpong was coached by Chai, said it was normal and acceptable to receive punishment from the coach.

"We were all punished, and sometimes even worse than this, when we did something wrong," she said.

"But we were fine with that because we understood he meant well. Maybe she is still young and hasn't got used to his style."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Taekwondo-star-My-coach-hit-me-30238424.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-14

taekwandoo it is a physical sport, fighting sport, full contact sport

Being hit is the sport.

In my young training years my coach use to belt the <deleted> out of me.

As famous Rocky would say " it's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can take the hit"

Best she joins knitting club if she can not take the heat

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Hitting her was going too far but the lazy cow deserved to be kicked off the team. She gets public funding...the least she could do is turn up on time and do her best. The team is better off without her.

The coach was in the wrong for hitting the girl, he needs to be reprimanded, or removed as he seems to have a history with this, but she also needed to be taught a lesson, ie, make all other team members do 300 head punches whilst in sumo stance with another person standing on their thighs, and the person that did the wrong thing would stand and watch, that's what I made my students do when it was needed and they all learned from it.

Ah the poor little diddums.

''Ref my opponent hit me disqualify them please.''

Rungrawee Kursa might well if all the population and media can come together get her complaint turned into a ''national massed debate.'' you know.whistling.gif

Rungrawee Kursa might well if all the population and media can come together get her complaint turned into a ''national massed debate.'' you know.whistling.gif

You didn't actually read the OP before commenting, did you? You didn't even read the title. Unsurprisingly.

Edited by fab4

Clearly, her pride/"face" was damaged (in her own opinion) beyond repair. She could not take the humiliation...and that is why she is quitting.

From a Special Forces perspective, you absolutely do not want quitters on the team. So, from that perspective, perhaps knitting or becoming a veterinarian may be better for her.

I thought taekwondo was a contact sport or do opponents just stand and stare at each other.

Anyway, they are dressed up like babies with all that stupid padding. Taekwondo is about fighting and hurting people, beating the sh*t out of your opponent. Bloody children, always need pampering.

An inflammatory post has been removed as well as the replies. If a member comes upon an objectionable post, use the Report button in the lower left corner of the post to report the post and a moderator will review and act accordingly.

• Like 1

You didn't actually read the OP before commenting, did you? You didn't even read the title. Unsurprisingly.

Take it easy. He's between drinks.. .

• Like 1

Time for some of the sports woman to man up a little, file a suit against him that's the answer sportsmanship at its very best sorted in the courts I will show you who is a better sports person just not cricket old girl sorry

1. Corporal Punishment is now banned in schools in Thailand.

2. Tae Kwon Do is a Martial Art. This fact should not be lost on coaches of sports variants of fighting disciplines.

3. Assault is assault.

Any questions?

Peace & Love. Cheers.