Rimping - From the largest to the smallest

momoha

Hi,

I would love to establish a list of all the Rimping Supermarkets sorted by size. I know the largest one is in Promenada, but what about the others?

I could do a field trip by myself, but I thought maybe some of the people here have enough experience with those markets to give me the information.

Thanks!

Promenada

Riverside (Nawarat)

Meechok

Hang Dong (Kad Farang) when it's finished

Nim City

Star Avenue

JJ Market

Mae Hia market

I noticed you did not include Maya in the list. Unless they have another name there.

The one thing I have noticed about them is they have narrow aisles and while they may not have the arera they may have the most goods.

Can't say for sure as I was only there the once and put off by their narrow aisles.

Promenada

Riverside (Nawarat)

Meechok

Hang Dong (Kad Farang) when it's finished

Nim City

Star Avenue

JJ Market

Mae Hia market

I noticed you did not include Maya in the list. Unless they have another name there.

The one thing I have noticed about them is they have narrow aisles and while they may not have the arera they may have the most goods.

Can't say for sure as I was only there the once and put off by their narrow aisles.

Rimping currently has nine branches, including Maya, which has a Japanese-type decor.

1. JJ Market
  2. Kad Farang - being expanded
  3. Mae Hia market
  4. Maya Mall
  5. Meechok
  6. Nawarat Riverside
  7. Nim City Daily
  8. Promenada Resort Mall
  9. Star Avenue

There was a useful locator map of all the stores on a full page ad of CityLife a while ago.

Is this a real thread? <deleted> size of a supermarket.......yawn

Well, I would think that the biggest Rimping has the most variety of things. So when I want something rare, I would like to have another option than going to Promenada which is super far from my home. Exemple: I wanted relish a few weeks ago, I did a few Rimping and finally had to go to Promenada to find some.

Edited by momoha

There are some small shops. To be practical without lists, the Mee Chok, riverside (original store), and store near Airport Plaza are certainly the larger ones. I have heard rave reviews about one or other stores. Nontheless, there really is not so much difference between large stores, once you get past the "pocket markets," as in JJ market and Mae Hia.

There is no guarantee you will get exactly what you want in stock at any particular larger store. There are too many variables to contend with. The differences, important to some and not so importat to others, are the bakery, et cetera.

Then, just ask a manager to help you!

Up to you. Go shopping!

re

Stay tuned we do hamburger threads and pizza threads.

Buckle up and get ready for the ride of your life

you forgot the superb chicken tika massala from curry pot !

how could you ?

dave2 ... a once a week addict :(

post-42592-0-24580500-1405440900_thumb.j

re

how could you ?

dave2 ... a once a week addict sad.png

My humble apologies. How disrespectful of me. I shall instruct the wife to lash me 50 times with a wet noodle.

I hope that will meet with your criteria for forgiveness.wai.gif

Where is Curry Pot? I remember seeing it when I was riding around on my bicycle and wondered if it is any good. It sounds worth checking out.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Where is Curry Pot? I remember seeing it when I was riding around on my bicycle and wondered if it is any good. It sounds worth checking out.

The only one I know is in Kad Suan Kaew, went there twice when I arrived in CM 4 years ago - not impressed and never been back.

Tops doesn't have the range of imports that Rimping stock, and Tops prices are higher. Their UK Waitrose product line is very good though. Eye candy [display only] is superior at Central Airport Tops, Nim City Rimping not far behind.

Buckle up and get ready for the ride of your life.tongue.png

Wait til the tide wads start babbling on about 20 baht tips...

• Like 1

I have noticed that some Rimping supermarkets are bigger than others.

Some of the Tops supermarkets are bigger than the Rimping ones but I think some are also smaller.

Tesco's seem to be bigger than Rimping but not the small 24 hour Tescos of course.

Big C are probably bigger than most of the other supermarkets.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The only one I know is in Kad Suan Kaew, went there twice when I arrived in CM 4 years ago - not impressed and never been back.

Is this is the same as Dave2 mentioned, I also tried Curry Pot at KSK.

It was by far the worst chicken curry that I have ever had in Chiang Mai and I've had quite a few bad curries.

I pop into KSK quite frequently for a reason and when passing no one is ever sitting there, not a good sign.

However, finding good Indian food in Chiang Mai is a lottery, so Curry Pot is not on its own.

Is this is the same as Dave2 mentioned, I also tried Curry Pot at KSK.

It was by far the worst chicken curry that I have ever had in Chiang Mai and I've had quite a few bad curries.

I pop into KSK quite frequently for a reason and when passing no one is ever sitting there, not a good sign.

However, finding good Indian food in Chiang Mai is a lottery, so Curry Pot is not on its own.

So which place is the lottery winner, which Indian restaurant is worth a try?

Is this a real thread? size of a supermarket.......yawn

Buckle up and get ready for the ride of your life.tongue.png

Oh wow, been craving a good cheeseburger. Got one of the Rimpings to grind up some kind of marbled meat for me. Cost more, but it was tasty!
  • Like 1

I tried some Indian curry the other night, in the old town. Name of place? The food good, reasonable price and quantities. But the place was dirty, the menu half unreadable due to water stains, tablecloth (oilcloth) torn and frayed, fork the lowest possible quality: don't the merchants care about customer concerns and think only the mouth taste is why we eat there?

I have noticed in CM, newbie here, that i find incredible inefficiencies built into the system and fully accepted by the shoppers at large. Supermarkets, restaurants, dry goods shops all seem to have a lethargy and outlook from the 1980s era. Not a complaint only an observation. I am adjusting (regressing).

I tried an Indian curry place in the Zoe on Yellow a few days ago. It was surprisingly good. There are a few curry places in the area but the one inside the area (Surrounded by bars) is perhaps the best Ive tried thus far.

Sorry this is getting away from the OP...... Ive found Rimping near Iron bridge to be good but Meechock Plaza branch to have a bigger variety. Havent been to Promenada yet, maybe when the rain stops!

Well, I would think that the biggest Rimping has the most variety of things. So when I want something rare, I would like to have another option than going to Promenada which is super far from my home. Exemple: I wanted relish a few weeks ago, I did a few Rimping and finally had to go to Promenada to find some.

Most of the times you can find sweet relish at the Rimping across from the Airport Plaza mall...... I think I've even gotten some before at Makro....

re

how could you ?

dave2 ... a once a week addict sad.png

My humble apologies. How disrespectful of me. I shall instruct the wife to lash me 50 times with a wet noodle.

I hope that will meet with your criteria for forgiveness.wai.gif

Pardon me for butting in...... but if your wife needs a place to buy that noodle......pain and gain are so much better with a Shan Noodle.....tongue.png

I tried some Indian curry the other night, in the old town. Name of place? The food good, reasonable price and quantities. But the place was dirty, the menu half unreadable due to water stains, tablecloth (oilcloth) torn and frayed, fork the lowest possible quality: don't the merchants care about customer concerns and think only the mouth taste is why we eat there?

I have noticed in CM, newbie here, that i find incredible inefficiencies built into the system and fully accepted by the shoppers at large. Supermarkets, restaurants, dry goods shops all seem to have a lethargy and outlook from the 1980s era. Not a complaint only an observation. I am adjusting (regressing).

Yes, very old fashioned. No overweight 15 year olds manning the one counter that is open with a huge queue, blaring announcements regarding red light specials and staff who actually know where things are on the shelf and will go and get them for you. I know which I prefer,

Edited by harrry