retirement visa from tourist visa

I was told by some expats in Pattaya that it is possible to enter Thailand on tourist visa and then convert in to retirement visa (at least in Pattaya).

Of course, if the age requirement, income requirement and lease requirement are fullfilled. Can somebody confirm it? Thanks

You cannot change to a retirement visa because it truly does not exist.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at some immigration offices. You can do this at any time during the 60 day tourist visa entry up to the last 15 days of it.

You will need to meet the financial requirement of 800k baht in a Thai bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 to apply for the change. The money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply but it will need to be in the bank for that period of time when you apply for the extension of stay.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at some immigration offices. You can do this at any time during the 60 day tourist visa entry up to the last 15 days of it.

You will need to meet the financial requirement of 800k baht in a Thai bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 to apply for the change. The money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply but it will need to be in the bank for that period of time when you apply for the extension of stay.

Thanks. So, If I bring a form from US Embassy, confirming my income, my passport (confirming my age) and a year long lease for the appartment,

I can get a required 90 day nonimmigrant visa entry? In this case, I do not even need a bank account? What else do I need?

Thanks

Thanks. So, If I bring a form from US Embassy, confirming my income, my passport (confirming my age) and a year long lease for the appartment,

I can get a required 90 day nonimmigrant visa entry? In this case, I do not even need a bank account? What else do I need?

Thanks

You are right. That's all. Bring copies of all pages of your passport and entry card, and 2 passport type pictures. You only will need a bank account showing money, at the following appointment for the retirement extension, 3 months after getting the NO visa.

Thanks

You would get an income affidavit from US embassy. Link for filling out affidavit on line or printing one out can be found here, http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html You will need to make an appointment to get it done.

You complete a TM86 change of visa status application form with an attached photo. You will need a copy of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card. Along with the lease and affidavit.

Since you will be doing the change at Jomtien immigration and will have an income affidavit they will do the extension at the same time they do the change. Because of this you should also have a completed TM7 extension application form with attached photos and the same copies needed for the change of visa status.

The fee for the change is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht.

You can download the forms here and print them two sided: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

• Like 1

Thanks

You are right. That's all. Bring copies of all pages of your passport and entry card, and 2 passport type pictures. You only will need a bank account showing money, at the following appointment for the retirement extension, 3 months after getting the NO visa.

"You only will need a bank account showing money, at the following appointment for the retirement extension, 3 months after getting the NO visa."

These days at Jomtien, where the O/P apparently will be applying, they appear to be allowing the conversion to Non-O entry and extension of stay based on retirement to be done at the same time, so there would be no 3 (or two) month wait after getting the Non-O visa entry stamp.

If the O/P is going solely with the income affidavit route, it is probably a good idea to have his bank book and photocopies of the pages anyway. Certainly if you are using the combined method you would need the original embassy affidavit and the original letter from your bank manager along with photocopies from your bank book. I always give them both to cover all bases even though it may not be a written requirement.

Edited by Suradit69

These days at Jomtien, where the O/P apparently will be applying, they appear to be allowing the conversion to Non-O entry and extension of stay based on retirement to be done at the same time, so there would be no 3 (or two) month wait after getting the Non-O visa entry stamp.

If the O/P is going solely with the income affidavit route, it is probably a good idea to have his bank book and photocopies of the pages anyway. Certainly if you are using the combined method you would need the original embassy affidavit and the original letter from your bank manager along with photocopies from your bank book. I always give them both to cover all bases even though it may not be a written requirement.

Now I am really confused. If I use just affidavit, why do I need banking account. I do have banking account. How much should I put into it? If 800 K why do I need affidavit?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Here is a check list regards to what ubonjoe explained to you earlier.

Your financial support can be no. 5 or 6 or 5&6 to be in a total of 800K

I took my husband to change a visa last year in Bangkok office, not a problem. But he used affidavit from US embassy.

post-30288-14053890565382_thumb.jpgpost-30288-14053890697218_thumb.jpg

As I heard there are so many changes about Visa application lately, giving them a call should not hurt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-30288-14053888100121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cuddlycat

ok I get some great information in another post a couple of days from you ubonjoe so thanks for that. But ok I get confused with when I have to go to change my extension of stay reason to retirement? I am on extension to study (Non O) and will change that to retirement extension. I still need to season the money 60 days before I apply yes?

Do I need to apply 15 days before or the same day I want to change it? Just bring all the paperwork for retirement extension?

Edited by INV

ok I get some great information in another post a couple of days from you ubonjoe so thanks for that. But ok I get confused with when I have to go to change my extension of stay reason to retirement? I am on extension to study (Non O) and will change that to retirement extension. I still need to season the money 60 days before I apply yes?

Do I need to apply 15 days before or the same day I want to change it? Just bring all the paperwork for retirement extension?

The this topic is about changing from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa.

You will only be changing the reason for your extension of stay. You must have the money in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply. You will do it on the date you stop attending school stated on a letter from the school.

Hi

I am fairly new to all this so some information on this visa issue would be greatful.

I was granted a non Im O multi entry visa in the UK earlier this year on my marital status.I am still working in Italy on a 28/28 rotation but this can change from time to time ie extra time at home . How will all this new ruleing affect me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I am fairly new to all this so some information on this visa issue would be greatful.

I was granted a non Im O multi entry visa in the UK earlier this year on my marital status.I am still working in Italy on a 28/28 rotation but this can change from time to time ie extra time at home . How will all this new ruleing affect me.

Thanks in advance.

No changes for you. Just keep using your visa the way you have been. If you need more than 90 days just leave and re-enter for another 90 days or apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife.

US citizen here, getting very close to retiring. I fully qualify 57, plenty of cash or monthly income proof. This VISA conversion seems easier than trying to do the Non Immigrant O from the USA and starting that way. Wasn't there a local police report and a medical report form needed also? This VISA conversion seems very simple.

Please be aware that the us consul have outreach sessions 4 times a year the last being here (pattaya) at the dusit hotel soi 5 1 week ago in pattaya,so no need to get the affadavit from bangkok when renewing retirement extension as the signed affadavit is valid for up to 6 months.

US citizen here, getting very close to retiring. I fully qualify 57, plenty of cash or monthly income proof. This VISA conversion seems easier than trying to do the Non Immigrant O from the USA and starting that way. Wasn't there a local police report and a medical report form needed also? This VISA conversion seems very simple.

You can do an income affidavit at the embassy.

For an extension of stay at immigration a police certificate and medical is not needed. That is only needed for getting a OA visa at an embassy or consulate.

You would not need to the conversion if you can get a single entry non-o from one of the honorary consulates in the states. Contact info for them here: www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=consulate_honorary

If not I suggest getting a single entry tourist visa. You only have 15 days to do the conversion if you come in on a 30 day entry. Another reason for getting a tourist visa is you don't need to have a onward ticket within 30 days of arrival if asked for it by the airline.

• Like 1

I did exactly what the OP wants ie change from double entry tourist to an extension of stay based on retirement back in February at Jomtien. Went in the morning with the correct paperwork and financial proof. Picked up in the afternoon easy. 3900 thb they gave me 15 months report every 90 days my address. Went the next day to get multiple re entry permit

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

I have been reading this..

A recapp on what I have read...

During your tourist visa, u can from reason for tourist to retirement.. And if I am thinking right, do not need to be of pensions age, so long you have x amount in bank.. I am 55/56 next month .. Hubby 57.. And at what point do u need funds jn yr bank account?

And with this visa,myou only report to immigration...

Thank you.

I have been reading this..

A recapp on what I have read...

During your tourist visa, u can from reason for tourist to retirement.. And if I am thinking right, do not need to be of pensions age, so long you have x amount in bank.. I am 55/56 next month .. Hubby 57.. And at what point do u need funds jn yr bank account?

And with this visa,myou only report to immigration...

Thank you.

You must be 50 or over to do it.

The money only has to be in the bank on the date of application in the name of applicant only (no joint accounts) to do the the change of visa status.

To apply for the extension of stay the money has to be in the bank for 60 days.

Only one spouse needs to get the extension and show the money. The other can get an extension as their dependent but they will need to get a non immigrant O visa from a nearby embassy or consulate order to apply for the extension. Immigration will not do the change of visa status for a dependent extension.

You will need to make reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country to immigration..

Hello ubonjoe

If going for a combination of the two, I appreciate that you need to get an affidavit from your embassy to confirm your income.

I have two questions:

1. When completing the affidavit / embassy form, do you state your income in your home currency only, and then leave it up to the Thai officials, when they consider your application, to get out their calculators to do the conversion to THB; or is it better to show the amount in THB first, with the figure in your home currency in brackets afterwards?

2. Do you have to show that this income is being transferred each month into Thailand to support your lifestyle? As I understand it, all you are saying on oath, by way of a legal document, is that you are in receipt of that income; you are not required to say where it is located. The presumption is, by the Thai authorities, that you can draw on it as required, to support yourself in Thailand.

Thanks for your help.

Hello ubonjoe

If going for a combination of the two, I appreciate that you need to get an affidavit from your embassy to confirm your income.

I have two questions:

1. When completing the affidavit / embassy form, do you state your income in your home currency only, and then leave it up to the Thai officials, when they consider your application, to get out their calculators to do the conversion to THB; or is it better to show the amount in THB first, with the figure in your home currency in brackets afterwards?

2. Do you have to show that this income is being transferred each month into Thailand to support your lifestyle? As I understand it, all you are saying on oath, by way of a legal document, is that you are in receipt of that income; you are not required to say where it is located. The presumption is, by the Thai authorities, that you can draw on it as required, to support yourself in Thailand.

Thanks for your help.

1. Immigration will calculate the amount in baht on the date you apply for the extension. You can only do the affidavit in your home currency

2. Most immigration office do not ask for any back up proof to the income affidavit. And if they do there is no rule that says you have to bring the full amount into the country,

If they asked for back proof it would be best to show money coming into a Thai bank account. If you were getting your money by ATM transaction you would need to show statements that show those transaction or ATM receipts to prove it.

Can you change to retirement from visa waiver?

How long does the process take in total from the date of application? Do you get the retirement visa right away?

I've seen things about "no criminal record" being required. How would you document no criminal record in your home country if you are already in Thailand?

If you are applying based on income, and your income is substantial, do you have to have a Thai bank account at all? The way I read it it seems that you need money in a Thai bank OR income.

Edited by moto77

If you read previous responses, it is clearly can be done in 30 days: all you need is proof of income and one-year lease. The whole thing can be done in one day in Immigration. My question is really whether the tourist visa required legally for conversion or 30 day exemption (or waiver )is enough. If one of the Administrators (who have first hand knowldege) can clarify, I would appreciate.

Edited by borisr