Suthep becomes a monk

webfact

Suthep becomes a monk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The People's Democratic for Reform Committee (PDRC) leader and former Democrat Party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban has been ordained as a Buddhist monk at Wat Tha Sai in his home province of Surat Thani.

He will be staying at the Suan Mokkh forest monastery in the same province and has yet to specify when he will leave monkhood. As leader of the PDRC, Suthep led a seven-month-long campaign to overthrow the Yingluck Shinawatra government. 

PDRC's street protests and seizure of government offices, as well as violent retaliations using weapons of war that resulted in many deaths and injuries, were finally brought to an end when the military seized power on May 22.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suthep-becomes-a-monk-30238612.html

[thenation]2014-07-16[/thenation]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this earlier and the pics.

Hes well qualified to walk the streets

I just won a another bet of a beer from one of my friends since I said he would as soon as I saw his kid had ordained and  was told to shut up by the Junta biggrin.png

If he starts going around and blessing houses or cars etc ill win a full blown meal thumbsup.gif

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

Does this mean that there will be no charges or prosecution while a monk ?

I suppose he's got time on his hands now.

I don't know the situation regarding prosecution whilst a monk but I would guess it's still going to happen even if he has to be told to leave for it to happen.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.

I can't see the cases regarding the deaths in 2010 going very far as there wasn't a lot to them anyway and they might be a bit of a problem with the army. On the other hand the general might want to show his balance by continuing.

" The People's Democratic for Reform Committee (PDRC) leader and former Democrat Party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban has been ordained as a Buddhist monk at Wat Tha Sai in his home province of Surat Thani."

From what I have been reading in the news lately, this is a good move when one needs to replenish his finances, get a new Porsche, give his meer nois Gucci bags and other goodies, and still be worshipped. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

" The People's Democratic for Reform Committee (PDRC) leader and former Democrat Party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban has been ordained as a Buddhist monk at Wat Tha Sai in his home province of Surat Thani."

From what I have been reading in the news lately, this is a good move when one needs to replenish his finances, get a new Porsche, give his meer nois Gucci bags and other goodies, and still be worshipped. thumbsup.gif

Uh.... he's married right? Just wondering......

This sends a clear message to General Prayuth that he's staying out of politics for the time being, which is a good thing anyway anyone looks at it.

Or maybe General Prayuth sent a clear message/suggestion to Khun Suthep? thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

He seems old for this, wouldn't he have done this before?  Or do Thais do it more than once in their lives in some cases?

Many do it more than once. Many often recieve the nickname of 'often' if the have a history of disrobing and re-ordaining.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately yet again the Temple becomes both a metaphorical and literal refuge for those on the run from the law.

Assuming you're on the topic of Suthep having become a monk could you please explain your "literal refuge for those on the run from the law" ?

• Like 1

Oh come on people, he is probably going to be a monk for a week for good luck as many thousands of Thais do every year. If you think he is trying to become a monk so the courts won't prosecute him then you have got some very strange ideas....

As if the courts or anyone else  would try and do anything to him. He has far to much dirt on many people complicit in the run up to the military taking power.

They will let anyone in. And it does not have to be a lifetime contract. Good place to hang until things return to "normal" and he can get back to what he does so well.

The Sangha does not "allow anyone in". You may not enter the monkhood if you are in debt, on the run from a criminal offence or (more puzzlingly) if you suffer from a physical handicap such as loss of a limb.

Now I am really confused! Has he now given away all his wealth, house, car wife etc, as that is one of the main tenets of becoming a monk! Does he not have to study Buddhism for many years and pass exams before being ordained? Or does he just see it as a licence to continue his evil ways like the other PDRC monk, and has been let in by the back door. I respect genuine Buddhists and particularly genuine monks, but there are very few who actually divest themselves of everything and live the life as promulgated by the great Buddhist teachers.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app