Democrats welcome Thai military-dominated legislature

webfact

Democrats Welcome Military-Dominated Legislature
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — The Democrat Party’s deputy leader has thrown his support behind a military-dominated National Legislative Assembly, which is expected to be formed later this year.

“There has to be a guarantee that they can control the majority in the Assembly,” said Pinit Intarasombat, referring to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), which seized power in a coup d’état on 22 May.

“The government has to be confident that it has a majority [in the Parliament],” he said. “If the NCPO cannot control the majority, the methods of reforms will not be achieved.”

Mr. Pinit's comment followed reports that at least half of the National Assembly seats in the interim government will be filled by military officers loyal to the NCPO. The reports have raised concerns among pro-democracy activists that the military will continue to dominate Thai politics long after it cedes administrative power to an interim government.

According to NCPO leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha's roadmap for the country, the interim governement will be appointed in September and tasked with carrying out a series of constitutional reforms. The next election will be held in October 2015 at the earliest and only if conditions are deemed stable.

Gen. Prayuth has also indicated that the junta will reserve the authority to intervene in matters of "national security" even after the interim government is formed.

The 22 May coup followed six months of protests aimed at toppling the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and replacing it with an unelected people’s council to carry out unspecified “national reforms.” In solidarity with the anti-government protesters, the Democrat Party boycotted the 2 February poll, accusing Ms. Yingluck’s government of widespread corruption and demanding reforms before elections.

The Democrat Party, which fields most of its support from Bangkok and southern Thailand, has lost to political parties backed by Ms. Yingluck’s brother and former premier, Thaksin Shinawatra, in every national election since 2001. In 2006, the Democrat Party helped pave the way for the military coup that ousted Mr. Thaksin and led to constitutional reforms that made Thailand's electoral system less democratic.

"I'm not concerned with the persons [in the National Assembly],” Democrat Party leader Mr. Pinit said today. “I am concerned with how they will reform the country. I will evaluate them based on the interim charter and their policies in terms of reform."

This May, Mr. Pinit accused the former government of being a "dictatorship of the majority" for its majority rule in the Parliament.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1405418476

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-15

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Mr. Pinit's comment followed reports that at least half of the National Assembly seats in the interim government will be filled by military officers loyal to the NCPO. The reports have raised concerns among pro-democracy activists that the military will continue to dominate Thai politics long after it cedes administrative power to an interim government."

That was a certainty, not going to let go very easily.

• Like 1

They should change their name. For sure they are not a Democratic party. How about the Kiss Ass party.

Still sour grapes Bob ?? After all this get a good mixture of different views, all decent values of course, refreshing start after the aftermath of untrustworthy government.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They should change their name. For sure they are not a Democratic party. How about the Kiss Ass party.

Still sour grapes Bob ?? After all this get a good mixture of different views, all decent values of course, refreshing start after the aftermath of untrustworthy government.

I see your still wearing your yellow skirt.

• Like 1

Might be a good time to change the party name then!

How about Dictocrats?

Why..

You seem to forget it was the arrogance of Taksin to be included in the amnesty that brought this to happen. Democrats never tabled that, the PTP did.

Keep the blame where it should be please.

Do you ever laugh?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I see your still wearing your yellow skirt.

Why yellow ?? anyone that knew about the last non governing government did not have to buy a yellow or any other colour. like me they disapproved of corruption and non democratic governing. Easy as that, but for you that's hard to swallow.

Bob really weather you like a bit of military rule or not surely you can see the improvements taking place, I just do not agree with bad governance. Simple as that.

pathetic Dems show they are out of touch, again, with mainstream Thais and will lose AGAIN in any election (if it is allowed)

Why would there need to be an election, soon Thailand will have a functioning assembly, with all the right people represented, a benevolent Junta in the background to stear them in the right direction, and the support of the Democratic Party! An election would be a distraction, and besides, it could only impede the steady process of reconciliation!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

pathetic Dems show they are out of touch, again, with mainstream Thais and will lose AGAIN in any election (if it is allowed)

Well losing is one thing--but having to get kicked out is another. Who are the mainstream Thais now ??? or are you losing touch.

Why would there need to be an election, soon Thailand will have a functioning assembly, with all the right people represented, a benevolent Junta in the background to stear them in the right direction, and the support of the Democratic Party! An election would be a distraction, and besides, it could only impede the steady process of reconciliation!

Yes, we certainly don't want elections interfering with democracy.

I loved this as it is true, that is why you got a well deserved like, welcome to the fold and I 'm delighted you have come round to the mainstream thinking.thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

I'll leave it up to you to decide if I've fallen off my bike on the road to Damascus, or whether you need to change the batteries on your irony meter!

I loved this as it is true, that is why you got a well deserved like, welcome to the fold and I 'm delighted you have come round to the mainstream thinking.thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

My sarcasm flew over your head and earned a like, amazing.

• Like 2

How about Dictocrats?

Why..

You seem to forget it was the arrogance of Taksin to be included in the amnesty that brought this to happen. Democrats never tabled that, the PTP did.

Eye for an eye will only turn the whole world blind. Two wrongs can never make a right.

My sarcasm flew over your head and earned a like, amazing.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Late April fool. Do you seriously believe that I thought you had a re think, it was my sarcasm in my reply, best laugh for a long time.

You will never admit things here in Thailand are for the better now. enjoy your postings I do.

• Like 1

How about Dictocrats?

Why..

Robblok, the military has been involved politics here long before Thaksin entered the stage. It was well expected that they would oppose anything that goes against the plans of the ammarts. It's a never-ending cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Do you ever laugh?

Quite a lot when i read the farang redshirts post. You ?

I laugh more when I read the farang yellow shirt posts. Blinders nailed to their skulls, ready with sizzling accusations of anyone who says anything they don't like being "red tinted spectacle-wearing, ear medicine guzzling, apologists" blah blah blah

Amused yawn inserted here.

tongue.png

• Like 1

Yes this is all about Thaksin but its got zilch to do with corruption. Yes he is corrupt but so are all of them. Yes they want to get the Shinawatras out of Thailand but its got nothing, absolutely nothing to do with corruption. What will it take for some posters to spend a few hours getting information from another source

Edited by city

How about Dictocrats?

Why..

Robblok, the military has been involved politics here long before Thaksin entered the stage. It was well expected that they would oppose anything that goes against the plans of the ammarts. It's a never-ending cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The coup would never have happened if Taksin had not gone for his amnesty. That is a fact there would be no support for it.

• Like 2